Shenanigans as Gabriel era Genesis fans in the 1980's......

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wally Swift, Dec 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Yea, I understand that. Someone still paid to rent them .... Someone had still already paid to buy them for their business.
    I know you guys were just larking, but it's a pretty f'kd up thing to do

2. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

The irony is this is so punk rock.

3. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Then, he should have pranked a Sex Pistols tape!
    Anarchy In The VHS

jay.dee and Wally Swift like this.
  4. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Growing up, there was music I completely detested, and thought very little of the people who were fans of it. I never once thought about renting and destroying someone else’s property because of it.

Don’t like Collins-led Genesis? Ignore it. Go listen to Peter Gabriel and get on with your life.

I would be embarrassed to tell people I did something like this.

jlf, AKA, Paul King and 12 others like this.
  5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Hey, I think this story is funny as well! :righton:

man in the moon and Wally Swift like this.
  6. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

It's NOT funny. It's destroying public property. A totally selfish prank.
    Whatever. It doesn't seem to bother you in the least being juvenile.

7. peteham

peteham Senior Member

It does remind me of the time I lifted a cassette of Revolver from my friend’s apartment. I then erased Eleanor Rigby and replaced it with the instrumental version from Anthology with my own tortured vocals overdubbed on top.

8. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

What's actually funny is the OP spent more time and energy crafting his oh so subversive prank than the recipient did returning the tape and getting their money back.

9. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Something tells me it never happened. He just came up with another angle on the Pro-Gabriel Genesis Fanboy mentality.
    This guy had to be either in his late teens or early twenties when he supposedly did this. If that's true, he had some issues. I can see a pre-teen doing this, but not a young adult. He never got caught? Sure.

And I say this because when I was in 5th grade, my teacher rented out a reading program that was cassette-tape based. I knew how to cover up the "erase tabs" with tape so you could record over the pre-recorded tape. So I dared a classmate to record some silly stuff over one of the tapes and got BUSTED for it a few days afterwards! The teacher was furious at me. He called my folks. (My mom was mad, but rather amused by my ingenuity..........! No kids really knew about that. I actually would read the owner's manual for my tape recorders!) My teacher really got me with guilt as he had to pay to replace the tapes out of his own pocket. As a result of this I NEVER even thought about destroying public property ever again. My teacher did however, make me "head" of whatever technology we used in class!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Hep Alien, ajsmith, lightbulb and 2 others like this.
  10. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Now that is funny! :laugh:

11. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Possible thread re-titles:

“What Silly Juvenile Pranks Have You Commited As An Adult?”

“I Have Absolutely No Remorse”

“Feats Of My Musical Superiority”

;)

Comet01 and mark winstanley like this.
  12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

"Isn't Life Straa aaa a ange" ....

lightbulb likes this.
  13. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

The funny part for me was prog ect partly are what brought about punk.
    Gabriel Genesis is punk compared to the Collins Shopping mall schmaltz the band had turned into.
    Say what you will that early band could throw down. I imagine the later band could as well but
    didn't. I think the op's story is great and a testament to the joy of juvenile reckless youth.
    Hi jinx at its best.

Wally Swift likes this.
  14. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

I don't understand how you got the laugh payoff in that. You returned the tapes. Did you then hide by the aisle and wait to see if someone rented the tape, and then giggled as the guy went through the checkout line?

Did you follow the renter home and secretly peek in and watched to see him load the tape and eventually see Gabriel footage, and then laugh uproariously standing outside in the bushes?

It sure seems to be a lot of work to do for a very small payoff in the long run.

Let me guess--you're one of the azzclowns who goes to the Musical Box tribute concerts and yells out in the middle of a quiet part of Suppers Ready. "Sussudio!"

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think the OP expected this thread to go a different way than it did! :shh:

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  16. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will... Thread Starter

I see that bald Phil fans are way more serious than I ever realized!

showtaper, vivalapsych and ArpMoog like this.
  17. Wally Swift

I'm actually getting more laughs from these responses than the original prank delivered!

vivalapsych likes this.
  18. Wally Swift

No, we yell out Supper's Ready during Man On a Corner. C'mon, that much should be obvious, no?

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. Wally Swift

And for the record when we met Genesis in 1986 Phil himself was sarcastic and rude about the glory days whereas Tony on the other hand was polite, took pictures with us and signed a stack of classic Genesis items for each of us. He was actually happily taken aback when he saw my Happy The Man single. At the time we layed all the blame on Phil, right or wrong.

[​IMG]

20. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The Wembley Stadium and Way We Walk videos were huge for me as a kid, and made me a lifelong fan. I’d be bummed if I didn’t get to see them.

mark winstanley likes this.
  21. Wally Swift

I think to get the humor here one has to have been a fan of early Genesis in the 80's when that whole thing with "That's All" etc. was happening.

22. Wally Swift

Absolutely true story. I was obsessed with 2 things [besides women] in 1986 when I was 22: my audio/video hobby and Genesis in particular. Got caught? This wasn't bank robbery!

vivalapsych likes this.
  23. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

You like yourself a fair bit, don't you? :laugh:

24. DrProgQuest

I'm a Genesis fan, and I'm not bald. Me and my buddies once staged a fake 'lion loose in the zoo prank', complete with extras running around in the zoo screaming "there's a lion loose, run for your lives!". The difference between our prank and yours was that we actually got to see the payoff as people panicked and hid and headed for the exits. Yours is useless silly putty in comparison.

Lost In The Flood and Jmac1979 like this.
  25. DrProgQuest

You're one real badarse aren't you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.