Frank Sinatra Set from Sony/Legacy, 1935-1955 Radio Performances, "A Voice on Air"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ronald Sarbo, Aug 26, 2015.

1. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

I have to share with you guys, most of you know that one of my special interest's collecting Sinatra, is, old radio shows. In the 40 plus years of
    collecting I would say I have acquired quite a bit of Sinatra on radio. I recently acquired a French shortwave broadcast of Sinatra at The Paramount Theater
    in New York. the broadcast is dated Jan 1951, the announcer speaks in French, but the rest is unmistakably Sinatra & Dagmar. This is what I live for collecting Sinatra. I believe this was just discovered, and it is a gem, the singing is superb.

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Interesting! How's the audio quality overall?

3. kennyluc1

Very good … remember it was explained to me as a " shortwave " broadcast. Sinatra does 6 songs including "April In Paris "
    He did sing it on the radio before, but the vocal sounds like Capitol. He also does a parody of " Rag Mop " substituting Dagmar's name for Rag Mop.

4. kennyluc1

Martin I'm sure you are aware of this. Isn't it exciting ?

5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I have not heard it, Kenny. Sounds very cool...

6. D.B.

D.B. Forum Resident

Oh yeah, In The Blue of the Evening is a great compilation, sounds pretty nice too (informal judgment from recent listening). It was my first Sinatra CD, just happened across it at the small local record store when it came out.

I've just bought A Voice On Air and Lost & Found. If I enjoyed In The Blue Of The Evening, these will really take it to the next level. Especially the box set with the clever, creative editing. Can't wait to get listening!

Richard--W, MMM and rangerjohn like this.
  7. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

The radio shows are a good place to start D.B. You'll acclimate to the new climate as easy as breathing. Soon you'll segue into The Voice, Songs For Young Lovers, In the Wee Small Hours, and Songs For Swingin' Lovers. You're going to find that listening to Sinatra is continually rewarding. I started listening seriously about twenty years ago; after I had turned forty. I should have started twenty years sooner.

Kenny, I want to hear this broadcast. Please?

D.B. likes this.
  8. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

This wonderful set for £12.99 on amazon.co.uk today.

Simon A likes this.
  9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

IIRC, this lucky girl won a contest and the prize was to sit in on radio show rehearsal.

Richard--W, Hep Alien, Kkfan and 2 others like this.
  11. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

She is enjoying it! She is clutching that hand hard!

12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Caption at Getty Images :

“Popular singer Frank Sinatra singing Close to You in CBS radio broadcasting studio as his ardent admirer Rita Stearns, the winner of the Why I Like Frank Sinatra contest, looks on, in the audience. (Photo by Herbert Gehr/The LIFE Images Collection/Getty Images)”

D.B., Richard--W, Hep Alien and 5 others like this.
  13. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Thanks @Bob F See, I remember stuff like that...but ask me what I ate for dinner last night????? :magoo::magoo::magoo:

stevelucille, roda12, Kkfan and 3 others like this.
  14. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

As I mentioned the other day in another thread regarding the box set Standing Room Only, I haven't got the time or energy to do a lot of research, so please enlighten me: If I already have the Columbia box set A Voice In Time, how badly do I need A Voice On Air? I think I already know the answer, but I need to hear it from the hardcore Sinatra fans on this forum before I purchase this box set. A Voice On Air should be in my Sinatra collection, shouldn't it?

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I'm not an expert but for what it's worth I have all three of those boxed sets and A Voice On Air is my favourite by some way.

Simon A, Hep Alien, kennyluc1 and 3 others like this.
  16. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

In my opinion, A Voice On the Air is indispensable. Some truly landmark performances are presented there, such as "Why Try to Change Me Now?"

17. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

A Voice on Air is an essential addition to Frank's other Columbia releases and contains many previously unreleased (in digital form) radio recordings. A companion disc, Frank Sinatra ‎– Lost and Found – The Radio Years, was also issued by the Smithsonian Museum in collaboration with Columbia Records. So this makes 5 CDs worth of superb historical performances you need to ass to your Sinatra collection. :)

Smithsonian Media Announces Exclusive Release of "Frank Sinatra: Lost and Found—The Radio Years" CD

[​IMG]

18. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

:agree:

19. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I listened to some early (1949) episodes of Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar on a drive across the midwest last week, and was surprised to catch the name Mark Warnow (conductor on some of the tracks in this Sinatra set) in the credits. Apparently he was musical director for the series, at least early on in the series' 13-year run.

Pants Party, Hep Alien, MMM and 4 others like this.
  20. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I just received an email from the Smithsonian “announcing” the release of Lost & Found. Is there something new that’s been added to the previous release? Or is it just recycling of previous announcements?

MarkusGermany likes this.
  21. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Perhaps they had enough demand to justify a second pressing. The announcement you have received could also have been by mistake.

CBackley likes this.
  22. Richard--W

regarding "Platinum Blues" from To Be Perfectly Frank.

thanks Kenny, while reviewing the thread I saw your alert on this disc a year and a half ago.
    I had no luck then but found it today. It will take two weeks to arrive from the U.K.
    There's an entry on discogs:

Frank Sinatra - I've Got The World On A String

I wonder if the CD is a needle-drop from the vinyl edition.

kennyluc1 likes this.
  23. Richard--W

Same question.
    Why can't the Hollywood Bowl concerts be released yesterday?

Hard to believe it's been five years since A VOICE ON AIR and LOST &
    FOUND were released.
    I thought surely they'd follow it up with another, similar collection box
    of vintage material preserved and remastered using the same methods.

24. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

If it sold well enough for the SONY brass, we'd have had one already.

25. Richard--W

I'm not convinced it has anything to do with money.
    I think it has more to do with their attitude.
    If they're not interested, nothing happens.