Predicting the Movie Hits & Bombs of 2020

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Yeah, such b.s. I've had new cars go dead in 3 weeks just because the battery seeps away. When months go by, the fuel lines get clogged, the transmission lube gets all gummy, joints start rusting... it ain't gonna be pretty. With fresh fuel, a charged battery, and a lube job, it "might" work, provided the belts hold up and all that. But sitting in a barn? Naaaaaaa.

2. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Fuel is an organic substance and it goes bad, Even with a fuel stabilizer, it will still go bad after several months.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Vidiot

Yeah, what was explained to me once by a mechanic is that it starts separating into different parts, to the point where the oil part turns into goo, and the water separates as actual water. I don't think this is avoidable with a car or truck that just sits in one place without moving for months or years.

SandAndGlass and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. drh

drh Talking Machine

...and it never runs out of gas.

5. townsend

townsend Senior Member

RhodyDave125 likes this.
  6. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Streetwalkin' Cheetah

90% are sequels or remakes. Very little originality. I might see 3-4 of the others.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Vidiot

Original films do exist, but the big studio blockbusters tend to dominate the marketplace. That's been true for quite a long time now.

longdist01 and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I agree it's not a new phenomena, in the 80's top box office poll I posted, 10 out of 25 of the biggest movies were sequels.

Matthew Tate and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. Vidiot

Yeah, Lucas and Spielberg have admitted on several occasions how they are horrified that they, in effect, started this whole downward spiral with summer action films and blockbusters and sequels and so on. They get their role in forever changing Hollywood in moving away from smaller human dramas and standalone films.

On the 20th Anniversary of Jaws, Spielberg was asked about how the film changed filmmaking and if he regretted it, and he said he did on some levels, but he also said that if he hadn't've done it, somebody else would have. So he has a point.

eddiel, SandAndGlass and Deuce66 like this.
  10. SandAndGlass

I don't necessarily mind a sequel, as long as it is a good sequel and continues with the previous movie.

It is just that we have been subjected to so many awful sequels that I get to the point that I don't want to see another one.

I think that I prefer movies that were taken from original novels that are several books in length, telling the story.

Examples are; L.O.T.R., Harry Potter, the Twilight Saga and Hunger Games.

We need more movies like these.

I also liked the The Divergent Series movies a lot, though I have not read the books, but I have intentions of doing so.

Deuce66 likes this.
  11. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

You typed the post I was going to type after I read that Fantasy Island is being rebooted. Who on earth was crying for that? I watched it when I was ten because we didn’t have DVD players or the Internet then, and choices were limited, but even then I knew it was awful.

12. SandAndGlass

Consider yourself lucky, when I was ten, we had Irwin Allen science fiction TV shows.

[​IMG]

They were well thought out, conceptually speaking. The execution was another thing altogether different.

[​IMG]

longdist01 likes this.
  13. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

The original films seem to be coming from countries other than the US of A like the Korean movie "Parasite."

14. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I saw a trailer for Fantasy Island today. It looks like they’ve made it into a horror film.

Pass!

15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Sony Pictures gets the first critical/audience bomb of 2020 with The Grudge. With an almost non-existent production budget of $10 million it might actually make a few bucks as long as they didn't go nuts on promotion.

17% RT critics / 20% fans along with an "F" Cinemascore.

Only 20 or so movies have ever received an F CinemaScore; the last was Darren Aronofsky's Mother! in 2017. Heading into the weekend, most analysts though The Grudge could hit the mid-teens, although Sony was more conservative in suggesting $9 million.

Internationally, The Grudge started off with $5.8 million from 29 markets for a global start of $17.1 million.

McLover and SandAndGlass like this.
  16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

1917 is off to a solid start in its first full week.

Sam Mendes' 1917 won the Friday box office with a victorious $14 million for a projected $37 million U.S. weekend, well ahead of expectations and one of the best nationwide starts ever for the month of January.

The acclaimed World War I drama, which had been tracking for a $20 million to $25 million weekend, also ends the reign of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, that had topped the charts since blasting off Dec. 20.

First $$ bomb appears to be Underwater.

Sci-fi thriller Underwater, starring Kristen Stewart, is getting lost in its domestic opening after receiving a C CinemaScore and divided reviews. The pic grossed $2.5 million on Friday for a projected $6 million to $7 million launch, a worrisome start for a movie that cost $50 million to make before marketing.

SandAndGlass and Stormrider77 like this.
  17. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Richard Jewel is a gem of a movie and a highlight of Clint Eastwood's long and storied film career.
    Many mainstream critics seem bound and determined to undermine its success for some reason.

18. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

If 1917 makes a lot of money, expect a sequel 1918 and possibly a continuous franchise...1919, 1920, 1921... ;)

19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Critics seem to like it 74% - 96% from people who've seen it, I don't think anyone was expecting this to be massive at the box office. $23.9 million earned so far worldwide on a production budget of $45 million. It's a financial flop for sure. I think the subject matter is of limited appeal to mass audiences.

Lightworker likes this.
  20. Also, releasing such a downer of a movie during the leadup to Xmas probably wasn't the smart play.

21. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

A different title and a different release date (probably earlier, or else hold it to Feb) would have been better.

SandAndGlass and Lightworker like this.
  22. Lightworker

Have you actually seen it? I don't consider it a "downer" like Million Dollar Baby.
    The ending actually was anything but mawkish or downbeat to me.

23. Lightworker

Mass audiences are not known for their 'discerning tastes' in cinema. Isn't the mean age of theatrical moviegoers in the U.S. appox. 15 years old?

24. SandAndGlass

Seem that Ms. Stewart didn't learn from her previous movie.

[​IMG]

Perhaps the investors will wise up? Still looks like she is still a bit "underwater" for the follow-up publicity of the film.

[​IMG]

Of course, age does catch up on all of us. Here is a "before" age and short hair shot as a leading lady.

[​IMG]

25. Vidiot

Variety has a terrific piece on their predictions for the hits and bombs of 2020...

Box Office Predictions for 2020: From Surefire Hits to Potential Busts

The hits:
    No Time to Die
    Black Widow
    Fast & Furious 9
    Wonder Woman 1984

The medium-sized moneymakers:
    Onward
    Top Gun: Maverick
    In the Heights
    Tenet
    Venom 2

Question Marks:
    Ghostbusters: Afterlife
    Morbius
    Many Saints of Newark
    Dune
    West Side Story

Possible Bombs:
    Dolittle
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    My Spy
    The New Mutants
    Godzilla vs. Kong
    The Last Duel

Very interesting article, and I find it hard to disagree with any of their conclusions. I would be shock if any of their predicted duds do well -- they look awful from here (so far).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.