Louisville, Kentucky vinyl and family tourist recs?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by recstar24, Dec 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member Thread Starter

Heading down south this Friday for a little family exploring. Obviously I’ll find time away to hit up any vinyl store recs locals may have! Feel free to throw in anything you think a 7 and 9 year old would enjoy tourist wise as well - we’ve got the Louisville slugger museum as a starting point.

2. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Just a couple of blocks west of the Slugger Museum with the world's largest bat out front is Caufield's Novelty store, which also has a huge bat out front (of the rodent variety!) and I'll bet the kids would dig it. There are quite a few good record stores, two smaller but well curated vinyl focused ones I'd suggest which again are just a block apart are Matt Anthony's and Surface Noise at 536 and 600 Baxter Avenue respectively. You could take Market Street between the two areas and stop at Muth's Candies for yummy treats.

recstar24 likes this.
  3. recstar24

thank you! I should also add im a bourbon fan myself and I’m sure to indulge a bit :)

bobbradley likes this.
  4. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

The bourbon balls at Muth's candies are made exclusively with 100 proof Bottled in Bond Very Old Barton, which can be found at many local retailers hugging the bottom shelf, from where it confidently kicks the butt of bottles costing two or three times as much. Looks like you're in for nice weather, too! Enjoy your visit!

5. recstar24

appreciate the bourbon rec! Keep them coming, and thanks for the good weather!

bobbradley likes this.
  6. bobbradley

bobbradley Well-Known Member

Funhouse records, surface noise, matt Anthony’s, better days, guestroom, underground sounds are all in a five mile radius of one another. You could hit them all... enjoy cheers!

zphage and recstar24 like this.
  7. bobbradley

bobbradley Well-Known Member

P.s Knob Creek single barrel

recstar24 likes this.
  8. recstar24

already a fan :)

bobbradley likes this.
  9. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Many years ago(early 90's) I was in Louisville occasionally, and I seem to remember a record store called EAR X-TASY, or something like that. I bought a sealed copy of McCartney's UNPLUGGED lp, and I still have never opened it. I love the cd.

ear X-tacy - Wikipedia

bobbradley likes this.
  10. EricBanks

EricBanks Well-Known Member

Yes, ear X-tacy was a nice store. It died from neglect years ago. I have relatives in Louisville, and believe me, there's nothing there that you won't find much better versions of in dozens of cities. Those overpriced hipster record stores that are left are horrible with super-snotty clueless "curators" (I hate that word). The only things going on there is Forecastle, Louder than Life and the stupid Derby. Oh, and a bunch of unused, idiotically placed bike lanes the Mayor is fixated on when he's not destroying historical monuments or razing classic buildings.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

recstar24 likes this.
  11. Dellelyday

Dellelyday New Member

I mailed them and they replied to say that, yes it would be back, but they couldnt say when as they had other technical issues to deal with first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.