Catching up. Are digital discs finally dead?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by KeithH, May 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Well many of us have large CD collections already. So it might be time to sit back and play some of those discs and enjoy them without craving more discs. I'm sure the OP has a large collection of great ones as well.

And if one does not have a large CD collection and wants one, then the world is your oyster with $2.00 CDs in MN condition getting quite common.

It's all good imo.

3. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Streaming music has killed off the CD market.

JustGotPaid and Dave like this.
  4. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I don't actually listen to my cd's

5. Alvinnir

Alvinnir Well-Known Member

Agree that streaming has all but killed the cd market. How many times have we all bought a cd only to find it doesn't sound very good. I find that the mastering/recording has more to do with sound than the format. With Tidal streaming, I have access to much music that has been remastered. Sometimes this is better sounding than a cd release I bought because the remastering was done with more attention to sound or gone through the MQA process. For the cost of one CD I have access to millions of titles and can hear what they sound like. Takes the risk out of a purchase of a CD. Life is too short to listen to bad sounding music!

quicksrt likes this.
  6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Not only these streaming services are competing for having the best my inclusive library, but finally sound quality is marketed hard and being pushed up front with higher end tiers.

I'm getting tempted to try the five months of Tidal for $5 just to see what the musical content might be like. Watch me get hooked and never play my CDs or vinyl again. (joke)

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

But you will at some point listen to a few of them. Maybe when you suspect the high-end of Tidal is lacking just that something for an album, and you'll want to compare with a gold disc or an original wonderful forum approved disc, you'll play your CDs and hear what you've been missing. You might feel scammed. LOL

Audiowannabee likes this.
  8. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Duttonvocalion is continuing to pump out lots of Cd/sacd discs...many in quad

ispace likes this.
  9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It's been dying a slow 15 or 20 year death now. But streaming might be that final nail in the coffin.

I do need to get out today and comb the thrift store bins. This time until Jan. 1st are traditionally the best weeks for thrift store finds. I still like the 2-for-$1.00 deal at one my my stores.

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The Four Channel / Quad / 4.0 angle will keep them going for as long as they can get decent titles. They are serving an undeserved nitch market that is thirsty for that kind of surround media. And they have little to no competition.

11. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Well some if the majors r putting out sets...unfortunately they're big expensive box sets ex: pink floyd tly ...beatles abbey road etc...too deep for my pockets...$100-400 very expensive boxsets i can't afford n even if it weren't for $$$ I'd just NEVER would spend $400 for a box of music...just crazy prices

12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Perhaps in the post-streaming Music Dystopian period

13. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

14. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

I'm waiting on Data Play discs... oh and Laserdisc.

[​IMG]

ZippyPippy likes this.
  15. Zach_

Zach_ Forum Resident

It's no longer a given that your new car will come with a CD player. That has to hurt sales. And vinyl actually seems to have a rosier outlook. At least the hipsters seem to be buying into the format. It's a lot cheaper to buy a record player and some vinyl of your favorite pop artist's latest release at Urban Outfitters than it is to get set up to play SACD.

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Cars dropping CD players so quickly was an over-reaction imo. It did speed up the decline of the format. I’m not sure CDs going out so quickly a was good thing.

17. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

No CD player really grinds my gears... I think I'll buy an ex-works rally car for my next purchase :D Ignition, indicators, fire extinguisher, wash/wipe, horn. What else does one need with a nice engine/exhaust note (annoying I know)? :uhhuh:

John B Good likes this.
  18. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Yeah, no disrespect intended but this entire thread is confusing to say the least. Virtually every album I want to buy, if I search for it online, I can almost always buy it on either CD or vinyl.

And there is no need for anyone to point out exceptions. I know there are many of them. CD is not a burgeoning product the way it ised to be. Still far from dead though. To conclude it is dead I can only imagine someone did a very, very unthorough search.

Man at C&A and showtaper like this.
  19. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Convenience is king and less is more, but there is always a tradeoff. Streaming only listeners are shocked when they hear the same music on a highend, traditional system. As amazed as they are, the shock wears off and it is back to the convenience of streaming on the move.

20. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

They used those discs in Mission Impossible. They self distruct after 20 seconds.

Paul_s likes this.
  21. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I've been going backwards. Most of the vintage and early CDs I wanted, I've found. Lately I've been buying cheap but carefully mastered box sets from the dawn of that era. Lou Reeds Between Thought and Expression, Clash On Broadway, Journey Time3, ELO Afterglow... These box sets have little value on the secondary market but with names like Ludwig and Anesini in the credits you can't go wring for 8-12 dollars.

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I like the remastered CDs that cane along after the first original wave of CDs, because I want a thick fancy booklet, at least one or two bonus tracks, Near mint or unposted condition and a $1.00 to $2.00 price tag. I always find a few I want and a few I can sell for $5 to $6 at least.

I think the great albums on CD with nice sound and deluxe packaging will always have a market and a buyer.
    Think Bowie Rykos, and those late Replacements remasters w/ bonus tracks.

Those buyers will start to pay more as time goes by and certain titles do not appear on the market like they once did. It’s an era of lower value expectations, and a tough retail environment. But if you can keep your stock rent free like on a shelf in the bedroom closet, there is money to be made still, and I think it will continue. Second Spin and others getting out of the CD racket is good news fir the smaller low volume seller.

23. Ital Galore

Ital Galore Forum Resident

Dave likes this.
  24. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

So if everyone is supposedly dumping their CD collections, why is it I can only find mostly undesirable tiles and junk at thrift and used CD stores?

It think a lot of people are still reluctant to dump "the choice stuff."

Man at C&A, craig4755, Dave and 2 others like this.
  25. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

Are vinyl discs dead?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.