Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. StormCloud

StormCloud They are not artists! (shouts the 'genie')

Billboard Magazine just published a short interview with Bob Ezrin, Andy Jackson and Aubrey Powell about The Later Years!

Here's the link: Bob Ezrin & Other Collaborators Talk 'Pink Floyd The Later Years' Box Set

In one of the final passages they talk about "Animals", so there you go...

One thing fans wonder about, however, is a deluxe package of Animals, which is the one album that's not been treated in that manner yet. Will it happen?

Jackson: There's nothing other than the album to be had out of that. There are no leftovers or anything like that. There were prototype versions (of the songs) but they've already been out. There's no further expansion to be made out of that (album).

Powell: I've asked Nick this question five times in the last year or so. I've certainly been working on a couple of things related to Animals and... let’s see. It's certainly in discussion, and I can't commit to more than that. But fingers crossed that something might appear in the future. We'll see what happens.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  2. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

I’m OK with a straight 5.1 of just the album.

Not every Pink Floyd reissue has to be so crushing on the credit card because of all the extras.

3. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

Surprised there are absolutely no other outtakes from Animals around. How about at least a nice multitrack pro recorded live show from that tour then.

Freddie Barry and hiterss like this.
  4. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

There's also an early work in progress version where Roger delivers all the lead vocals for Dogs and Sheep is quite different as well.

5. StormCloud

Agreed, however, it's very disappointing to ear that from this period there isn't more material available that can enlighten us a notch more about the recording process of this remarkable album, or live recordings that would allow us to surpass the flawed (sound quality) but priceless "Live In Oakland".

6. StormCloud

The Animals Studio Rough Mix Tapes are really interesting. The variations on Gilmour's guitars and Wright's keyboards are exceptional. How about being able to listen to these recordings in a sound quality superior to the current one.

7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

If Pink Floyd fans think there is only one album that has not received a Deluxe package, I am mildly unsure of how they really qualify as Pink Floyd fans lol

I'm very thankful for what we have so far, but I could see, at the very least, 5.1's for
    Piper at the gates of dawn - if there are tapes available.
    Ummagumma
    Atom heart mother, though the quad is nice.
    The Final Cut, to me, essential
    Obscured by clouds and Meddle are still waiting to be released... and it seems unlikely that they will.

I am really looking forward to this Latter Years Box, it is an often overlooked, and excellent collection of work from the guys.
    The 70-83 is my favourite period of the band, but to me the whole catalog is essential, and worthy of some form of special or deluxe edition.

8. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

An SACD with 5.1 is just out of the question, then? What a tellingly evasive answer; in the next line Po just says "I was talking about it with Nick," and we know he's been talking about it with Roger too...

Andy says "they" (the outtakes) have already been out — in fans' hands, as the Extraction Tapes? Or does he mean his own mix of the '74 Empire Pool live versions? This ambivalence/reluctance to properly clean up the best available sources for all that stuff seems like a miscalculation. They are clearly not plugged into really hardcore fanbase demands, or the bootlegs would be plundered more thoroughly than they were for better versions of the awful Continu/ation BBC stuff, which was a generation even behind bootleggers

I dunno, I go back to comparisons with King Crimson's archival approach, and this whole party line of "we won't go below our exceptionally high quality standards" thing is just infuriating. But I guess it just wouldn't be rock-n'-roll without the drama behind the scenes

9. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I've always been under the impression that they didn't make a live multi-track recording in 1975* or 1977. I don't know if that's true or not. Perhaps they recorded soundboard stuff to 2 track for their own records? What was the source for the Raving & Drooling and Gotta Be Crazy from the WYWH Immersion box?

When Led Zeppelin released their concert DVD and KISS started putting out their Kisstory sets, I was bummed that one of the most visual touring acts of that era appeared uninterested in preserving any of it. Though I hope I'm wrong.

* I find out below that they did have pro recordings made in 1974 by the BBC, though I don't know any technical specs about it.

