Best Picture Oscar Winners : The Good, The Bad and The Really?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Dec 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Gwyneth Paltrow was good, I get it. But man, time has sure shown that her win was a fluke.

2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

' Pearl Harbor ' was a horror. Terrible movie.
    As for ' Saving Private Ryan '....it had its moments but they didn' t justify the Best Picture Oscar. I can' t recall off hand what else was in the running that year.

3. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

1998: Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan and Lief is Beautiful

unclefred likes this.
  4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

not exactly sure of the words he used, but it was something about his support of meryl streep's words denouncing donald trump.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Movies are more than the sum of their endings. We knew how "Apollo 13" would end, too, but it was still a really good movie.

Besides, "Titanic" involves fictional characters, so even though "the ship sank", you don't know how their journeys will go...

HaileyMcComet and budwhite like this.
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

'the thin red line' and 'elizabeth' were the other 2 movies nomminated....5 pretty bad choices.

'titanic' won the following year beating' l.a. confidential' and 'good will hunting'

7. Oatsdad

That's one that looks worse in retrospect that it did in 1979.

"Apoc Now" was seen as more of a mixed bag back then - it wasn't the beloved classic it is now - whereas "KvK" got great reviews and it made a lot of money.

Heck, I can remember some sentiment that "Apoc Now" didn't even deserve a nom as BP!

Pete Puma likes this.
  8. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

1941 “How Green was my Valley” winning over “Citizen Kane”, “The Maltese Falcon”, “Suspicion” and “Sergeant York”.

HaileyMcComet, apesfan and Vidiot like this.
  9. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Titanic was a great movie that while focusing on a love story also accurately portrayed the American class system. I think it actually improves with age.

Saving Private Ryan on the other hand was full of stock characters and ham-handed metaphors. While the battle scenes were well done, the story behind it all was pretty weak. I'm not a big fan of Shakespeare in Love but I think it's definitely the better of the two here.

'06's Crash & '05's Million Dollar Baby were plain awful, and were obvious with their attempts to manipulate their audience. I think MDB's win over Sideways was the more egregious of the two.

Worse than those to me is '97's The English Patient. A movie so bad they did a Seinfeld episode about it. Fargo & Shine are both way better than this trash.

unclefred and mmars982 like this.
  10. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I know that Crash often gets picked as the worst best picture. And it beat out Brokeback Mountain.

11. Oatsdad

Yeah, but it has the hot Ryan granddaughter in the purple shirt! :love:

[​IMG]

PH416156 likes this.
  12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The original deep fake 20+ years ago. - and they still look fake today. You can’t fool the eye when it comes to faces. During the course of your life you’re probably going register a few hundred thousand faces in your brain and be able to tell them all apart.

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

lol. That’s like Taylor Swift beating out Mozart.

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Even as a13 year old I knew that movie blew.

15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

2005: They have Capote, Brokeback mountain, Munich.

But they give the Oscar to...Crash. :biglaugh:

And Pride and prejudice and Walk the line didn't even get a nomination!

2016: they have La la land, Manchester by the sea, Hacksaw ridge, Hell or high water.

But they give the Oscar to.. Moonlight :biglaugh:

16. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I think Taylor could beat him. Mozart is dead after all.

Ghostworld likes this.
  17. Wildest cat from montana

All classics but ' How Green...' is a bit sappy. However , ' The Maltese Falcon '!!!

Ghostworld likes this.
  18. Wildest cat from montana

It' s criminal ' Fargo ' lost out to ' The English Patient ' , a dull and plodding movie.

19. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

The "Greatest Show" pick is an odd one.

Of that list "Singing In The Rain", "The Quiet Man", and "High Noon" are so re-watchable.

You could argue that those films could be the high point for each of the lead actors (Gene Kelley, John Wayne, & Gary Cooper).

Maybe the vote was so split in a "pick one" tally, that Greatest was able to squeak by.

20. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Forrest Gump by a mile over those films

Quiz show is the second best in that list.

21. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Night of the Hunter not even getting a single nomination.

Some lousy winners as of late, Birdman, Argo and Spotlight (great subject, safe movie.) Some didn't like Green Book but I at least found it fun to watch. I also recently watched From Here to Eternity and found it kinda bad, and found Sinatra to be an obvious cloying attempt for an Oscar. The whole scene of him wandering across the 2 sitting in the road was so eye-rolling forced. I found Gentleman's Agreement to be a nice sentiment, but a boring one note plot, and if I heard the word Jew one more time I was about to explode. Going My Way in no way deserved to win against Double Indemnity and Gaslight. This brings me to this question, did they skip the Oscars the year King Kong came out or did they drop the ball there as well?

22. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

... that was not nominated for Best Picture, or any other major awards. Though it won an Oscar for sound editing.

23. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

From what I remember from Lillian Gish’s autobiography, she wasn’t impressed by “Night of the Hunter”

“King Kong” didn’t get any nominations. Selznick tried to get a special award for visual effects but none existed until 1938. “Cavalcade” which won, was popular and critically praised at the time but modern audiences aren’t as impressed.

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I’ve always been embarrassed by the fact that “best picture” of the year I was born, 1958, is “Gigi.” Why couldn’t it have been in the heat of the night or cool hand Luke. I mean, freaking Gigi ? What an embarrassment to me as a cineaste. Oh yeah the English patient was a total Bore.

a customer likes this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That’s because she didn’t have any icebergs to jump across.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.