Help me! Pull out your Van Morrison MOONDANCE LP, give a listen to "Into The Mystic"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 15, 2007.

1. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

WLPs are sometimes pressed much later than the fist pressings. I have a Randy Newman first s/t WLP and its not a W7. Obviously they pressed those WLPs years after the first pressing.

2. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Yup, and my green label (non W7 RE1-1B) actually sounds a bit better than my WLP (non W7 RE1-1A). Go figure...

Sounds like the very first W7 and the later reissues do not use the RE1 and have no tamborine.. interesting.

3. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

On the early US pressings...I don't believe the label style (W7 vs Green WB) will tell which mix was used. I also don't think the side # (S39621RE1) is the determining factor. It appears that:

-1A...has tambourine (previously reported in this thread)
    -1B...has tambourine (previously reported in this thread)
    -1C...has tambourine (previously reported in this thread)
    -1D...no tambourine (previously reported in this thread)
    -1E...no tambourine (like my green WB)

4. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

So..

Do the -1D and -1E stampers have an RE1 anywhere in the dead wax? We know that one early W7 (without tamborine) does not.

5. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

Green WB label...dead wax...39621 WS 1835 A 1E RE-1
    (S39621RE1) on label under WS 1835 ...No Tambourine

6. I will happily post an excerpt from my W7 - however, excuse my ignorance, but I need someone to tell me the best way to do this (never have done it before).

Thanks!

7. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Yup, I noticed before there are some with RE1 in the deadwax and without the tambourine.

8. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Slightly off topic, but interesting, mine is not W7 but the matrix is: 39621 WS18535 RE1-1A. I wonder if some matrices were reused.

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

This is so confusing it's making my head hurt.

10. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

You may need to post the bunny. :sigh:

11. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

It is. :D

12. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Bet you are sorry you asked!

JG

13. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

14. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Well Steve, we know that the -1 A (thru) C has the tambourine, and -1D & -1E don't. My mid to late '70s W/B logo pressings don't either.

FWIW.... I suspect my green label is a pressing from about 1972 or '73. ergo...the tambourine appears to have been dropped on pressings by then.

I have a -1D (both green and burbank labels) - and it has the RE 1.

(Curiously, side 2 uses a -1A stamper and does not have RE 1).

15. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

Expect to pay around $60-$80 for a good copy on eBay if the bidding gets hot.

16. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

My W7 copy has the same label and stamper (with tambourine)

My early press Australian copy with "A1A" has no tambourine.

17. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Just finished listening to my German re-issue LP.

No tambourine in that version.

18. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Nobody has said which mix they prefer.

My vote is for the tambourine :)

Possibly just because I'm used to it.

Tim

19. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member

That's not cheap! Maybe I'll be lucky to find it in a used LP store.

20. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

You should be able to find a green label version with early stampers for around $10 or less, though.

21. Dave D

Dave D Done!

22. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

All I know is that Van Morrison is credited on the back cover with Rhythm Guitar and Tambourine, and therefore, I would want the version with the tambourine in the song. I would think that version is the version intended by Van Morrison, without knowing anything more about that session and the decision making process in the mix.

Also, while there are "W7" label pressings for titles released around this time (for example, James Taylor, Sweet Baby James), I think this was around the time when Seven Arts was being squeezed out. Does anyone know exactly when Seven Arts was officially squeezed out and exactly when Moondance was first commercially released?

If it turns out that Moondance was released AFTER Seven Arts was squeezed out, then it is quite possible that the "W7" label pressings are not necessarily the earlier pressing/run than the "WB" white label promo. Instead, they may have been just using up leftover labels to cut costs.

I think one should look at the thickness of the vinyl to determine the vintage in cases like this one. My "WB" white label promo copy was pressed on a thick vinyl similar to the gold label and some "W7" label records from the 60's (for example, Grateful Dead's S/T LP). Because of the thickness of the vinyl, I am convinced that my "WB" white label promo copy was NOT pressed later but rather very very early.

23. pcain

pcain Forum Resident

Kinda hard to imagine the song with a foghorn and tambourine -- I've been listening to the CD for almost 20 years. At this point, perhaps the foghorn/tambourine mix should be considered the alternate version.

24. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Just to confirm, true first U.S. pressings of this record should be on a green/olive W7 label correct? A few Canadian forum members referred to Gold label first pressings in their posts. Did the Canadian first pressing of this record (Moondance) come out on the Gold label (like the older Dead albums did in the U.S.)?

25. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

I can't resist:

FOGHORN! WE NEED MORE FOGHORN! :laugh: