David Bowie CONVERSATION PIECE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Sep 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

external LG blu ray drive directly into MacBook Air. Don't have access to any computer with an internal drive.

2. AndyP19

AndyP19 Forum Resident

Strange no problem with dbPoweramps when I ripped the set. A very careful wipe or trying another CD drive are always a last resort remedy that has worked for me.

3. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’ve done both with exactly the same errors with both dbpoweramp and XLD. I can’t believe that there are 2 or 3 defective discs in this set when there have been no other reports of defective discs online. So frustrating.

EDIT: disc 5 now successfully ripped with XLD. Now to just try and rip the final 5 tracks on disc 4

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    AndyP19 likes this.
  4. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

It's a miracle. After resetting the drive cache value on XLD I have been able to successfully rip everything by ripping one track at a time.

When I was cleaning the discs under a light I noticed that you can actually see where each track begins and ends on the silver side of the cd (like on a vinyl LP) and I've never seen anything like that on a CD before so it might be that my drives didn't like that and moving between each track was causing errors

AndyP19 likes this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Where was the box set discs manufactured?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  6. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

All it says is “Made in the EU”

7. VinchVolt123

VinchVolt123 I took a look at those hands.

I've definitely found that advantageous when trying to deduce playback errors for CDs on my own computer (and external DVD drive); it's a good way to check if the problem is a dirty/damaged disc, a manufacturing defect, or an issue with the disc drive itself. Glad to hear you got your issue with the CDs resolved.

It's also a nice way to see exactly how tracks are sequenced on a CD, too; I remember noticing that CD copies of The Endless River by Pink Floyd have the 18 tracks sequenced in such close proximity to one another that holding it up to a light makes it appear as if the album only has four very long songs.

dtuck90 likes this.
  8. vlad676

vlad676 Forum Resident

Hi
    I am wondering if someone can analyze Dynamic Range for Space Oddity 2019 album?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  9. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

[​IMG]

vlad676 likes this.
  10. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

For comparison the WG RCA cd
    Analyzed: David Bowie / Space Oddity ------------------
    DR13 -0.07 dB -16.16 dB 5:18 01-Space Oddity
    DR12 -0.59 dB -15.19 dB 6:15 02-Unwashed And Somewhat Slightly Dazed
    DR11 -6.22 dB -19.92 dB 2:37 03-Letter To Hermione
    DR15 -0.26 dB -17.49 dB 9:29 04-Cygnet Committee
    DR13 -0.17 dB -17.73 dB 3:30 05-Janine DR11 -3.86 dB -18.84 dB 3:01 06-An Occasional Dream
    DR11 -2.86 dB -18.79 dB 4:53 07-The Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud
    DR12 -5.35 dB -20.18 dB 3:22 08-God Knows I'm Good
    DR11 -2.48 dB -18.33 dB 7:11 09-Memory Of A Free Festival

Number of tracks: 9 Official DR value: DR12

PhantomStranger and vlad676 like this.
  11. vlad676

vlad676 Forum Resident

Thanks guys, I am not very good in DR data understanding... but it looks to me the original WG RCA version has better values... am I correct?

12. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

You can use this website Album list - Dynamic Range Database to check DR Versions of interested Albums. They do not include every copy available, but most of the Main Releases and Reissues. Keep in mind that DR Numbers are not everything, as Mastering is also vital for SQ, but any DR 7-9 or lower is considered real bad for the Loudness Wars.

vlad676 likes this.
  13. vlad676

vlad676 Forum Resident

Thanks for the DR 7-9 threshold criteria ! Indeed this DR analysis correlate well with my ears after listening both versions :)
    Album details - Dynamic Range Database

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

The album sounds fine to me. The chase for DR numbers isn't the be-all and end-all, not least because there's only one release of the remix........

croquetlawns and EdwinM like this.
  15. Innocent Smith

Innocent Smith Always crashing in the same car

I wrote an article for BOWIE VS. DYLAN about what I expect will come out from the Bowie camp in 2020. Check it out here if you're interested and let me know what you think.

16. vlad676

vlad676 Forum Resident

may be The Next Day Extra on vinyl to stop bootlegging ;-)

For anniversary live album, it would be the full version of BBC Radio 2000 on 3LP.

For Young Americans 45th series I would suggest RSD picture disc to boost the sales (similar to PinUps).

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    croquetlawns likes this.
  17. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Anything but picture discs please ..Young Americans on nice orange rca label vinyl

18. VinchVolt123

VinchVolt123 I took a look at those hands.

Well then you won't like the announcement from a couple Thursdays back..

19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Since I don't do Vinyl, none of them are interesting.

I'd like to see more album celebrations, such as Conversation Piece. However, I'd much prefer them to ramp up releases, at least two a year. The whole "anniversary" thing is a farce that is relevant to marketing departments and few others. I mean, would you not have bought Conversation Piece if it had come out on CD last year?

I also think there are three other priorities:

• Continuation of the career spanning boxes.
    • A Tin Machine box
    • Definitive release of Surround mixes.
    The career boxes just has to conclude, and make a complete set. Otherwise the sets will fall into the sadly common half-assed Bowie release schedules. They've started it, they should see it through.

There is so much Tin Machine material, some significant parts of which has never seen an official release.At least two live shows were recorded in great quality, the demo's of the Tin Machine II sessions are excellent, and Tin Machine II goes for silly money. That doesn't even address B-Sides and the like. There's more than enough material for a dedicated box - so do it!

An amazing amount of Bowie's work has been given the Surround Sound experience over the years. A lot of work is already done. The trouble is, much of it is hard to get now, or at least at a price most would want to pay. So - let's fill the gaps for those albums that do not have a Surround mix, and for those that do, be sure to include them in box sets moving forward.

Conversation Piece was a great start to individual album releases, I hgope they maintain the standard. Put in all the music they have - all the demo's, failed starts, different mixes etc. Make them comprehensive. If they do that, the Bowie estate will be getting plenty of my cash next year.

20. Gavaxeman

Boo.picture discs ...

Not buying 7 inches but I really hope we don’t get albums as pic discs on rerelease..

21. APhillyKid

APhillyKid Forum Resident

Hi
    So tomorrow is the big birthday

in the past there have been releases to tie in
    but i have not heard anything this year
    has anyone?

does the silence mean something big is brewing?

am i just grasping at straws? lol

22. Gavaxeman

Rsd release ChangesNOWBowie , radio session from 1997 on vinyl and cd ..plus some streaming stuff

MGW, pobbard and Curveboy like this.
  23. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

The streaming stuff... it’s being presented as something ‘the kids’ would like. ‘Dropping’ a new song each week. That’s all fine and dandy.
    But realistically how many kids will actually be excited by this? I know DB appeals to all ages (my daughter loves his catalogue as much as I do) which is terrific, but the vast majority of those interested in genuine rarities are going to be of a certain age, and far more likely to want said rarities on a sensible permanent format... As I said above, my daughter for example, 20 years old, streams everything, but I’ve just asked her and she’s not the slightest bit interested in obscure out-takes etc.
    I wonder who Parlophone think their market actually is?

Surferghost, Gavaxeman and Curveboy like this.
  24. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

I'm up for that, though not sure whether it will be CD or vinyl just now (hmmm, both?).

Already downloaded today's new track to Deezer.

25. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’ll probably pick up both as there was no mention of a hi res release in the press release

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.