Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

OUCH!

[​IMG]

That's BAD!

Vidiot and Deuce66 like this.
  2. SandAndGlass

No.

3. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Ha ha...:laugh: and people thought the" Apple" was bad.. tee hee...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Am I the only one who isn't surprised this is getting a bashing from critics. Also opening the same week as Star Wars probably isn't going to do it any favors either.

sunspot42 likes this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Very hard to argue with that list:

'Arctic Dogs'
    'Cats'
    'Dark Phoenix'
    'Domino'
    'The Fanatic'
    'The Haunting of Sharon Tate'
    'A Million Little Pieces'
    'Rambo: Last Blood'
    'Serenity'
    'Trading Paint'

My list of worst films (that I actually saw) were:

Gemini Man
    Hellboy
    Dr. Sleep
    Charlie's Angels
    Terminator: Dark Fate

If I had the guts or time to see Cats, I'm sure it would be on the list. I love the Rolling Stone review headline:

'Cats': A Broadway Musical Adaptation Straight Outta the Litter Box

A good list of the bombs of 2019:

Every Movie Flop, Bomb & Disaster In 2019 | Bomb Report

Quite a few bad animated films on that list. I get that not every film can be Disney, Dreamworks, Illumination (Minions), or Pixar, but these also-rans are awful.

Man, I am getting swamped with screening invitations to The Irishman and 6 Underground. Netflix is trying very, very hard to get some awards recognition for these $150M films. Eh, saw 'em on TV, I'm good already.

6. AirJordanFan93

I think we kind of went over this last week after Playmobil bombed big time. I think a lot of these 2nd or 3rd tier studios feel they can make easy money with a CG animated film with a somewhat recognizable voice cast and leave it at that.

SandAndGlass and Vidiot like this.
  7. SandAndGlass

Here is another 10 worst list of 2019 movies from Rolling Stone. I don't know if there is any order.

They introduce their list with this statement.

"Hollywood swill flooded the multiplex in such large quantities this year that it’s difficult to confine the number of worsts to 10. The public enemy No. 1? How about the tendency of major studios to remake and rejigger, to prequelize and sequelize until the very notion of originality is obliterated from the landscape. But why kick a dead horse — of D.O.A. franchise entries like Men in Black International — when the major offenders were from filmmakers who should have known better yet willingly squandered real possibilities. Here are the worst films that 2019 had to offer. Read this list and actually weep."

Gemini Man made #3 on the list (I know that it is a favorite worst movie on your list).

At #9 is Glass, which is my favorite worst movie for 2019.

So, we both win!

Vidiot likes this.
  8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Star Wars will easily win the weekend however fatigue has settled in.

Box Office: 'Skywalker' Rising to $185M U.S. Bow, 'Cats' Grumpy

Disney and Lucasfilm are being cautious in suggesting $175 million to $185 million for the weekend.

Not even The Force may be immune to some sequel fatigue. Two years ago, Rian Johnson's Star Wars: The Last Jedi — which divided fans — opened to $220 million domestically, while Abrams' Star Wars: The Force Awakens debuted to a then-record $248 million in 2015.

and drumroll for what could be the BOMB of 2019

Universal and Working Title's Cats — which has been ravaged by critics — may have trouble clawing its way to a $10 million domestic debut, while Lionsgate's Bombshell could also come in slightly behind expectations with a projected $6 million to $7 million in its nationwide expansion.

Hooper's big-screen adaptation of the Broadway musical had been tracking to open to $14 million to $17 million. The film, rated PG, hopes to be the choice for families as the holidays get underway. (Two years ago, The Greatest Showman bowed to $8.8 million over Christmas on its way to grossing $174.3 million domestically.)

SandAndGlass and Vidiot like this.
  9. AirJordanFan93

Interesting that interest in Star Wars seems to worsen as each movie comes out while for Marvel they continue to make huge money. I'm sure this could be down to people still being annoyed by The Last Jedi. I haven't seen any of the new Star Wars films but from what I have seen online over the last two years Last Jedi seemed to be the point of no return for a lot of people. It will be interesting to see where Disney goes with it from here and if they go back to the "Anthology" films or just hold off for about 10 years before they eventually get to another trilogy of sequels.

Opening against Star Wars sure was a great idea.

Matthew Tate and Deuce66 like this.
  10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Maybe they knew Cats was gonna bomb anyway and wanted a convienent excuse.

