Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. OAI

OAI Forum Resident

Amazon.ca still saying arriving by 8pm but not shipped, guess it is coming by drone or teleport :(

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  2. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Wonder why Knebworth isn't on the streaming version. Oh, well, good to be able to hear the rest without incurring the vast expense of the box!

Lownote30 likes this.
  3. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Same reason they left off Continu/ation from the downloads and streams of the previous box: so you'd have to buy the big box if you wanted everything.

ARK, gabbleratchet7, phil.jp and 4 others like this.
  4. OAI

OAI Forum Resident

Pretty sure they are just keeping some content exclusive to the Box. I suspect we see standalone Blurays for DSOT and Pulse but Knebworth, Venice and the 5.1 mixes stay exclusive. Just speculation on my part, but as I've said all along, no way they aren't going to milk their efforts for every last penny and the great unwashed aren't shelling out $400 or whatever for a box.

5. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

Thanks.

coffeetime likes this.
  6. realmdemagic

realmdemagic Forum Resident

3 out of the 7 Knebworth Tracks are on digital/streaming via the Highlights edition, which isn't a bad ratio.

ARK, obi, LarsO and 1 other person like this.
  7. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

If they split this box up and don't include the 5.1 of Division Bell and the remixed 5.1 of AMLoR, I'm not going to be happy. Those are the two things I want, and I refuse to pay for the whole box set just to get them.

BeatleJWOL, drum_cas, tspit74 and 3 others like this.
  8. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

Streaming (and throughly enjoying) the Later Years on Apple Music. I'm so tempted to buy the physical box but I can't justify the cost to music ratio. Having bought the expensive Early Years physical box, I know I just won't revisit the video and ephemera often enough.

Today I'm deciding between an iTunes lossy download @ $40 vs. HD Tracks ALAC download @ $65 (for now), and hoping for future individual CD releases in the future. And and DSoT on Blu-ray. Or maybe I'll fold and buy the box if the price drops.

9. Panama Jack

Panama Jack Forum Resident

10. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

While I prefer physical media, the download links highlight how light in content the boxset is - the above link has 4 out of the 5 CDs it appears yet come to only 46 tracks. The DVD and Bluray disks really just replicate this content, but are not adding much actual extra audio content. It's just duplication.

I may be tempted to buy it in this form.

Frans T and superstar19 like this.
  11. OAI

OAI Forum Resident

I think Karma has bitten me on the ass for complaining too much about the set. Still not shipped from amazon.ca, and delivery date now changed from today to Wednesday. I want to cancel the order as I'm pissed, have any of my fellow Canadians found any retailer other than amazon selling it?

12. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Got the stereo AMLOR & expanded DSOT discs listened to at work today. Delicate remixed and expanded is freaking phenomenal! Whilst I enjoyed all of the additions (so good to hear WTTM), it was CN that blew me away. I'm sure I read/heard that David steps away from the album solos the more inspired he feels. If inspiration isn't striking, he goes with the album solos & phrases - none too shabby themselves.

Well, the new mix and edit of CN shows David at his most inspired! I always enjoyed the DSOT version of CN over the years but hearing it in its new form today, it was akin to hearing it all anew.

13. Panama Jack

Since I am primarily only interested in the remix of AMLOR, I didn't pay much attention to the contents of the rest of the set, but for some reason I thought this set also included CDs of The Division Bell and The Endless River. So yeah, the CD content is pretty light. But what you get in video content if you actually purchase the box is pretty spectacular.

14. deadvoices

deadvoices amused to death

Purchased the iTunes version for now as its Apple Digital Master and to my ears not much difference compared to hdtracks. Might get the box later. Outstanding upgrade on both DSoT and AMLOR. As mentioned above, Comfortably Numb is truly magical.

Mike McMann and coffeetime like this.
  15. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Great the know that the audio of the box is on apple music

Thanks PF records!!!

croquetlawns and coffeetime like this.
  16. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

And Tidal.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  17. OAI

OAI Forum Resident

Honestly, he was like that all tour and again in 94, and exactly why I get so frustrated with these edits as they simply retard his amazing creative efforts. Exactly why I followed him around like some kind of dead head :) When at his best, he literally sings out of that strat, and when edited it's like a bunch of words that make no sense, well not complete sense anyway-sure it sounds cool, but it severely lacks at the same time.

Really glad we finally get most of CN. Think about it, this version has 2 full more minutes of the solo than the original VHS. I think it really hurts his legacy especially with younger fans that didn't get a chance to see him in his prime. Those people have that have only heard the edited versions think he is great but really don't know how great. To be able to get up in front of thousands of people at the climax(s) of the show and improvise to the extent he does on massive solos like this CN and others like Sorrow and OTTA etc, spilling out his soul...Gilmour is a god, maybe not THE God, but a god none the less :)

St. Troy, Jam757, JulesRules and 7 others like this.
  18. StormCloud

StormCloud They are not artists! (shouts the 'genie')

I do agree entirely with your opinion regarding the audio content, however, there are many interesting videos and memorabilia that justify more than enough the investment on TLY.

jrdiandrea, zinan and rontoon like this.
  19. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

What site did you buy them from? The usual sites 7Digital and Hi-Rez audio don't have them for US residents.

Many Thanks

Scott

20. Nothing4Free

Nothing4Free Forum Resident

It's kind of interesting they found good stuff from the 93/94 sessions they hadn't used for "The Endless River". Even "Nervana" that was included sounds different, I didn't go back to the TER version though to check.

21. Panama Jack

HDtracks and Qobuz have it in hi-res

22. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

23. realmdemagic

realmdemagic Forum Resident

Just finished AMLOR remix. This has always been one of my favorite Floyd albums, and I have to say the remix is very tasteful. It's refreshing, but still holds everything I loved in the original version.
    I'm hearing things that were only barely audible before, the songs have a better flow. It still sounds like an 80s album, but IMO, this how it should have always sounded.

coffeetime and OAI like this.
  24. Beefalo

Beefalo Living the high life. Bungalow ranch style....

Please clarify: Which AMLOR audio is clipped....5.1 mix or something else ???
    Thanks !!!

25. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Justin is such a great guitar player, teacher and fellow

:righton: