Once Upon a Time in Hollywood SPOILERS! SPOILER THREAD...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Jul 30, 2019.

1. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Just sat through it on my home projector. I nearly went to see it in the theater. Glad I didn't. It looked cool. That's all I have good to say about it. It's a shame if it takes multiple viewings to "get it" because I won't be sitting through it again. After 40 minutes, I'm thinking "Is this going anywhere?". 2 hours later... "Nope".

2. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

4k has shipped from Amazon. :)

3. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

Just saw the vinyl at my local shop.
    57 bucks for a 2 color vinyl and some posters.
    Yikes

Ghostworld likes this.
  4. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

And very likely using a digital source.

2trackmind and Yayastone like this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Sorry this got cut!

love cliffs response. I believe the scene is real because that’s exactly what cliff would say!

“The best part of the deleted scene is when Manson goes to get back into his (Twinkie) truck to leave, but before doing so, looks up and sees Cliff Booth (Brad Pitt) working on the roof of Rick Dalton's (Leonardo DiCaprio) home, trying to fix his TV antenna.

Manson waves at Booth (which is a moment featured in the trailer) and proceeds into a highly animated, gibberish rant before yelling, "**** you, Jack!" The actual Manson was known to act erratically and he often went on tangents when he was being interviewed by the press.

Cliff, completely unfazed, says, "What the **** was that about?"

GreggF likes this.
  6. I saw it four times in the theater and I still think its the best film of the year.

willy, Edgard Varese, Macman and 10 others like this.
  7. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Agree. This movie was an oasis in a dry, dry desert.

Ghostworld, Jrr and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

Is the deluxe edition with 45 available at Target stores?

Ghostworld likes this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Best viewed as a period snapshot.

10. alexpop

I’ll just get the dvd (assuming the BD isn’t a longer cut..,or more tasty art design).

11. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I guess I need more than that from a 2.5 hour Tarantino film. That period is one that is not lacking in snapshots. Giving this snapshot a good script would've been nice. The setting and the actors were all there. All they needed was a script. The Hateful Eight is the only Tarantino movie I haven't seen yet but so far, Hollywood ranks dead last for me. I found it to be hollow. But to each his own. Everyone sees art their own way.

12. alexpop

Considering once is a fairytale of sorts I found it amusing. QT most lighthearted film ever.
    The Hateful Eight I preferred. It’s the complete opposite of Hollywood. But I think you’d like H8 even less.

rnranimal likes this.
  13. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

I went on a search to buy the deluxe version yesterday:

BestBuy - No instore Deluxe, but a BB "exclusive Steelbox" 4k version for $32.
    Target - No instore Deluxe, but a Bluray with a Target "exclusive" version with a small book.
    Barnes & Noble - No instore Deluxe and no exclusives that I saw.

Personally I've cooled on the deluxe (just stuff I'll look at once and put away) and am going back to BB and get the 4K non "Steelbox" on sale for $27.

I completely agree with the above posters that this was the best film of the year. Refreshing is the term that comes to mind; pure entertainment.

Jrr, keef00, Ghostworld and 4 others like this.
  14. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Just rented this on AppleTV. Loved it. Probably will watch it again in the next 36 hours I have it for.

Dale A B, Ghostworld and Carl80 like this.
  15. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

It's a totally immersive world that I am sad to leave every time.

Dan C, Jrr, Claxton and 3 others like this.
  16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

2.5 hours in theaters and 30 minutes bonus deleted scenes for home video. Is that all footage used in the 3(Cannes/regular/10 mins extended?) variations shown theatrically?

In August the idea was floated for a 4 hour "mini-series" version for Netflix. QT did shoot enough content.

I'll probably do the Blu-ray this month and be done with it.

Ghostworld likes this.
  17. alexpop

Best film of the year ?

No either The Irishman( some CGI) .
    ,or The Avengers:Endgame ( Lotta CGI).

18. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I know what you mean but over the years QT has said a lot of things that he didn't follow-up on (not complaining just explaining).
    But I sure do want to see that 40 minutes when Rick and Cliff are in Italy, that is if such a section of the movie actually exists.

CusBlues, Mainline461 and twicks like this.
  19. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

I received my Blu Ray from Amazon yesterday and watched it last night. Fantastic! Picture quality is outstanding. Pure pleasure.

I wish there were more Special Features, but I enjoyed what is there. I think the unused scene with Manson waving to Cliff and ranting should have been included in the final cut.

I had seen it twice in theaters but picked up on a few more details last night. One thing that struck me was the many little hinted comparisons of the good guys and bad guys in the Western scenes, and the climax of the film.

When I posted here much earlier after seeing the film on the big screen, I mentioned that it seemed to look dark overall, especially at my first viewing in Burbank. Watching it in my own A-V system, I felt that it looked and sounded perfect. My wife couldn't get over how much clearer it looked at our house compared to the theater. (Now I'll have even less motivation to buy movie tickets.)

Great movie! I'm sure I'll watch it many more times.

20. Hmmm I could sit through Hollywood several more times after the four I ve seen. I couldn’t sit through Irishman again for awhile although I sort of liked it.

I lined the lad test avengers though. Better than Irishman. Especially the two parts together.

Mainline461 and twicks like this.
  21. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Endgame was the lesser of the two parts, but it stuck the landing well enough.

Ghostworld and Mazzy like this.
  22. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

It's quite possible. Is it 3 hours long and lacking story? :)

I've put off H8 because I felt like I wasn't going to like it. I thought I would like Hollywood, though. I don't hate it but it's not something I'll have any desire to watch again.

The unusually lighthearted nature was definitely something that stood out to me partway into it. I didn't have a problem with that but I was conscious of it. So much that it was a little shocking when Pitt pounded the hell out of the Manson hippy.

alexpop likes this.
  23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I searched a found nothing, but I only recently found out that QT was partly inspired for OUATIH by watching Kurt Russell and his long time stuntman Dick Warlock's friendship on the Death Proof film set in 2006. Here' they are in the 90's.

[​IMG]

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I could see an Endgame upset.

25. alexpop

Yeah ..a climax movie. My favourite bit.
    H8 has even more tomato sauce. But a juicer script.