Nagaoka MP-200 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Leonthepro, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic Thread Starter

Anyone else who upgraded their cart to an MP-200? Perhaps from a Nag further down the line, or maybe you have one even higher up.

What are your experiences and thoughts on the cart?

2. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I had the MP110, within a yr bought the MP200....A much more refined sound than the MP110. The crazy thing is the MP200 has gone up about $100 from when I bought mine.......insane!

Leonthepro likes this.
  3. Leonthepro

I bought mine for 300$ from Japan. What was yours?

4. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I'm hoping to buy the MP-200 with the included headshell but they're very expensive to buy and ship to Canada (easily $500 CAD).

5. Leonthepro

6. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I think I paid $265 from LP Gear.......$397 today. Cray-cray!

Leonthepro likes this.
  7. mike.

mike. Forum Resident

Just wanted to chime in here. I was running the Shure M97xE with the LP Gear ViVid Line stylus for a long, long time. Recently upgraded to the Nagaoka MP-200...

The biggest difference so far has been in the bass. Much more controlled and velvety smooth. Very tight. Also, the higher frequencies that simply weren't there with the Shure (even with the LP Gear ViVid Line stylus, a worthwhile upgrade) are now present. Well worth the $350 I paid for it. That's before burn-in...

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  8. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

LP Gear prices are, umm, not that great. Though for some strange reason, Amazon is even worse on mp200 pricing right now (usually isn't).

Still, shopping around, it's not hard to find it for $330-350 USD. Instead, feel bad for the poor Europeans... Naga stuff is usually quite a bit more expensive over there, sad to say. :(

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  9. mike.

mike. Forum Resident

Found mine available in the states on eBay for $350. Can't wait to hear how it opens it. It's brand new right now.

10. Leonthepro

Think thats roughly what I got mine for of a little less maybe. Japanese sellers are the way to go.

11. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

IIRC, break-in should be 30-40 hours, but they already sound good out of the box.

Enjoy, you have a good 'table, it deserves a really good cart to complement it. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  12. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

I used the MP-11 and then upgraded to the MP-200 back in 2012 ($258).

The main differences I hear are much more spatial detail with recorded entities, better depth/more refined sound. To me the MP-11 sounds more bunched up, less refined (but still pleasant for casual listening).

I use a tweaked Music Hall MMF-2.2 and Realistic 42-2101A phono stage with most parts I swapped out.
    I'm finding the cart very sensitive to cartridge positioning (overhang alignment, VTF, VTA, Antiskate, Azimuth).
    When dialed in, the sound quality is addictive... imho.

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  13. Cosmic messenger

Cosmic messenger Active Member

I'm using a nagaoka mp200 on a clearaudio concept and I love it.
    To be honest I tried the mp110 stylus on the mp200 body and was surprised how good that stylus is too

14. brownsugah

brownsugah Forum Resident

I just bought a MP200 stylus as an upgrade to my mp110. So are you all saying that the MP200 stylus with the MP110 body isn’t equal to having the MP200 stylus on the MP200 cartridge? I just can’t seem to come to paying $400 for a cartridge tbh.

15. brownsugah

Also, is there a way to buy the MP150/200 body without the stylus?

16. Slayne

Slayne Proper geezer

its $500 here in sweden...

17. Leonthepro

Correct.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  18. brownsugah

It’s a huge difference?

19. Leonthepro

brownsugah likes this.
  20. brownsugah

So I can hear a difference between the 110 and 150 when on their respective bodies. But not too much of a difference when the 150 is on the 110 body. I can see what you’re saying. I just think $400+ is a bit much for a cartridge. Hopefully there are still good deals on eBay.

21. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Nagaokas are very expensive unfortunately.

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  22. Leonthepro

The 110 sounds better with its own stylus than it does with the better 150.

23. Andrea_Bellucci

Andrea_Bellucci Forum Resident

Hi Guys!

I had a Nagaoka MP 110 for a year and liked it for the price (135€ in Europe).

I also throught of upgrading to a MP 150 or MP 200. But the price for the MP 200 is 475€ here - that's insane!

Fortunatly the AT-VM95ML came out and after some advise here in this forum I got it for 160€. It's fantastic for that price. Here in Europe the Nagaokas are totally overpriced.

There was a guy from Japan who sold the MP 200 for about 225€ on ebay, but that was too risky for me.

Bye Andrea :wave:

bever70 likes this.
  24. brownsugah

Returned MP200 stylus and found a full cartridge on eBay for under $400. It’s set to arrive no later than my birthday, January 17.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  25. Dane Argentini

Dane Argentini Forum Resident

If you find a good price on an MP-150 new or used you can later upgrade the stylus to the MP-200 as they are the same body. I found an MP-200 stylus for $169 on Ebay from Japan but with MP-150's now priced around $310 your right back at the cost of an MP-200 at $420. No bargain any more as prices continue to rise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.