Oldies dot com having a year end blow out, but.....

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by keithdylan, Dec 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain Thread Starter

Oldies is having a year end blow out, and there are some interesting items in the vinyl section dirt cheap. HOWEVER. each record comes with a dollar per piece of vinyl, that's for Ba Ba Booey, shipping charge. Now I don't know what you envision when the banner says "free shipping on most orders over $50", means to you, but it doesn't mean "$16 in shipping on a bunch of records" to me. I understand if you are buying something bulky, or heavy having a surcharge, but you sell records, and you are selling them cheap, you have to expect people to stock up and have to send orders of 10-15 albums. Work surcharges into the price and make people feel they are getting a break at the $50 level. Still there are some fun items dirt cheap, but I deleted my entire substantial cart on principle. I have purchased from them during a blow out sale before, and had a pretty heavy order weight-wise, and received free shipping in the past. So I know it can be done.

black sheriff likes this.
  2. drpep

drpep Whizzing and pasting and pooting through the day

Pieces of vinyl boff!

Comet01, dusttones and Gene Parmesan like this.
  3. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

Looks like they have a CD sale going on now, but I was just wondering if anyone who has purchased from them recently can confirm if they are now shipping CD-Rs or standard CDs.

4. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I would not by any LP's from this store that have a WZ product code which indicates it is still sealed! They are ALL warped badly!! The 45's I received were fine. Their return policy states you have to return them in their ordered state. Hard to see a warp without opening the record. I sent them an email so we shall see.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Davidmk5 likes this.
  5. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I ordered a ton of old stock lps that were sealed last year EVERY SINGLE ONE was warped so bad you could not play the 1st 2 songs on each lp , i was bummed but it was every one , ended up with a refund .

Juggsnelson likes this.
  6. Juggsnelson

Yeah it sucks because they have some good stuff. They responded to my email by telling me to call them. Hopefully they refund me me for the warped records. The CD's, 45's, books and DVD's I got were fine.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  7. Juggsnelson

I just wanted to report that customer service were a pleasure to deal with. They refunded me through PayPal for the warped records without an issue. Plenty of good deals to be had but just be careful ordering LP's that are still sealed....which is true no matter where you get them.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  8. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Alpha (associated label) switched to dvd-r a couple years back. No idea re: cd vs cdr.

melstapler and Juggsnelson like this.
  9. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Thanks for the heads-up! It's good to know they're shipping DVD-R discs instead of real pressed DVDs.

AdamChanSiuLung likes this.
  10. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I guess I've just been lucky — I've ordered at least a half dozen "WZ" LPs from Oldies.com and none of them have been warped. Most of them have been cutouts and the jackets have ranged from near mint to pretty wrecked, but the vinyl has always been in new condition.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  11. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

When the picture/image quality sucks (as it usually does with Alpha), does it really matter which kind of DVD you get? You have to be a real fan of obscure old movies/actors/actresses to sit through one of their DVDs.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  12. AdamChanSiuLung

AdamChanSiuLung Forum Resident

For me it matters. My problem with CD-Rs and DVD-Rs is that they scratch too easily and are basically not as durable. I generally steer clear of them unless there is absolutely no other way of obtaining the music or programs featured on them.

13. moomoomoomoo

I always make at least 1 back up of anything important that's either burned or is a file.

14. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

15. Cymb79

Cymb79 Forum Resident

There seems to be a blind faith MFSL CD for $11.98! I'm not sure if they just put the wrong picture or not though.

black sheriff likes this.
  16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Probably. Check the UPC and see what it corresponds to.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  17. Cymb79

Cymb79 Forum Resident

Yep, the wrong picture

18. atlantasteven

atlantasteven Mercy Mercy Me

I placed an order for several discs described as 5.1. Let's see what I actually get.

[​IMG]
    Ohio Players
    Fire (CD)
    sku: 32FE2 - Island / Mercury
    Qty: 1 $6.00

[​IMG]
    Ohio Players
    Honey (CD)
    sku: ZUCL 0489 - Island / Mercury
    Qty: 1 $8.49
    Saved: $4.49

[​IMG]
    David Gilmour
    Rattle That Lock [Deluxe Edition] (CD + DVD)
    sku: 68YKS - Sony
    Qty: 1 $11.10
    Saved: $23.88

[​IMG]
    Various Artists
    Inside The Music: Surf's Up (DVD-A) (CD)
    sku: XNJ 80369D - Silverline
    Qty: 1 $5.98
    Saved: $12.00

[​IMG]
    The Moody Blues
    Seventh Sojourn (CD)
    sku: ZENG 06628 - Universal Int'l
    Qty: 1 $9.98
    Saved: $6.00

19. melstapler

Has anyone else ordered CD titles released by the Oldies label and received a duplicated CD-R with pro artwork in place of what used to be a real replicated silver pressed CD?

20. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

I asked a similar question further up the page / in December - I was specifically wondering if the Johnny Adams and Peggy Scott/Jo Jo Benson discs are now being shipped as CD-Rs, since Alpha seems to have switched to DVD-R.

melstapler likes this.
  21. moomoomoomoo

Alpha went to dvdr 2-3 years ago. Bad choice, as their picture quality has always been dreadful. Then again, Oldies/Alpha are still in business.............

Planbee likes this.
  22. melstapler

I think it depends on the particular title. I purchased an extra copy of the Dottie West 1CD twofer (released on Oldies) directly from their website and they sent me a real silver replicated CD with artwork and everything identical to the original pressing from about 15 years ago. However, a friend of mine who also collects the Oldies label reissues has some of the more recent pressings of previously released titles where the tray art has been slightly altered and he insists they're CD-R. I'd be curious to know if these CD-Rs were MOD titles sold directly through Amazon or if Oldies is burning those.

23. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Gene Parmesan likes this.
  24. moomoomoomoo

I'm 99% sure that oldies is burning them, & that titles switch over to mod's when the old pressed stock sells out.

melstapler likes this.
  25. melstapler

Even though it's annoying, that seems like something they'd do. To tell them apart, the only pattern I've noticed is the CD-R versions typically have the inner tray art as blank white and the original pressings have the full artwork behind the transparent plastic tray.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.