The Witcher

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Dec 21, 2019.

1. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

Premiered tonight on Netflix. The performances by the actors (especially Henry Cavill) hasn't exactly impressed me so far.

Nice looking, handsome production though.

alexpop likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Think Cavill is waiting to be offered the James Bond role.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Is this a movie or series?

4. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

8 episode series. Also a book and video game.

5. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Made it through 15 minutes of the first episode .... utter crap.

6. alexpop

Witcher ?
    Not sure about Cavill‘s wig( Lord Of The Rings esqe). Don’t think he’s asserted himself in any role yet with aplomb.
    He comes across really well on talk shows Graham Norton etc ..though.

7. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Same. Had really high expectations after reading the reviews (I haven't read the books). Cavill's character seems to have no charisma whatsoever. The script is poor too, scattered with modern phrases ("just saying"). Game of Thrones it definitely isn't.

8. alexpop

Sheesh ..Game Of Thrones prequel after filming began ..producers pulled the plug, was aborted.

9. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

The first 5 minutes was good. Then it just went flat for me. The colours and production look flat, the actors...flat. As mentioned already reverse anachronisms (if that exists). The word 'mutant' really grated.

I fell asleep for 10 minutes or so, I didn't miss anything it seemed. I think the first episode was an hour. It didn't need to be. In it's defence I do have a habit of nodding off on the sofa anytime from 8.45pm to 9.15pm. It has to be really good to stop me taking a nap then. It just happens. It's an age thing I guess. :sigh:

Not given up on it. I'll watch one more maybe two and see how I get on. Compared to other AAA streaming shows I've watched recently this disappointed the most from early on.

However, I wasn't a great GoT fan but I can see how people that enjoyed that might love this.

Old Mac likes this.
  10. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

Awful.

Within the first thirty seconds I felt like I had been dropped in to the middle of a game of Dungeons & Dragons.

unclefred likes this.
  11. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I’ll stick with the game which is fantastic.

12. spacecoyote likes this.
  13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

14. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

30 seconds. 5 min and 15 min ? Wow you guys have some impressive tv watching endurance lol.

Reviewers panning this are completely out to lunch. The first episode is spectacular. Some of the most impressive medieval battles and violent sword fight scenes ever in a tv series. Geralt‘s wig even looks impressive. PC Gamer has good episode recaps for staying on top of all the action:
    The Witcher episode 1 recap: Geralt of Rivia's Netflix debut is a violent delight | PC Gamer

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    GodShifter, BeatleJWOL and Morpheus like this.
  15. spacecoyote

I went back and watched the entirety of the first episode, and I’d still call it hot garbage.

If my leg were caught in a bear trap and I was forced to watch this show, I would sit there and watch it, and let myself bleed out, all the while hoping that the delirium of sweet relief would bring about hallucinations more pleasurable than this show.

16. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Looks like he has a different wig in episode 2, more blonde. I didn't fall asleep this time but it's still no thrill ride so far.

17. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Darren from Entertainment Weekly gave it an F after watching the first 30 minutes and them skipped ahead to the 5th episode. Do you regularly make choices of what shows to watch from reviewers who don’t even watch the show they’re reviewing lol?

GodShifter, Mazzy and Quincy like this.
  18. spacecoyote

If you took a sip of milk and it turned out to be sour would you keep drinking it?

unclefred, Scott222C, Gumboo and 2 others like this.
  19. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

I dismissed it based on the preview.

unclefred likes this.
  20. I do not. Thought it was interesting :tiphat:

Brenald79 likes this.
  21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Whoa lots of sex and nudity by ep5. More than GoT.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  22. wayneklein

Well, I decorated the tree while watching this (it passed the time) and it's rather campy in later episodes like watching really bad episodes of "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys" but it's entertaining in its own awful way.

23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Well he’s getting paid to watch and review the show.

Mazzy and wayneklein like this.
  24. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Up to episode 4. The episodes really need trimming down to around 45 minutes imo. It's got a little better but nothing amazing. It took to episode 3 for me to realise that everything has been jumbled up time wise. Not done very well on that front as no one ages in this universe it seems.

The big issue is that the most dull parts are the Witcher parts.

wayneklein likes this.
  25. wayneklein

Yeah providing a context for that would have made the process less frustrating for me as a viewer.

daglesj likes this.