SandAndGlass and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Vidiot

I think it's no coincidence that Disney has indicated they're going to let Kevin Feige try his hand at making "a" Star Wars film in the future.

'Star Wars' Shocker: Marvel's Kevin Feige Developing New Movie for Disney (Exclusive)

I think what this means is that the top Disney management is concerned that perhaps there are better ways to make Star Wars films than what the current Lucasfilm execs are doing. Or putting it another way: maybe Kevin Feige knows something that Kathy Kennedy does not know. Or he's luckier.

12. AirJordanFan93

I think either way something needs to change if Disney is going to continue to release new Star Wars product in the future. It's crazy to think how jaded people are about these movies now when just 4 years ago people were so hyped for The Force Awakens and now it feels like people are just going to see the new one to finish off the trilogy out of a sense of completionism

Matthew Tate and MPLRecords like this.
  13. Eh, I enjoyed Glass. It wasn't a great film by any means but it was fun to see Samuel L. Jackson ham it up when he wasn't comatose. I've seen much worse Night movies.

Vidiot likes this.
  14. Vidiot

I'm beginning to have a perverse interest in going to see Cats. If I get a free screening, I think I'll do it, provided I have some time in my schedule. I want to see it just to see how bad a film can be in 2019.

I do know some of the words to "Mr. Mistoffelees," so there is that.

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Agree. "Glass" was a substantial improvement on the unintentionally hilarious "Split"!

wayneklein likes this.
  16. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

i thought Split was an excellent film but was a bit disappointed with Glass as it wasn't the end the trilogy deserved. I did enjoy it still.

The one film I was most disappointed with was Hellboy. That was awful. 17% critic score which isn't wrong. I was seeing all this stuff on screen but never did I feel engaged or care and it didn't feel like I was watching a film even, so poorly written and directed.

i think the director should stick to tv work where he has done good stuff but in terms of film it is looking like the Descent was the exception to the rule rather than an indication of a great new talent.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. SandAndGlass

All three prequels were a LOT worse than numbers VII and VIII.

I'm seeing it because I want to see it end for myself.

After that, I am NEVER going to another Star Wars movie, EVER!

18. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I went to see it just to finish off the trilogy, but I absolutely adored it. I posted about it in the Star Wars IX Spoilers thread because I didn’t know where else to put it.

STAR WARS: "Rise of Skywalker" **SPOILERS**

I was prepared to be bored, but the new characters finally came to life for me in this final installment of the story. I was blubbering a bit!

kouzie and SandAndGlass like this.
  19. SandAndGlass

I had not intention of going, right from the beginning. But I also that this perverse interest in seeing how really bad that made this movie (an I'm expecting the very worst).

I have a Mr. Mistoffelees story.

Back around 2000, I was with a little girl and her mother at a Comp U.S.A. store. I had introduced this 5-year old to the video and she loved it. She would go around singing the songs and we would sing them back and forth.

We were waiting in line to check out and she starts singing something from the video and I start singing something back.

The another customer that was waiting in line commented that Mr. Mistoffelees was the best song in the play, and he starts singing it. Then I join in and then two other people joined it with us.

So here are four people, who are in line at this computer store and we are all singing Mr. Mistoffelees.

Amusing, but it was one of those things where you had to be there.

Simon A, marmalade166 and Vidiot like this.
  20. Vidiot

It is absolutely the best song in the entire play. I haven't made up my mind if I could stand to see the film or not. That would be an awful chore to endure.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. SandAndGlass

Amazing that you got in to see it at the very beginning of its run.

I would have thought that you would have to camp out, in order to get tickets/seats?

22. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I bought a ticket early yesterday morning for a 9:30 am showing today. At the time I bought the ticket, there were maybe 3 or 4 other seats taken. When I got there today, the small theater was very full but not sold out. Later showings at the same theater (after noon), in larger theaters, were sold out when I checked early this morning.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Twitter is increasingly full of stories of people getting super high and seeing Cats. We may have a new Mamma Mia on our hands.

Spencer R, sunspot42 and SandAndGlass like this.
  24. SandAndGlass

I guess that many people see cats anyway when they get super high.

25. AirJordanFan93

Cats is going to be in the same vein as things like Rocky Horror or The Room where people go to those midnight screenings and it just turns into a huge event where people dress up and end up reciting quotes and singing the songs during the screening.

Spencer R, yamfox and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.