New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

The soundtrack vinyl arrived today and is spinning now. My goodness there's quite a lot more of his ridiculous twang on this than its studio counterpart.

I really don't understand it or why he does it. It's like me, a broad Yorkshire man, visting Scotland for a holiday and coming back with a Glaswegian accent :yikes:

Which in my case, by the way, is never going to happen. The accent that is, not visting Scotland, that's a lovely place to visit.

walrus, Davidmk5, NunoBento and 4 others like this.
  2. hodgo

I've not checked, is that really the difference? if so it then that's what I'm hearing.

How do the CD and vinyl versions of the soundtrack compare?

3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is surprising because the industry loves Springsteen. He even got a special acknowledgement from the Tony Awards when they couldn’t figure out a way to give him a traditional award. One would think the power brokers would have ensured a Grammy nomination.

RSteven, NunoBento and JoeF. like this.
  4. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

It's not the same at all. A musician is a performer and for these songs on this album, he obviously feels the performance calls for an accent to emphasize the country flavor he was going for. He's an actor playing a part if you will. I'm not saying it completely works, but I understand why he does it.

5. hodgo

You have point but he often even speaks that way, which is odd seeing as he's spent most of his life in either New Jersey or California.

fishcane and budwhite like this.
  6. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

I have always thought the twang was a reaction/crutch for his declining vocal abilities, don't mind it though.

RSteven and hodgo like this.
  7. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I’m so glad you noticed that interlude towards the end of “Stones.” I’m pretty sure I mentioned that earlier on one of the WS threads and I thought I was the only one who picked it up. It certainly does evoke Main Point ‘75.
    The twangy guitar that emerges from those strings is evocative of “ Darkness on the Edge of Town.”

JAuz likes this.
  8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. Some of it may have been for artistic license, but some of it also seems like a crutch. And that isn’t a jab against him, he isn’t the first aging vocalist to employ new techniques.

RSteven, JoeF. and Mike M like this.
  9. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

It’s kind of annoying because he uses his New Jersey accent on the studio versions— especially on “Sundown” and “ There Goes...”

hodgo likes this.
  10. hodgo

Yes, Hitch Hikin' is also pretty bad with twang on the live album, in fact that was the first thing I noticed about it. At one point he even introduces a song with such twang laden spoken words that just make him sound ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying both albums, but I have to say I'm preferring the studio version due to the twang on the other record.

11. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I can’t remove myself from hearing Bruce just trying to be something he is not on these tracks, I’d rather hear more from the swamps of Jersey

hodgo likes this.
  12. Richard Maryanski

Richard Maryanski Forum Resident

The Western Stars film is available on Amazon to purchase in HD for $0.99.

brownie61 likes this.
  13. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Awesome, thank you!

14. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

It's showing $14.99 for me.

15. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I presume that's either an error or you have $14 in digital credits, as that would be an incredible price. It shows up as $14.99 for me.

16. Richard Maryanski

Richard Maryanski Forum Resident

Sorry, I completed my purchase at $0.99, now looks showing $14.99.

17. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

No problem with the twang. Didn't the Beatles do the same thing by singing in an American accent? Tom Petty does this also (toynup greens?) off his Mojo album. As a matter of fact most Brit musicians do (except for 'ermin's 'ermits)

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  18. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Yes, unfortunately by the time I got there it was $14.99 for me as well.

19. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Had it in my Amazon cart pending reduction in price.

Now it says no longer available from seller (Amazon) and only 1 new and 1 used available.

20. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Not to turn this into a shipping thread, but I had pre-ordered the Blu-ray from Amazon before they had an actual release date. Was supposed to have been delivered this past Thursday (12/19), which then got bumped to today (12/21.) Received an email earlier today letting me know it won't be delivered until sometime between 1/13/20 and 2/5/20. The product listing on Amazon's site now states it usually ships within 1 to 2 months (!!)

Just ordered from Walmart for a 12/26 delivery - suppose I should be skeptical.

matt79rome89 and RSteven like this.
  21. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

I’m curious about the digital download on the Blu Ray. Wondering if it will play 4K when matched with other services like iTunes. I’m guessing it will. Also if there are other audio options on the Blu Ray please let us know.

22. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I was surprised side sellers had it listed before Amazon did for sake & still do & the Amazon price is $35 ? and now like you say says 1 - 2 months to ship it ........

23. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

Makes you wonder if there’s a production issue.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  24. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

FWIW I’ve been seeing this a lot with releases on Amazon. The new posthumous Harry Nilsson was out of stock - seemed like on release date. Took several weeks to come back in stock. There were similar issues with other older artists with new re-releases.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  25. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Santa and his reindeers came good on the BluRay...

PJayBe and Alan G like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.