Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. OAI

OAI Forum Resident

2 full more minutes, goosebumps :) Many thx.

oneslip17 likes this.
  2. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

It was a crime what they've done, the album version was OK, the vhs no!

JulesRules, Tim 2 and OAI like this.
  3. pinknoisemex

pinknoisemex Forum Resident

It is not the first time David lies, one of the most memorable was when he said that Roger had not taught him the stage of The Wall and that he was taken to the concert without previous rehearsal. This was denied in the Roger Waters BD The Wall where it is seen as uploaded to the platform. It also looks like they are going to have dinner with Nick.
    In recent days he is also very suspicious as Nick Mason (who until now has remained prudent and consistent) has been indifferent to the release of Later Years.
    This romanticism of David and Rick for example where David defends the idea that they were inseparable when he agreed to withdraw Rick from the group as lazy and then Franka had to do convincing work with Ginger to be accepted. as a session musician ... Another great lie is to declare that Echoes is a piece of Rick and David .. when it was a piece for the four where the four exploited their resources together .... I would not believe much in what says David. I hope Nick play echoes ... so that he finally ends up with that stupid idea.

Frans T and Buran1988 like this.
  4. OAI

OAI Forum Resident

Agreed and the exact reason I haven't listened to DSOT on cd or watched the vhs in over 20 years. Much prefer the soundboards like Miami 87 and Melbourne 88 and the countless number of other excellent pieces of footwear from that tour. I just don't get editing Live performances, it's art, leave it alone to stand on it's own.

jonnyslb likes this.
  5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

There is so much conjecture, assumption and hearsay in this post that I don't even know where to start.

Here's a direct link to the image of Polly's post from my DropBox acct. It was never removed.

Dropbox - received_591592784925955.jpeg - Simplify your life

6. chav

chav Active Member

So (about CN of DSOT video), let me get this straight: the youtube clip and the cinema version have a short 2nd solo of CN, with cuts, like the original VHS/laserdisc video. The version of the video we'll get in the box is longer, like the audio CD version. Correct?

7. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH.
    Now the world makes sense again . :D

St. Troy, phil.jp, Frans T and 3 others like this.
  8. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Polly Samson seems to hate Roger Waters more than her husband does....

Frans T, pinknoisemex and tommyball like this.
  9. tommyball

tommyball Forum Resident

Nick's busy with his band and did most of the press stuff for TEY. David is doing the podcast for this release. Maybe they just agreed to switch off.

What is "that stupid idea"? As far as I know, "Echoes" was referred to in light of David's & Rick's connection during DG's 2006 tour when they decided to play it live and in 2016, when after Rick's death, David decided it wasn't right to play anymore without him. I don't think Nick & Roger were omitted from any discussion by David or Rick about "Echoes"; it's just that Nick wasn't on the tour and Roger had been out of the band for decades. David & Rick were just re-exploring a song they co-wrote years and years earlier.

I've been a PF fan since I was 12, right when AMLOR was released. I've enjoyed all of their creative output, as a band in all its incarnations, and as solo artists. Sometimes I don't get what the mid-80s breakup has been turned into by fans and the media — an overly dramatic soap opera. Bands are like families. Families are stressful. Creative collaborations are stressful, and with an inherent intimacy (from the very personal nature of artistic creation) unfound in other work environments. Work is stressful. Creative people often have big, uncompromising egos. Those are some comparisons I have some familiarity with. Add to all that the stress of fame when you put out some platinum records. The band put out a simply awesome body of work. Pick your favorites, but few if any bands can match their output from 1971-79.

David and Roger obviously have different points of view on all that has transpired over the band's history. It's their music. It's their story. The fans don't need to inflate it with assumptions.

10. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

The Knebworth cd had a lot of talking from Gilmour before the song starts, where he was complaining about the rain or something. Maybe that has been edited out. If so, we may have the song in its entirety in the new box.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Based on what? Are you accusing her of lying?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  12. Music Geek

I don't know if she is lying but she could have stopped after the first sentence without adding the additional sniping and it would have been enough to answer the question.

13. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

What additional sniping are you referring to?

St. Troy and Lost In The Flood like this.
  14. OAI

OAI Forum Resident

Oh, excellent point. Just pulled it up on Tidal and no talking before, but the last note hits with about 50 seconds left!

Guess now we have to find out it the thank you very much indeed and comment about the weather etc are included in the running time provided for the big box edition.

15. Music Geek

"other way around"

16. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

There was no animosity in her response. Seems she was simply setting the record straight based on a question she was asked. I dont see that as sniping, that's pretty extreme.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  17. Music Geek

We disagree.

rontoon likes this.
  18. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

:righton:

floydophile likes this.
  19. Tiago Fernandes

Tiago Fernandes Forum Resident

This. :righton:

tommyball likes this.
  20. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

I know this is supposed to highlight the film restoration and new edit (both are great), but what has grabbed me is how distinctive Guy’s bass is in the clip. Good job.

21. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Image quality is excellent an I like the edit. Would have liked to have seen more than a single shot featuring Rick, though.

22. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

I can't see anything wrong with Polly's response. Whether she tells the truth, however, is another matter. Who said what will forever be pure speculation on our part.

23. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

Most important of all! Rachel Fury in HD!! Amazing :D

St. Troy, StormCloud, vikerii and 7 others like this.
  24. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Raving & Drooling

Until this stuff came up in the thread I had skipped the RW Rolling Stone interview (I didn't think there'd be anything new in it tbh) but I just went and read it and ... While I kind of get it, I also kind of wonder why RW wasn't able to advertise his Us+Them stuff on the PF site... both Mason and Gilmour have their solo projects displayed freely on there... I suppose it's possible that the site is managed by Pink Floyd (1987) Ltd and it's problematic or something due any number of reasons, including publishing... in which case, if DG doesn't want it on there he can do what he wants. As for Polly's response, of course she'll side with her husband... not saying her statement isn't true, just don't think it holds too much water due to her connection.

Anyway as always, this internal struggle sucks but by this point we should all be used to it, mostly I really hope this doesn't hinder future core PF material (re the Middle Years, Animals etc) from seeing the light of day, Animals specifically is a long time coming... and Roger has a large lyrical stake in that one. Fakk me.

StormCloud and rontoon like this.
  25. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Well said.