Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I would rather pay $12 and sit in an empty theater with a blank screen and no movie playing, then to sit through Glass again.

It gets my vote for the WORST movie of the year.

M. Night Shyamalan deserves the P.T. Barnum award.

I don't often agree with the critics reviews, but I think they were being kind.

mrjinks and Pete Puma like this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Man, you don't get out enough if you think Glass was the worst movie of the year. I don't think it was a great film, but I think it was well-made and had some good surprises in it. I think Men in Black: International and Dumbo were far worse, plus they cost a lot more and lost a ton of dough. Gemini Man had me squirming in my seat, it was so bad. Godzilla was boring and stupid to me and I think just missed breaking even. All bombs, terrible reviews, bad across the board. Glass at least made $247 million dollars and got what I'd call mixed-to-good reviews... but I concede, not very good or great reviews. I still say the forthcoming Cats has all the (cat) earmarks of being the biggest bomb of the year, if not the decade. That thing is Weird City.

In other news: I was surprised that Jumanji made more money than expected, and Clint Eastwood's new Richard Jewell film totally tanked -- the biggest bomb of Eastwood's career over the last 40 years...

Box Office: 'Jumanji 2' Opens to Merry $60M, 'Richard Jewell' Falls Flat With $5M

Box Office: ‘Jumanji 2’ Levels Up With $60 Million Debut, ‘Richard Jewell’ Stumbles

'Richard Jewell' Posts Worst Wide Opening for Clint Eastwood

Eastwood’s ‘Richard Jewell’ Flops Amid Controversy

It's not my kind of film, so that's not a movie I'd go out of my way to see. I'm not convinced there's enough of a story there to turn it into good entertainment; apparently, that goes for a lot of other people.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  3. SandAndGlass

I saw the first two Jumanji movies and liked them.

I remember when Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle first came out (2017).

The reviews weren't that positive, like...

"Yet another needless reboot searching for a reason to exist."

"Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle" makes the original "Jumanji" look like a towering cinematic achievement."

I wanted to see it, but missed it. But it surprised everyone, bringing almost 1B on a budget of just under 100M, serving as the largest domestic gross in Sony's history.

Due to this previous movie, I felt that the 2019 sequel would do well.

This years, Jumanji: The Next Level, opening to $60.1 million is the 13th largest December opening ever and the largest December debut for Sony.

While its opening is impressive, this is bound to slow way down, owing to the final Star Wars installment opening next weekend.

Its currently at 212.6 worldwide, but has a budget of $125M, so its future is tentative, through no fault of its own.

But, Frozen II has now passed 1B worldwide.

"This makes Frozen II Disney's sixth $1+ billion global release of 2019 alone. It also serves as the third Walt Disney Animations Studios release to top $1 billion alongside Frozen and Zootopia and the seventh largest animated release ever worldwide. It also now stands as the tenth largest animated release domestically of all-time."

As to Richard Jewell, maybe it is to close to home, when audiences prefer more entertaining biographies, like Rocketman?

Maybe not the right movie for a Christmas release? Maybe people just don't want to know the truth that happened to Richard Jewell?

4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Eastwood was always a nasty piece of work. He lived long enough for it to finally catch up with him. Good.

5. SandAndGlass

Whether or not you like or approve of his movies, he is one of the few in Hollywood that has the guts to make a movie his way, which does involve telling things that people don't necessarily want to see or be exposed to.

Richard Jewell was a hero, what the government did to him was unthinkable. The press pick up on it and carried the ball, not caring about the facts or the consequences.

6. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

He had a lot of people fooled, but you saw right through him, huh?

List of awards and nominations received by Clint Eastwood - Wikipedia

4 Oscars (11 nominations)
    4 Golden Globes (13 nominations)
    3 BAFTA nominations
    Wins in other countries' Best Foreign Language Film competitions for at least nine films he directed
    Irving Thalberg Award
    Jack Valenti Humanitarian Award
    Kennedy Center Honor
    French Légion d'honneur
    Lumière Award
    Comandeur de L' Ordre des Arts et des Lettres at Cannes
    AFI Life Achievement Award
    Cinema for Peace Award 2007 for Most Valuable Movie of the Year

And...in February 2010, Eastwood was recognized by President Barack Obama with an arts and humanities award. Obama called Eastwood's films "essays in individuality, hard truths and the essence of what it means to be American."

7. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Cats smells like a bomb.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Time to empty the litter pan?

9. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I guess so.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. SandAndGlass

I like the play and the DVD is the definitive production of the play, with an all star international cast. I doubt that it gets much better than the DVD on a large screen TV and good HT sound system.

If you haven't seen the DVD, I highly recommend seeing it.

It does appear that they have made some major changes to the play in the movie adaption.

Doesn't look promising.

11. SandAndGlass

Not really about an actual movie release in 2019, but 2019 movie new, all the same.

"Is Quentin Tarantino leaving “Star Trek” behind? The director has been attached to an R-rated “Star Trek” movie for well over a year now, but in a new interview with Consequence of Sound he casts some doubt on whether or not he’ll move forward as the project’s director. Tarantino is committing to his 10-film plan before retiring from feature filmmaking, which means he only has one movie left. “I think I’m steering away from ‘Star Trek,'” Tarantino said, adding that he has not had any official conversations with Paramount Pictures about his involvement."

12. SandAndGlass

Well I got out enough. Had my AMC Stubs A-List pass all year until I left south Florida during the middle of the summer. I saw every movie that played at my local AMC dine-in theater, even some extra ones.

