Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Paul over at superdeluxeedition.com teased an imminent unboxing video on Twitter last night. I’m keeping an eye out for when he posts.

vikerii, rontoon, StormCloud and 3 others like this.
  2. OAI

OAI Forum Resident

Way off topic here but I think there is a Karl Dallas piece out there where he is at a stadium or arena pre show for the Animals tour and he says that were playing the night before's performance over the PA for that reason, to improve on it. Roger is of course infamous for shouting out the shows # during Pigs 3DO as a way to identify the tapes later. I have to believe all of these recording would be superior to any of the boots we now possess, especially if worked on by professionals with the equipment and other means at their disposal. Problem is, the finished product likely isn't up to their (or maybe anyone else's) standards so that is likely where we are at today- a bunch of recordings sitting in a vault that people like me would kill for, but the band doesn't believe are up to the level they want for public consumption.

3. Buran1988

Buran1988 Forum Resident

Nice to read that schedule conflicts prevented Nick and Rick from playing on the album. Not many people know that they were much in demand studio aces at the time...

4. Muppet

Muppet Brain the size of a Planet.

Can we please just for once keep a topic to the actual topic and stop veering off about Animals, middle year’s etc and Roger v David ******** again and again. I don’t care about that. I read this topic for what it’s supposed to be, The later years. Thanks

5. OAI

OAI Forum Resident

Too bring this Animals discussion into relevance, wasn't there an article that stated that Sheep was rehearsed or at least strongly considered for the AMLOR tour (or was it the DB)? Always thought that was strange to pick over Dogs, which for me holds my very favourite DG moments. If it was indeed rehearsed, count it as another missed opportunity to put something special that none of us have heard in this Box (provided they recorded the rehearsal).

St. Troy and StormCloud like this.
  6. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

They're not offering very much, for what they are charging. The DVDs are totally redundant. I'm definitely passing of this set, although I may pick up the sampler on vinyl.

Frans T, Jack and aphexj like this.
  7. Buran1988

Buran1988 Forum Resident

I think it was Schaffner's book (actually I am not sure about his name...). It was a rumour or just a title on an early planning setlist. Recordings never surfaced=it was never rehearsed. They didn't trust each other at first, since they had not played together for such a long time. I don't think David liked the idea of giving Rick too much solo space.

8. SilverCheek

SilverCheek Forum Resident

Perhaps we should all report every OT-post? (including this one?)

St. Troy and BeatleJWOL like this.
  9. StormCloud

StormCloud They are not artists! (shouts the 'genie')

I think obviously Erzin is being kind and considerate to them, because it's well documented that Mason wasn't really able to play drums in 1986, and that Wright was in Greece enjoying an eternal summer, if not for Franka (RW's wife at the time), who talked to Ginger Gilmour about the possibility of her husband joining somehow Pink Floyd (1987). From this conversation, David Gilmour realized two things: the convenience of having him on his side to have a stronger case to win the prevailing lawsuit with Waters, and additionally, the opportunity to validate a bit more in front of fans the very existence of AMLoR (and for this reasons Wright was finally invited to do a few brushes with his Hammond Organ to some of the songs that were practically finished.)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  10. RE: "Sheep" being considered and/or rehearsed for the AMLOR tour...

I can confirm that "Sheep" was never rehearsed, via an AMA thread that Guy Pratt did a couple months ago (and I asked Guy personally)...

Guy Pratt here.. Ask me anything, but nothing that requires a really long answer please! Will be replying form 7pm UK time.. : Bass

Rooster_Ties 7 points 2 months ago*

Is it true that the '87 Floyd band considered playing "Sheep"? (or maybe it was "Dogs"?) on that first AMLOR tour? Long rumored that "Sheep" was considered, but did you guys actually get to the point of rehearsing it any?

• guypratt 16 points 2 months ago
    • No. I've never played anything from Animals with anyone from PF.

11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

What's the source of this info?

