Shenanigans as Gabriel era Genesis fans in the 1980's......

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wally Swift, Dec 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

So you were too young to have seen the Gabriel era or most likely even the Hackett era Genesis live. Lol, now that's funny.:evil:

2. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will... Thread Starter

That's just silly. Should I throw out all my pre-war hillbilly music too?

3. Wally Swift

Sometimes.

4. Wally Swift

Ok. I wouldn't argue that. But this wasn't a scenario where we sat around brainstorming the ultimate prank. And really the main motivation was to enlighten someone on the greatness that was once Genesis. But we also thought the opposite response would be amusing. Seeing how many of you are absolutely irate over some silliness that happened over 30 years ago is kinda like I am seeing the results of what we thought was funny then, now. And that in of itself is most definitely prog!

showtaper and vivalapsych like this.
  5. Wally Swift

My comment was meant to be understood as fans of Genesis during the era that Phil was bald. Not bald fans of Genesis.

vivalapsych and mark winstanley like this.
  6. DrProgQuest

Meh, I say it never happened. Those concert videos (and as a diehard Genesis fan since 74-75 I have all of them) were copy protected with Macrovision. You couldn't just tape over parts, add audio on top of the pre recorded track and insert things onto the existing tape. I call balderdash, ie a trick of the tail.:thumbsdow

7. Wally Swift

Time base correctors are older than both of us.

8. Wally Swift

In fact the earliest VHS tapes I got in trade which were PAL sourced were transferred to NTSC VHS by using a NTSC videocamera to shoot the PAL image off the PAL playback screen while running the audio directly from PAL deck to NTSC deck. But the flickering drove me nuts so I upped my trading game potential quickly.

vivalapsych likes this.
  9. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Okay. Sure.

You as an adult supposedly did something stupid and careless; motivated by weird, rather juvenile reasons; and you think it’s still funny at 55 years old. I’m 55 as well.

Something doesn’t click here.
    Have fun, though.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

There are some pranks I did as a kid I still think are funny, but I'm embarrassed by most of 'em.

Especially if they had a negative outcome for others!

11. ries

ries Forum Resident

notsureiftrolling.jpg

12. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

As with all practical jokes, this is just bad and very wrong, Mr. Wrongee Wrongo!

It's also hilarious! :)

man in the moon and Wally Swift like this.
  13. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

If you do the math, he would've been 22-23 in '86. Maybe even out of college?

14. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

No, but it *was* vandalism. Given the value of the object vandalized, it would be classed as a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine (in the hundreds of dollars) and/or up to one year in your local jail, plus monetary restitution to the owner of the vandalized item.

Hilarious

mark winstanley and O Don Piano like this.
  15. O Don Piano

Right.
    I was 22 during most of 1986 (October birthday) so I just aligned my timeline to his.
    When I was 22, I was performing with bands regularly- doing what I loved and was good at. I certainly wasn't defacing public property just because I didn't like the direction a favorite band went! I might have seen that in junior high school (ages 11-13 generally in the US).
    I wasn't happy in 1979 when ELO released "Shine A Little Love", but I didn't go and alter live ELO VHS tapes that others may have liked!
    I just don't understand the glee the OP still has regarding such a destructive effort.

(I like "Shine A Little Love" now by the way....I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now)

16. DrProgQuest

IF the OP really did this prank (and I have my doubts re altering commercially rented video tapes because of the copy protection issues I cited previously), on top of the complete lack of humor payoff you'd get because you really will never see the result of the prank anyway, think of this.

He said he altered post Mama tour videos in the 80s. After the Mama tour the only other tour video would be the Invisible Touch Tour. Then what, maybe an IT video tape with the MTV videos like Land of Confusion? And Phil solo videos? --then you're not really punking or duping Genesis fans.

How many diehard Genesis fans are even going to BB to rent one of those, IF the BB even carried it? How many rentals would that even cover? My guess is very few. Some of those tapes if they had them, could have sat unrented on the shelves for months, if not years.
    So not only are you not seeing any direct humor payoff IF someone actually rented the tape; that rental by some lonesome Genesis fan sifting through the bins on a Friday night without a date, could have occurred YEARS after this alleged prank even took place! And if they were Phil solo videos, which would be more likely to be rented by girls, you'd be punking a girl who didnt even know or care about Gabriel era Genesis. Lmao, that is actually the funniest aspect of the whole alleged scheme!

Add--I also note the OP made it a point to state several times that he had a live-in girlfriend at this time and his interests back then in addition to altering commercial videotapes was "girls". The emphasis on that aspect of the story raises red flags and further makes me wonder whether HE was the victim of some kind of tape dupe and he turned the story around that he pulled it off on others.:evil::wiggle::pineapple:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  17. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...tough crowd. Lesson learned, never air your dirty laundry on the internet. :D

18. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Wait, . . . someone out there would rent Genesis music videos? Why?

Wally Swift and zphage like this.
  19. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

We take this one step further. When Gabriel left Genesis, he was 11 or 12. No way was he a fan then.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  20. Did I ever tell you about the time I switched out my own acetates for Leadbelly’s on John Lomax at the Library of Congress, good times.

21. O Don Piano

Great logical detective work!
    My question would be: If this is a prank, why? What's the reasoning behind it?

22. DrProgQuest

Lmao, don't ask me. Read the OP first post.

23. Wally Swift

College? Nope, not me.

vivalapsych likes this.
  24. Wally Swift

Btw, my wife is college educated, works as a teacher and devotes considerable time to working with special needs people for free. She thinks the story is hilarious and is also puzzled by these responses.

25. Wally Swift

There needs to be a detective hired to investigate why someone would think a detective would be needed for anything about the OP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.