Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

AFAIK, it is on CD4 of the box. And on the highlights CD and 2LP.

2. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

The DTS-HD Master Audio lossless track for the 5.1 audio only BluRay contains a lossy DTS ‘core’ that could easily have been used for a separate DVD. That said, if one cannot make use of the lossless DTS-HD MA track on BluRay player due to using an older AV receiver/processor via TOSlink optical, a BluRay player willl extract the DTS core on the fly for backwards compatibility.

Since 2014, all Floyd & solo David 5.1 audio releases have had BR & DVD version, although not necessarily in the same package.
    • 2014 TDB 5.1. BR in the 20th anniversary box, DVD available separately.
    • 2014 TER 5.1. CD/BR & CD/DVD boxes available individual.
    • 2015 RTL 5.1. BR & DVD available although in individual boxes, CD/DVD & CD/BR.
    • 2016 quad mixes of AHM & Echoes on both BR & DVD. (Yes, Meddle 5.1 on the original big box BR as a hidden track with no DVD equivalent.)
    Not sure if having 2019 AMLOR & TDB as BluRay only signifies a shift of future Floyd 5.1 & vintage quad reissues exclusively to formats that can do lossless, or even the (remote) possibility of a separate DVD release for AMLOR 2019 as per the standalone 20th TDB anniversary DVD.

3. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

Agreed on all points.

IMO this image would look a lot better if they had bent real lampposts and photographed them rather than just photoshopping them. It just looks amateurish. Surely the budget would have stretched to that.

ARK, phil.jp, Buran1988 and 3 others like this.
  4. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

I was going to post a similar comparison, including the Immersion box sets though, so since 2011. So going on their previous releases and the fact that plenty of other high profile bands still use DVD for surround, it's a strange omission.

The surround mixes, especially the unreleased AMLoR and The Division Bell, which had a slightly restrictive previous release (costly Bluray, briefly available, unannounced and very limited DVD), are big selling points of the box.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    coffeetime likes this.
  5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Their relationship is pretty bad at the moment. During their recent meeting Roger apparently rejected a "peace plan".

St. Troy and Raziel666 like this.
  6. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I thought it was David that rejected the peace plan?

phil.jp and jonnyslb like this.
  7. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

That's what people assumed.

Raziel666 likes this.
  8. Raziel666

Raziel666 Forum Resident

Yes, I thought RW said that DG rejected "his" peace offering, or something to these words.

tommyball likes this.
  9. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I have a quote from a post by Polly who denied this. Someone asked, "Did DG really reject RWs a peace plan?" Polly replied, "No. In fact, other way around."

10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Okay that's puzzling.

Karmageddon likes this.
  11. Raziel666

Raziel666 Forum Resident

Interesting to have this discussed on social media (presumably). Do you have a link for this conversation? :)

(of course, it's not uncommon for both sides of an argument to blame one another)

Bill007 likes this.
  12. vikerii

vikerii Well-Known Member

Interesting, thanks for the update. Kind of annoys me that these two grown men preach for peace between nations, yet can't even achieve peace between two people.

ARK, Bill007, Liquid77 and 2 others like this.
  13. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

14. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yes, sad. But I wouldn't make any assumptions about who said what.

Frans T and vikerii like this.
  15. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Picture didn’t load, was it a screenshot?

Hattipper likes this.
  16. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yes, and I can see that it displaying properly here.

17. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

All I get is this:

Hattipper and tommyball like this.
  18. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

Mine was sent today!

19. OAI

OAI Forum Resident

Thank you very much for this! I was a few feet in front of David at Knebworth, yes it was wet :) It doesn't bother me a bit if he does a shorter solo, all I'm looking for is a complete representation of what was performed LIVE.
    So Knebworth CN Box 8:14, Highlites disk 7:43, original knebworth cd 8:57 -disappointing as we're lost 33 seconds.
    DSOT CN Box 9:54, original vhs 8:50 original cd 8:56 -Excellent :)
    Pulse CN Box 9:36, Pulse orignal cd 9:28 -Youtube version 10:42 disappointing still missing a hell of a lot.

I finally pulled the trigger on this thing this morning. Amazon claims it will be delivered the day it's released, so although I feel I'm paying double what I would in a couple of weeks, I'm not sure I can keep reading about it and be happy not having my greasy fingers on it... :)

JulesRules and John Kelman like this.
  20. OAI

OAI Forum Resident

Very puzzling, wish someone would share the entire story starting with what exactly this "peace plan" was. We have Roger getting out in front of it with the interview in Rolling Stone mag claiming David rejected it and Polly saying other way around?...they're in their mid-70s and still not tired of fighting I guess. Pretty sad really.

21. SilverCheek

SilverCheek Forum Resident

Mine also! Joy!

StormCloud and jonnyslb like this.
  22. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

CN in DSOT VHS was 7:55

JulesRules and OAI like this.
  23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I tried opening the picture on a separate tab and seems it doesn't exist (on Dropbox) anymore.

JulesRules, Hattipper and tommyball like this.
  24. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

On the PF podcast Gilmour talks about the 88 concert film being shot on film originally, and now they have transferred it properly in 4K

Is this included in the box?

25. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Yes, as a 1080P blu-ray. And a DVD. Not as a 4K UHD disc, however.