Which Star Wars trilogy was better: Prequels or Sequels?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by twicks, Dec 23, 2019.

1. twicks

twicks Forum Resident Thread Starter

Obviously the original trilogy can't be touched for imagination or cultural impact...but for those of you who have seen "Rise of Skywalker," which do you prefer?

Keith V likes this.
  2. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Sorry, I voted “sequels” before noticing that this was only for Skywalker watchers.

David Campbell and twicks like this.
  3. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

The prequels were basically one man's (George Lucas) vision. It had clumsy dialogue and characters, and in retrospect it relied too much on CGI. But it did do cutting-edge effects that we never saw before, did world building, and tried to tell a unified story over three chapters. I like the daring, even if the execution leaves much to be critized.

On the other hand, the sequels feel too corporate and safe. At their worst, they are a nostalgia machine rather than offering something new and interesting. Not really any special effects we haven't seen before. The Last Jedi did try to subvert our expectations, but that only made the sequel trilogy feel disjointed.

It's almost a tie for me, between the prequels and sequels, but I'd have to vote for the prequels in this poll.

My friend was sending me articles about how Rise of Skywalker was getting bad reviews. I pointed out that he's complained loudly about every Star Wars movie since the first prequel, yet still goes to see all of them.

4. twicks

twicks Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just assumed people would wanna wait until they finished this trilogy out, but by all means, vote away!

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  5. aficionaudio

aficionaudio Forum Resident

The sequels, hands-down. Both trilogies before and after the original trilogy equally have their issues, but the prequels suck so much worse. If you're a Star Wars fan, please watch this video. Marcus always analyzes films honestly with respect for the medium, and I cannot recommend his channel enough.

6. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Sequels. No question. (Sorry, George.)

David Campbell likes this.
  7. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I vote sequels without yet seeing Skywalker.
    Force Awakens
    was a 7/10 whilst Jedi gets a generous 5/10.
    The latest could be the worst of the 9 and still the prequels would still be the nadir.

8. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

None of the above.

9. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

You like/dislike them equally?

10. audiomixer

Dislike them equally. They can’t compare at all to the originals. I can’t even stand to watch bits and pieces of them.

11. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Actually, at a certain point, the movies managed to build an anger inside me that very few movies ever has been able to create. It is the same kind of anger that Star Trek Generations created or Batman & Robin.

audiodefiled, Spitfire and rnranimal like this.
  12. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

Same. I'm itching to buy the unmolested original trilogy Laserdiscs.

13. audiomixer

I have the big, black laserdisc box set!

14. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

15. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Nothing will ever come close to the tone-deafness, inhumanity and sheer pointlessness of the three prequels.

16. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

The prequels were stilted, the acting from the lead characters was just bad. They were big money makers but everyone involved should feel shame .

17. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Surprising that the sequels are favored by most. They pale in comparison to the prequels, which weren’t great either.

18. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

The sequel trilogy by a HUGE margin.

I tried to re-watch Attack Of The Clones when Disney+ launched; I got as far as "Annniiieeeeee!!!!!" and had to switch off.

(Shudder)

Lee Davis, Ghostworld and bru87tr like this.
  19. Antmanbee

Antmanbee Mental Toss Flycoon

I saw The Force Awakens and Rogue. That's quite enough for me. So bad!
    The original Star Wars was a revelation in 1977, and Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi worthy sequels to conclude the story. That's where it should have ended.
    I went to see Phantom Mess at the cinema, and it's one of a very few films I've come close to walking out of. It was abysmal. The next two I saw on TV, and they get shown quite a lot here on ITV.

As a teenager in the 70s, the original three films remain enjoyable and have a nostalgia and period charm that none of the others have at all.

20. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Sequels. All the movies in both trilogies were flawed at best, but overall I thought the sequels had higher highs and better characters. I thought the first two sequels were both good movies in general, but only thought the third prequel was good. I don’t hate episodes I, II, or IX, but I wouldn’t describe them as good movies. I thought the most recent film was the most frustrating of all of them, but that wasn’t quite enough to tip the scale in the prequels’ favor for me.

Lars Medley likes this.
  21. Rogue One for the win.

22. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

The one that doesn't have Jar Jar Binks of the planet Naboo.

23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The Prequels are unwatchable to me. Just horrible, horrible filmmaking.

"Last Jedi" is damn close but at least feature Mark Hamill.

I liked "Force Awakens" and "Rise."

Sequels win.

SBurke, trumpet sounds and coffeetime like this.
  24. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

The action sequences were pretty good in the prequels and the story had continuity. Episode III is my third fav SW movie. It was just marred by some really bad acting from the leads and cheesy writing. The sequels lacked a coherent script and I felt no love for the characters due to poor writing.

TrekkiELO and The Hermit like this.
  25. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

Haven't voted. Still debating what's worse. Writer/Director surrounded by people not challenging his vision or at least editing the story. Or a franchise written, meticulously tested to please the fan for maximum $$$