Films that never materialized?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Nov 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I was just thinking today about the film that was finally made of Johnny Got His Gun and how lackluster it was. Had it been made in 1941 as originally planned, I wonder if it would have retained the fiery spirit of the book, which I read in college and still found to be incredible.

2. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Just looked it up and it's called Daddy and Them. It got limited release in 2001 because Miramax didn't find it commercial enough. Crazy that a movie with that pedigree could just get ditched.

guy incognito and misterdecibel like this.
  3. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

The Expendables 4, and the all-female Expendabelles.

guy incognito and alexpop like this.
  4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I really would have liked Tripoli to happen.

Seems like I've been hearing on and off for years that somebody is doing Arthur C. Clarke's Rendezvous With Rama, but then it never materializes.

Maggie likes this.
  5. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Around this same time period ('88, maybe '89), I recall reading in a magazine that they were planning a bio-pic of Eddie Cochran, to star Keifer Sutherland in the role of Eddie... Never heard anything more about that one either...

6. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Does anyone else remember the late '70s rumor that John Lennon was going to appear in a film called Street Messiah?

7. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

That Lew Archer adaptation that was going to star Hugh Lawrie or Liam Neeson as Philip Marlowe.

8. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

It's too bad Mitchum didn't play Marlowe when he was younger (although he is essentially playing the character in Out Of The Past)

For noir fans: the '75 Farewell My Lovely features an appearance by novelist Jim Thompson (The Getaway).

9. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Part 2 of the 1978 animated Lord Of The Rings. Part 1 covered a book and a half and I waited years to see Part 2 that never materialized. It became moot I guess with the 2001-2003 trilogy.

[​IMG]

10. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

In the end credits (at least in the original cut) of Neil Young's "Human Highway" it says "watch for Human Highway II."

11. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

More recently, there were plans in the works for a Yellow Submarine remake. Yellow Submarine (2010 Animation Test and 2012 Canceled Animated Film)

Vidiot likes this.
  12. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

“Doc Savage: Archenemy of Evil” was blurbed as forthcoming at the end of 1975’s “Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze,” but it never happened. Reportedly, the sequel was filmed (but never completed) simultaneously with the first movie, which did poorly at the box office.

13. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'm still waiting for "Bubba Nosferatu - Curse of the She-Vampires"

Lownote30 and unclefred like this.
  14. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

There was a sequel planned to All The Marbles, called The California Dolls go to Japan, but the film (very funny by the way) didn't do that well so it never happened.

Around 10 years ago, there was word of a film version of the TV show, T.H.E. Cat, which I believe was set to star Benicio Del Toro

Along the same lines, a feature version of Honey West with Reece Witherspoon

The Fan Club was supposed to be made into a film but purportedly, they couldn't find a mainstream actress who was willing to sign on due to the heavy amount of nudity which would be involved.

15. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Fred Zinnemann's take on the Custer battle, The Day Custer Fell. If memory serves, Toshiro Mifune was going to play Crazy Horse or Sitting Bull.

guy incognito likes this.
  16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Apparently in 1966 there were plans of a third Beatles movie.

17. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

The rumored fourth Austin Powers movie.

Verne Troyer's death pretty much put the kibosh on this one.

mike s in nyc and David Campbell like this.
  18. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Oh yeah, I remember that. Gary Dourdan (Warrick Brown) as Phil Lynott could have a breakout role for him. Sadly, you just don't hear from him anymore...

Also recall a Keith Moon film starring Mike Myers in the titular role. Like Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey, Myers is also capable of handling dramatic roles. He might have been too old though.

Also...

All the failed Dune projects including Peter Berg once having been attached to direct. Jodorowsky's Dune as well as not to mention Ridley Scott's 2-movie idea.

Neil Blomkamp's Alien 5 project which got shelved in favour of Alien Covenant.

Peter Jackson's produced Halo video game adaptation.

19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

That was was the one I was going to mention. Computer graphics make it possible now.

20. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

the one with Jason Robards and Donald Sutherland as Christ? I thought it was quite good, but I haven't read the book

unclefred likes this.
  21. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Reese was also rumored to be in a remake of my favorite Otto Preminger film, Bunny Lake Is Missing

guy incognito likes this.
  22. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Hogan's Heroes, starring Bruce Willis or Mel Gibson

Alias Smith & Jones, to have starred Nicolas Cage (said to be a huge fan of the show)

A Have Gun Will Travel movie has been rumored since the 1980s

guy incognito and Grand_Ennui like this.
  23. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I can see him as Harry Briscoe...

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Wasn’t in the first one.

fr in sc and Lownote30 like this.
  25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Manolito /High Chaparral

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.