Rega Planar 8 owners

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by liptrot, Sep 23, 2019.

1. liptrot

liptrot Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looking to upgrade my Rega p3-24 w dynavector 10x5. I've read all of the positive reviews of the Planar 8 but there seems to be little discussion of the turntable on this board and others. Looking for some insight from current owners. Thinking of pairing it with a Dynavector 20x2L or Hana ML to warm up the sound a bit. Other tables I considered are the EAT C Sharp with Jo No5, Feickert Volare, and acoustic signature wow xl. Tough to audition those locally. Phono preamp is Lehmann Black Cube Se II. Not considering VPI as I prefer a more plug and play setup. Cheers

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The Dynavector / Rega / Lehmann combo is exceptional. I sell all of these components and have heard them together. You'll be thrilled for years.
    -Bill

3. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Have you tried searching Rega Planar 8 in this forum , there are a number of extensive threads on it.

For me I'm totally happy with the stock Apheta 2 my table came with and it matches up really well with my Rega Aria also they've recently upgraded the Apheta to 3 which has an updated stylus geometry and they'll probably start shipping them in the not too distant future.

4. I’m salivating for the new Rega P10 :tiphat:

I have an RP8 now. Great table.

5. cut-out

cut-out Forum Resident

I love my P8. Hard to say if I love the Apheta 2 that it came with—not sure it's the best combo w/ my Musical Surroundings Nova II. When I was shopping for a new table one of the recommendations was for that Dynavector over the Apheta 2, but I got a better package deal w/ the Apheta 2 and went with it.

Would you recommend the Lehmann over the Rega Aria when paired with the Apheta 2?

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

No. Both are excellent phono stages. The Rega is perhaps a bit warmer on top and has a more full bass sound, making it a nice pairing with the Rega cart, which is very dynamic but perhaps more neutral than some folks who enjoy a warmer than neutral sound may prefer. The DV has a warmer, darker voice and so the Lehmann can be adjusted to suit and provide a closer to neutral tone. Either system is exceptional. Basically, when that's all you've got to complain about, you're in a very good place.
    :cheers:
    -Bill

Echoes Myron and cut-out like this.
  7. liptrot

Would love to wait for the Apheta 3 but my current cart is at the end of its life span and I've got a serious case of upgradeitis. I think I'll follow Bill's advice on the Dynavector 20x2L. Should give me a bit of the warmth I want. Thanks for the input

8. liptrot

who knows. If i love the setup, which I'm sure I will, I may have to get another 20x2 and move the p3-24 to the bedroom :)

9. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

I can see the P10 landing on your credenza, before the year is out, Mazzy!

Dennis Metz likes this.
  10. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

It might be worth waiting until the new P10 comes out shortly, when you are bound to get some deals on the RP10, and seeing which you prefer. The Planar 8 seems to be about twice the price of a close out RP8. It’s better according to the reviews, but twice as good ? Design also comes into it as you lose the outer shell option with the new ones. That may not fuss you, but I prefer the larger footprint.

Mazzy likes this.
  11. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I'm considering going all in for a Rega matched system, P8+Apheta2+Aria.

My only concern that I've heard voiced elsewhere is that the Apheta2 combo with the Aria might be too toppy. I've heard some suggestions to go with the Ania cart instead for better tonal balance.

Any thoughts on this?

12. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I think there is a mistaken assumption that either of these two components are bright which for me is not the case. I find the combination warm yet detailed and very "musical" not to mention they have that Rega synergy that you commonly see written about in these forums. Currently I'm on my second Apheta 2 since purchasing my Planar 8 and Aria v.2 and couldn't be happier.

Porkpie, Dave Calarco and Lemon Curry like this.
  13. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

If you are getting a deck with the quality of the P8 it seems a bit strange not to be pairing it with the Apheta 2 or 3, which it’s designed for, particularly at the package price. Nothing against the Ania, but it’s matched more for the P6, I think.

Dennis Metz and Morbius like this.
  14. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

This was my concern when purchasing this exact setup around 6 months ago. I had read in a few places online that the Apheta 2 was a tad clinical and the Ania was a bit warmer in the traditional vinyl sense. Having lived with the combo for 6 months, there is nothing to fear at all IMO. The sound is everything I hoped for and more - warm, detailed and very fast with a huge sound stage. Obviously you may wish to demo it as everyone's tastes differ but I could not be happier with my setup.

Lemon Curry likes this.
  15. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Alpheta 2 / Aria combo is magic. Slightly warm and super detailed.

If I were in the market for a Rega upgrade today, I would be looking for closeout deals on the RP10.

16. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Thanks for the multiple responses. Nothing like hearing it from actual owners/ users. I'm going to stay on target then :)
    The only decision left is whether I should go p10, as the shop I'd buy from wants to sell me their p10 demo unit at discount...

17. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

@Lemon Curry - the P10 at a discount should be a no brainer....

18. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

As a P8 owner, I am curious about the P10 myself. If the P8 and P10 were both fitted with the new Apheta 3 cartridge, I wonder just how much difference there would be sound wise between the two?

Nero likes this.
  19. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The Planar 10 is amazingly good. The arm on that is at another level from anything else in the line. Why aren't you in the car headed back there already?!
    -Bill

Dmann201 and displayname like this.
  20. Echoes Myron

The RP10 with Alpheta 2 is mindbendingly good. I can only imagine how good the new P10 must be.

21. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I just finished setting up my Rega Planar 8 with the Apheta 2 cartridge. This was the easiest TT setup ever. I have it on a Symposium Segue platform and a set of three Stillpoints Ultra Minis that was gathering dust. The unit sounds very promising right out of the box and should be great after some run-in time.

22. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

That's just plain wrong, I have exactly that combo (add a R before P8) and it is exceptionally balanced and not bright at all, I could cry hearing my best pressings when I hear those voices !

John Murray and Lemon Curry like this.
  23. Nero

Nero Rega - Oppo - Luxman - Sonus Faber.

I bought a P8 Apheta2 with Aria phono stage but returned the Aria after a couple of days.
    To my ears it was way to opfront sound vice.

24. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I don't have one, but was considering making it my next TT upgrade (end of 2020 or early 2021).

Anyone have any idea how it would pair with a Simaudio integrated amp as the primary?

25. Echoes Myron

I found that the Aria was very forward in the MM stage with the Exact 2.

But with the MC Alpheta 2, the Aria is just perfect to my ears...detailed, balanced tone, and relaxed. Not bright at all.