Iron Maiden Remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by old school, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Cool. Yes, do share the song and point where you're hearing the double beater, I'd love to check for myself.

Ahhh, the '99 tour. That was a wonderful show. :love:
    I have no concrete info/evidence of Nicko changing his setup around that time, though. Any info (by anyone!) is appreciated.

john morris likes this.
  2. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

I am freezing out here.....

Check out the Brave New World album. All of if sudden Nicko goes double bass roll crazy. Coincidence? ...Maybe. Please excuse me. I have been really busy trying to get a job at local Toronto studios. One studio owner took one look at me and said, "Oh it's you. Bye John. Next..." This is my rep of being a maverick. A while back a client really wanted his song demo smashed. I said, "Go **** yourself." I guess words gets around.

Anyway sorry for taking so long. I will go home and listen to Brave New World.

3. john morris

In all honesty A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH took a while to grow on me. Maybe too long.

4. john morris

Don't we all freaking love Maiden....Bought NUMBER OF THE BEAST in 1983.

The goal of the audiophile is to spend all of his money....LOL :)

Seriously, an audiophile system should be able to reproduce a live concert. As in acoustic live concert. Like a string Octet or a Jazz trio. For Rock and the like the goal is to reproduce exactly what is on the record, tape, file or CD. Mono mixes are not more audiophile than mustard is more to hotdogs. An audiophile recording can: be mono, stereo, quad or even 5.1.

A bad mix is separate from the sound quality of the recording. The important thing for the audiophile is the ability of his/her system to play perfectly what is on that CD regardless of mix.

I had to get that off my chest....

heepsterandrey and Plan9 like this.
  5. john morris

That is probably the REAL reason he never had two bass drums. And not the 1983 statement of, "Two bass drums is undrummery." (Not a real word I know)

A lot of this stuff is in the IRON MAIDEN Biography put out in 2001. I will check it when I get home. Promise!

6. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

No hurry, my friend. Good luck getting that job!

7. john morris

I am getting old and senile. I checked - no such song on BRAVE NEW WORLD. The only one I can think of his FACE IN THE SAND from "Dance Of Death." He is not playing the high hat and kick at the same time but he sure is banging that beater pretty fast. But I finally saw Nicko with double beater in a video but it was a two footer one. Oh well....Guess I was wrong this time.

JediJoker likes this.
  8. Slice

Slice Fan Of Rock

How does A Matter Of Life And Death sound on the 2015 vinyl version vs the CD?

9. john morris

Well my 2008 A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH vinyl picture disk was junk. I assume this new release will not be a picture disk? If you check on Utube you find people paying their entire 2015 Iron Maiden albums on line..I have heard: NUMBER.OF THE BEAST, PEACE OF MIND AND POWERSLAVE. They were noisy as hell. Even in the loud passages you could hear the record noise. And the turntable looked like a Project or a Rega. So this were audiophile tables and not some 1986 plastic $200 Dual. I assume A MATTER AND LIFE AND DEATH will be the same.
    The albums sounded like the original records but with so noisy it wouldn't be worth it.

Every Utube video of a vinyl record playing seems be really noisy and/or the person in question didn't bother to clean the record properly. They think wood glue and alcohol is good way to clean vinyl..
    I keep running into vinyl files on Utube who don't own a Wet vacuum cleaning machine. Or at least SPIN CLEAN ($100).
    They don't even mention it. One guy on Utube had thousands of records and was cleaning his valuable record collection with rubbing alcohol and glue. And he was saying, "This is the best way." Huh!?

So even when I hear a record on Utube I can't properly judge it because of this nonsense.

10. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Sounds good. Better on my rig anyway. A far cry from a picture disk. YMMV.

john morris likes this.
  11. john morris

How dare you insult those horrible 2015 Maiden Remasters! Take a rest and let others criticize them for awhile and then come back. LOL LOL :)

I finally heard some 30 some odd songs MP3 (256 at least) taken from the Iron Maiden 2015 CD remaster catalog. What the organic gluten free fudge!!?
    No EQ but almost just as much compression as on the 1998 versions. Even on basic software like NCH Wavepad Editor I could see how the 2015 remaster and the 1998 nonsense were JUST AS LOUD. O.k. the 2015 remasters don't have all the EQ and the multi-band compression that the 1998 CDs have. One really bad example of how bad the 1998 ones really are: Number Of The Beast you can hear the compressor pulling the tom fills down at the beginning of the track.

The first time I had access to multiband compression I went insane. It was invented to fix frequency problems only. Not a toy!

I understand that they needed a competitive level for the CD. Compression o.k. fine but not
    THIS MUCH. How can any mastering engineer sit there with these classic Rock masters and ruin them? The dynamic range from the original albums and all the subtle details are gone.

A better idea is to do a flat transfer. Then master the album how you want and put those mastered tracks as 320 mp3s at the end of the album. This way everyone is satisfied. But no, we get Bent over and serviced rudely by these overly loud albums. It makes no sense. Replay Gain, normalization on streaming services and compression on radio make the whole "over compresed" loud music unnecessary and a waste of time. And that is why I call the mastering engineers in question- idiots. How can they not hear how crappy all this sounds? Remember they have amps and speakers way better than we do.

Just my Canadain nickel...

JediJoker likes this.
  12. john morris

I bought that piece of "picture disk" excrement.
    It made my Rega 3 (If the table runs fast I beat it severely with my belt. That brings the speed back to 33.33rpm), Sumiko high output MC cartridge and Project Mark 2 phono preamp sound like a 1961 kiddies record player! How can they put out that garbage?