I'll grant you they did cost a lot of money and did loose a lot of money, but usually a movies production cost is no indication of how good the movie will be.

I'll be the first to admit that M. Night Shyamalan is sheer genius. He milked this movie like no other in Hollywood could ever hope to accomplish.

Any other director would have pulled a Dumbo.

I found MIB International funny and entertaining. That is all the expectation that I have for movie sequels like that. Same with the Terminator and Alien sequels, and most of the other Hollywood sequels. Although I just could not get up the muster to do this latest Terminator movie. Just couldn't do it.

While I would agree that Dumbo was a bit dark of for a Disney children's movie, I didn't think it was that bad.

Didn't see it so I couldn't comment, I'll take you word for it. I thought that Ad Astra was awful bad. Maybe it would be a toss-up between Glass and Ad Astra as the worst movie for 2019. Hard to say, as I disliked the both immensely.

Godzilla has some of the best LFE, of any movie I have seen. I like monsters that step on and eat people. We need more movies like that.

No real plot or dialogue needed. But most of Hollywood's big movies, fall into that category anyway, with that respect, Godzilla is same old, same old.

Young actress Millie Bobby Brown, did an excellent job in her first big feature. I expect to see more of her in future movies.

Other than Mille, the other acting was indeed cringeworthy, as was the dialogue.

Looking forward to the Godzilla vs. Kong movie!

Oh yes. I think it will bomb and bomb BIG. They take one of the most successful plays ever and screw it up royally. Only the Hollywood movie makes could accomplish that kind of a feat.

And this comes from someone who is a big fan of the play and the excellent DVD, which is shot on a playhouse stage and essentially captures captures the play completely on video, with the best cast imaginable.

I have even introduced young children to the DVD and taken them to the theater to see the play and they all have loved it.

The movie looks like yet another case of fixing something that is not broken.

CGI cat suits, where a simple decorated unitard would work equally well. But why spend dollars when you can spend hundreds of millions of dollars and get less.

Then to suggest that this is one of the big holiday movies is simply absurd.

Opening opposite of the Star Wars saga finale is stupid beyond belief.

13. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Irrelevant. I don't think he's a Grade A a-hole because of his movies. Although slandering an actual journalist in his latest flick is a new low, but given what I know about him in real life, not surprising.

It's not the fault of the press that investigators screwed up.

And it was the Atlanta Journal Constitution - specifically one old school shoe leather journalist - who got Jewell cleared when he investigated the investigators' claims and found them lacking:

OPINION: AJC wronged Richard Jewell? Wow, what you don’t know

Of course, you didn't see this in Eastwood's sleazy polemic. I can't imagine why.

onanboy and eddiel like this.
  14. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

"Contrary to a swath of recent headlines, I do not believe that Kathy “traded sex for tips”. Nothing in my research suggested she did so, and it was never my intention to suggest she had. That would be an appalling and misogynistic dismissal of the difficult work she did. The perspective of the fictional dramatization of the story, as I understood it, was that Kathy, and the FBI agent who leaked false information to her, were in a pre-existing romantic relationship, not a transactional exchange of sex for information." - Olivia Wilde

15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I don't know. Never underestimate the audience that goes and see musicals. They kind of go against normal logic.

Having said that it might technically be a bomb as it couldn't have been cheap to cast all those people and with the cost of the effects.

But the fact that it looks horrendous shouldn't mean it won't make a lot of money.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  16. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

Haven’t seen it (obviously) and we won’t know for several years, but Cats seems to me to have the best chance to become a Rocky Horror... phenomenon than we’ve seen in a long time. One can easily imagine tipsy midnight audiences in their cat jammies rising in unison to belt out “Memory.”

17. SandAndGlass

Cats has had a DVD of their stage show out for many years that is a favorite of cats fans.

[​IMG]

And they now have a Blu-ray edition out.

[​IMG]

Here, you get to hear and see the real Andrew Lloyd Webber stage play, not some goofy Hollywood production. But I think that your comparison of the movie to The Rocky Horror Picture Show is a good analogy.

Here are all of the songs from the DVD on YouTube.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Never a good sign.

Cats director Tom Hooper told the packed audience at Lincoln Center's Alice Tully Hall in New York on Monday night that he'd just completed the highly anticipated movie at 8 a.m. in London the day before, making the well-heeled crowd among the first audiences to see a finished cut of the VFX-heavy film version of the hit Broadway musical.

19. SandAndGlass

How often do last minute edits and reshoots actually fix the problems with a flawed movie?

Never!

Deuce66 likes this.
  20. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

I have in fact seen early reactions from people on Twitter who enjoy camp that Cats is a masterpiece of confounding trash worthy of rewatching and obsession to pick apart its quirks and flaws on a level that rivals Showgirls - not necessarily the best sign for actual mainstream success, but a future infamous kitsch artifact? Easily believable

21. SandAndGlass

Sounds promising.

Everyone hated Showgirls, but I thought it was a hoot. It was one of those movies that was so bad, it was funny. One of those movies that you could not have made on purpose to be funny.

22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The critics are savaging CATS, 16% at the present time.

Cats (2019)

sunspot42 and SandAndGlass like this.
  23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

It was fun to watch. Have you seen the censored version where they paint on bras? I think some scenes might still be up on Youtube.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I don't know about Rocky, but I always found Cats to be a real Horror and extremely creepy.

25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Vidiot and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.