12. StormCloud

I read it some time ago in a recollection -very detailed by the way- that someone made about Richard Wright's lost years during the eighties. I'm going to look for the source, to share the link with everyone, because it's certainly one interesting reading.

BeatleJWOL and Raziel666 like this.
  13. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

Pretty sure that info was from that Daily Mail article from a few years ago.

There was also mention of that meeting in Mark Blake's book, I think.

14. StormCloud

Not as far as I can remember. Because I don't usually read tabloids. I'm going to try to do my best to find the source. :righton:

BeatleJWOL, oneslip17 and Raziel666 like this.
  15. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

I'd just like to see a high res stereo version of each floyd album, right now we only have about half of them, I've had to rely on good vinyl rips for the rest

16. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

The irony is the The Early years set included a lot of BBC material where we already had much better versions in circulation for years.

17. Buran1988

Buran1988 Forum Resident

Could it be that long post on Neptune forum? By someone who tried hard to find out what Rick did during his greek years. Peter Harold was his (nick)name. Nice research, well done, but to my amusement I discovered that he quoted the same book that I quoted in my essay on an Italian writer who used to go to Lindos! The title was Dancing on tables or something like that and recounts a bad confrontation with greek police. It also sheds light on an instrumental from Wet Dream, Mad Yannis dance. Yannis was the cop.

The book: This Way to Paradise--Dancing on the Tables da Willard Manus: Lycabettus Press 9789607269478 Paperback, Second. - Ergodebooks

Neptune forum: Rick trashed in Sunday Newspaper - Page 2 - Pink Floyd Forum

18. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

My thoughts as well. If you have Blu-Ray you don’t need the DVD. And if you have DVD you don’t need Blu. Also if you have any interest in this box you most likely own TDB AMLOR and TER. Would like to buy the remix MLOR as standalone.

Max Florian and aphexj like this.
  19. OAI

OAI Forum Resident

Thank you, I guess that's the final nail to that coffin though I remember him being a little confused about Echoes being performed, or at least the number of times it was performed, but that does indeed look definitive.

NunoBento and Rooster_Ties like this.
  20. Muppet

Muppet Brain the size of a Planet.

Yes let’s

rontoon likes this.
  21. Starship73

Starship73 Forum Resident

Regarding Nick Mason not doing any PR for TLY box, maybe he's deliberately keeping a low profile at the moment:

"The last confirmed sighting of Ms Maxwell was in June, when she set off from London on a rally to Geneva, sharing a car with Nettie Mason, wife of the Pink Floyd star Nick Mason."

Ghislaine Maxwell plans to defend Prince Andrew in TV interview

22. StormCloud

Yes! God job. That’s it! I read it on the Neptune forum many years ago.

Buran1988 likes this.
  23. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Thanks for posting. Call me cynical, but I have a hard time putting all of my good faith in a Daily Mail article (known for their wrongly done ex-wife of famous person stories) and Franka claiming that she saved Pink Floyd. And I've never heard or read Gilmour mention a call from her. Not that it didn't happen, I'm just very skeptical.

coffeetime and Lost In The Flood like this.
  24. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

It's standard for bands - even then, to pop a standard blank cassette - a C90 or 2, for example - to record the show to listen back to for reference later. The reason PF wouldn't say that soundboard tapes exist is because there's zero chance they'd be multitrack recordings that could be remixed - it would have to a raw, on-the-fly recording with no opportunity to do any work on bar some basic remastering. Even if the tapes still exist and are salvagable, they'd likely be far below the quality that Floyd regard as releasable.

Also worth remembering in those days, a live-album-with-every-tour was unheard of.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  25. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

I disagree with anyone who says that the tapes aren't good enough for a Floyd release. This is a band that released an audience recording with virtually no audible vocals in their Early Years box set. If they can release that recording, they can release a sub par soundboard recording from the '77 tour.

Now back to our scheduled programming, 'The Later Years'....