13. Board

Board Forum Resident

I had a spin clean for a short period. I didn't like it so much, but that was mainly because I felt concerned that the cleaning solution would dry in the grooves. So I didn't do a side-by-side comparison with that machine.
    I've never tried ultrasonic cleaning, and it's probably amazing, but using wood glue, or the official product Record Skin/Disco Film, has been the best cleaning method I've tried.
    Two others that I've talked to, who both had a record cleaning machine (Okki Nokki I think) said the wood glue/Disco Film method worked better for them, although it is surely time consuming.

I made a video with soundclips of before and after cleaning with wood glue:

john morris likes this.
  14. john morris

Mmmm.....Interesting. I shall give it some thought. But how do you know what the long term damage wood glue will have on your treasured vinyl? I believe the solution is negatively charged so all the dirt and garbage into the grooves gets negatively charged as well as so falls out or whatever. Yes I know that sounds like a bad sci-fi movie but I read something like that. Please no comments about how wrong I am. I would be shocked to my Quadrone bones if that silly explanation I gave was correct.

But a wet vaccum cleaner or a sonic cleaner is the pro way to go. When I get my Rega P3/Sumiko High output cartridge back from the pawn shop I shall look into it.

My sister recently started up a tape/vinyl to CD company. She will take vinyl that hasn't been put on CD yet and will do a high quality vinyl transfer. For example thousands of West Indies records never made it to compact disk and never will. Ditto for South Africa. I think her turntable is either a old Oracle Delphi or a Rega P9. The cartridge is a London MC with a line contact stylus. I believe the phono preamp stage is a Lynn tube. The whole set up is over $20 000 and is overkill in my opinion.

15. Board

Board Forum Resident

I don't know if it's negatively charged or not.
    As far as I know the process is simply like a sticker - all the dirt attaches to the glue, and when you pull the glue off, the dirt is stuck to the glue. I once found a website where they used Disco Film to clean a camera lens and then showed close-up pictures of the lens before and after the cleaning. I know that's a completely different material though.
    As far as I recall, someone on Youtube also made a video with before and after pictures of a wood-glue cleaned record through a micoscope.

Although using wood glue is a slow process, then it's cheap, and a record cleaning machine is expensive. I don't have enough records to clean anyway, so I won't buy one. Also, somehow I sense that more of the cleaning solution would stay in the grooves with a record cleaning machine - after all, it has to dry a bit after cleaning as far as I know.

john morris likes this.
  16. john morris

Excuse me I meant the Spin Clean solution being negatively charged. LOL

I feel old.....Wet vacuum cleaning machines have been used for almost 50 years now. They are tried and true. They suck out the solution and the dirt that is the grooves. My Uncle has an old Nitty Gritiy machine. Trust me, they work.

The sonic cleaners are a different matter. But if you have ever heard a record after it has been cleaned by a Nitty Gritty then you would know what I mean. The reason wood glue and other methods have become popular is become they are cheap. But I don't have $1500 for a Nitty Gritty either. :)

Queezma likes this.
  17. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I do have a Nitty Gritty 2.0 Fi and it’s a godsend.

18. Board

Board Forum Resident

I don't doubt that the record cleaning machines work. Several years ago I was planning to buy one but never got around to it. I did have one record cleaned on such a machine, and the guy who cleaned it for me asked me to play the record once for the cartridge to dig out any remaining dirt/residue before actually listening and evaluating. As far as I remember that hasn't been necessary when I've used wood glue/disco film.
    But again, I think the record cleaning machines are great. Two people told me that they felt that wood glue/disco film worked better, and one of them had stopped using his machine after discovering disco film, but I can't vouch for any of their claims except for that one demonstration I mentioned at the beginning of this message.

19. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

I have a quick qustion... wb is re-releasing Maiden's discography... everything has been remastered. So, does that mean the 2014 pressing are getting out of print?

20. obi

obi Forum Resident

You're going to have to be a bit more specific than that. Do you have a link to a press release? I haven't seen anything to indicate that there are new vinyl releases of Iron Maiden coming.

21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I honestly never think about things like this. I've nothing against people who do, but personally I don't get past 'Do I like what I'm hearing or not?' when it comes to sound quality.

obi likes this.
  22. john morris

Maybe I am different. I am more likely to enjoy the music if the sound quality is better. If course there is a minor to that.

Slice and Man at C&A like this.
  23. john morris

This post may have confused some.
    In Metal, engineers emphasize the mid-range of the beater and roll down the low end. The fast beaters would be lost in the low thud of the beater. Which is dog excrement? When did engineers get this lazy? You insert a compressor on the kick track and set it for a very fast attack and release time. That will take care of the many booms blurring into one. And yet no one could figure this out. There solution was to cut the stones from the kick. Nice!

24. john morris

I could see how the wood glue thing could work. Put the glue in the grooves and then all the dirt and junk sticks to it so when you break off the hardened glue it takes all the dirt and crap with it. Sounds good. But surely the hardened glue could damage your vinyl when you break it off. Sounds real good though. Might try it one day.

Wet vacuum cleaning machines do the cleaning right. You made need a second cleaning but some sort of after cleaning shouldn't be necessary. But.....??

25. john morris

Can I come over? I've got beer.

Queezma and steveharris like this.