St. Troy and mark winstanley like this.
  10. StormCloud

Wembley November 1974

Pinknik likes this.
  11. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Thanks. Which Wikipedia says was recorded by the BBC. Does anyone have any technical info on how they recorded it? Just curious.

St. Troy, hiterss and StormCloud like this.
  12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Alan Parsons (SORRY: NOT HIM, it was Brian Humphries) engineered the show and then it was mixed down for a single broadcast, I think... but Jackson found the original multis from both nights, and did his remix with Damon Iddins of both nights' sets for the Why Pink Floyd? reissues, and then the encore "Echoes" found its way onto Continu/ation in the big Early Years set

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    St. Troy, BeatleJWOL, zinan and 3 others like this.
  13. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I knew someone here would know. Thanks. Any idea if there was a pro recording done of the Animals tour?

14. StormCloud

Sorry for being off topic...

Taken from Wikipedia:

Live at the Empire Pool is a live album by the progressive rock band, Pink Floyd, recorded by BBC Radio 1. The album has not been released as a standalone album but has been released in parts as part of other Pink Floyd releases; namely the Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here immersion box sets (2011) and The Early Years 1965-1972 box set (2016). The album was recorded during the British Winter Tour, 1974 at the Empire Pool, Wembley, England. The shows are notable for showcasing an early version of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" as well as very early versions of "Sheep" and "Dogs" under different titles – "Raving and Drooling" and "You've Got to Be Crazy", respectively. The tour also featured the whole of The Dark Side of the Moon album played as well as one of the final performances of "Echoes"; this performance is notable for featuring saxophone performed by Dick Parry.

The show was recorded by the BBC and broadcast on BBC Radio 1, minus "Echoes", on 11 January 1975 as part of Alan Freeman's programme.

Hattipper, octopus92 and Pinknik like this.
  15. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

No multi-tracks. There is some confusion about cassette tapes in the band's archives, but it has been alleged here they are only open-air (ie. not soundboard) recordings at all... seems an unusually poor decision, unless they were specifically trying to capture how bad the general P.A. acoustics and crowd noise was at those open-air shows

hiterss, StormCloud and Pinknik like this.
  16. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Raving & Drooling

So basically the whole album, because I'm pretty sure I've heard a version of Pigs as well, with different/less DG soloing and slightly different vocal delivery here and there... definitely an almost final WIP quick mix of some kind.

St. Troy and Hattipper like this.
  17. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

My Amazon UK order still shows as arriving on Friday.

18. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Not a flippant answer but i think that was exactly what they were doing. Making open air recordings to hear what could be improved from gig to gig.

BeatleJWOL and aphexj like this.
  19. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

Some live stuff from the Animals tour would be brilliant. Obviously every gig was recorded at the sound desk(or whatever its called now)
    PF were on fire on this tour. DG was rampant. Ive got some boots that are cd quality and the gigs are out of this world. Its a real pity that PF(minus the misery)wouldnt play anything from Animals. I imagine that waters made their life such a misery that they would rather forget the album. Of course, this doesn't preclude them still reaping in the royalties. Its amazing how money tempers the pain !!!

20. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

That’s my shipping notification from Burning Shed sent today. It’s on the way.

chav and coffeetime like this.
  21. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Animals Demos have been around for ages

So I don't believe that interview at all

St. Troy, rontoon, Frans T and 2 others like this.
  22. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

Can you please take the off-topic discussions to the appropriate thread.

There are threads open for both 'Middle Years' and 'Animals' speculation and discussion.

rontoon, realmdemagic, zinan and 2 others like this.
  23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

This. I find it odd that Jackson says "There were prototype versions of the songs but they've already been out.". Theoretically they are... but not officially.

St. Troy, JulesRules and StormCloud like this.
  24. jonnyslb

jonnyslb Forum Resident

Is there anybody else, who received the box already, and want to share something with the rest of us?

Lost In The Flood and BeatleJWOL like this.
  25. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

He's probably talking about the live versions from Wembley 74.

ARK, realmdemagic, phil.jp and 2 others like this.