Shenanigans as Gabriel era Genesis fans in the 1980's......

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wally Swift, Dec 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will... Thread Starter

Ha, just remembered something funny. Back in the 80's I was tape trading and started getting rare Genesis videos. In Concert, Midnight Special '73, Belgian TV, etc. We used to rent commercial Genesis videos [post-Mama stuff] from Blockbuster, or Phil solo videos and subvert them. We duped the rented tape and halfway through we would drop the sound down while the video for say That's All would be playing. Then we would add a voice saying "what is wrong with you people? This isn't Genesis....blah,blah,blah throwing new Genesis under the bus. Then we'd add old Gabriel footage instead. Then we'd carefully remove the rental labels, open the shells and switch the tapes. Then of course return our subverted tape to Blockbuster.

2. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

That is a funny story. Although I would be annoyed as I was one of those people getting into Genesis in the 80's. I liked it all equally---I remember buying Invisible Touch then two weeks later Foxtrot. Same thing with Yes---loved both 90125 and their classic 70's stuff. To me it was all good music and amazing to discover as a teenager.

CraigC, Pete Puma, Jmac1979 and 12 others like this.
  3. Nowadays you could be charged with hair shaming folliclely and rhythmically challenged British cis gendered males.

4. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

Wally Swift likes this.
  5. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Possibly amusing to you, and to other hardcore Genesis fans here, but that high school-ish prank could be really disappointing to a young fan who’d rented that video to try to see their new favorite band.

6. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

How dare you??? - Pippi Scoldstocking.

7. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Ahh....Genesis fans.....they were hilarious back in the day.

8. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

This is a recipe for trouble, posting this story to this forum. Hoffmanites will get ideas. Stealing copies of brickwalled CD reissues , replacing them with vinyl rips and sneaking them back into the store. Rearranging the running order of albums. Dear god, the possibilities are endless...

9. Wally Swift

Or a revelation!

10. But thankfully, only the Beatles, McCartney and the Monkees will be affected.

11. Wally Swift

Whattya expect from fans of a guy who runs around on stage with a huge daisy around his head, gets ejaculated out of a giant ***** and tells perverted stories about boinking the house cat in the toilet [Imperial College '72 boot if memory serves]?

12. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

From Genesis to.....

lightbulb, Eric_Generic and forthlin like this.
  13. Wally Swift

[​IMG]

14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Surprised the next renter didn't report it to Blockbuster and Blockbuster fine you for damaging the video. Some of those tapes were unbelievably expensive back in the day!

15. Wally Swift

Perhaps it had the opposite effect?

Plus, more than likely they just assumed it was some error from the factory.

16. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Yup...that's why Genesis fans had time to fiddle with the VHS's...no girlfriends.

17. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

This just made me laugh out loud. On a crowded subway train!
    :biglaugh:

18. Wally Swift

These shenanigans of mine were actually performed in my bedroom that I shared with my live-in girlfriend. She wasn't a party to the hi-jinks though. And not only that but shortly before that relationship I was writing back and forth with a female Genesis/Gabriel fan in Florida who was new to tape trading at at one point she started sending me suggestive pictures of herself and inviting me to come visit her.

19. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

You're the man!

20. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

You're Welcome.

Wally - I'm only having a bit of fun at the expense of Genesis fans (myself included). Couldn't resist it.....season of goodwill and all that.:hugs:

Dominator likes this.
  21. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

What about 8-track rips? Come on, I bet most of you have some tapes that were lying around in direct sun for decades, damaging the tape, just waiting to be used for this kind of prank - that way, you even get the rearranged running order :D

Peace N. Love likes this.
  22. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Please tell me there were sunflowers involved. :unhunh:

23. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Back in the '80s, huh? When videotapes had obscenely high costs to merchants ($50-$75)? Yeah, I'm sure this was hilarious to the manager of the Blockbuster, for whom loss to the store affected any possible performance bonus and could possibly lose them their job.

What a knee-slapper!

24. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Probably the guy who directed "Be Kind Rewind" rented one of those tapes and got inspired! :righton::wave:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    Wally Swift, Buddybud and ajsmith like this.
  25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, that's d-bag territory. Damaging someone else's property because you didn't like a band? :wtf:

Lost In The Flood, jlf, AKA and 14 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.