Barnes & Noble in-store Bl. Fri. music deals?

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Black Elk, Nov 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

I love this forum! I got:
    David Gilmour - Rattle That Lock
    Jimi Hendrix - Machine Gun
    The Eagles - Desperado
    The Who - A Quick One
    Deep Purple -Burn (Rocktober)
    Pink Floyd - Ummagumma, More, Obscured By Clouds, The Final Cut

RubenH and Davidmk5 like this.
  2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Unfortunately I've never heard the CD version so I can't compare the two. The vinyl set is, well, interesting. I've heard many of these tracks on boots and my first impression is that many of these tracks have been through a lot of de-noise processing and editing. They're not arranged chronologically which is a bit disappointing - there's a sense of progression needed. The source tapes for some of these seem to be of pretty poor quality. I don't expect that this vinyl set sounds much better than the equivalent CDs. Over all, there's a few tracks that impress with dynamic, lively performances, but many of them just don't really "jump" out of the speakers at you. Many don't sound appreciably different from the studio versions (such as "Come On"), which makes me wonder if sometimes the original recordings were used instead of a live or re-recorded performance. The vocal performances are obviously different, but the band often doesn't sound appreciably different. In conclusion, to have obtained this at a 50% discount is no bad thing but it's no sonic masterpiece.

RubenH and Davidmk5 like this.
  3. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

Are they marked down even if not stickers? I checked a local branch today and the woman said only the stickered titles were marked down. I thought to ask her to double check but she seems petty annoyed and then every time I took an LP out of the ‘special section’ the alarm went off. Honestly not much there among the titles people were discussing but I may go back if more were actually discounted. Does it vary store by store?

I grabbed Aimee Mann’s Mental Illness. Fell in love with this when it came out. Glad to have the LP for $11. Colored LP and die cut sleeve are cute for the price, probably ironic? Not super into the art but if any of you are out and come across it I recommend you pick it up. Superb little acoustic-y record with dark lyrics. Very Gillian Welch/Cat Power but still Aimee (who I know was killing it when they wer. It’s like she recognized she didn’t have to commit to her style of pop songs and went off the deep end.

4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Only the stickered LPs are discounted although I think one member here managed to acquire a non-stickered LP which rang up 50% off. The titles are apparently selected at the store by store management, there's not necessarily consistency in which titles are selected. I think they are going through and discounting the items that have been there the longest without selling.

shnaggletooth likes this.
  5. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification cause I wondered what others were seeing across the county. The website seems to be a whole different beast.

I asked specifically if it was just the stickered titles and the women said yes very sternly. Then I asked if there was any rhyme or reason to what was marked down and she said no in a way that let me know that she’d both been working too much during the holiday and that I shouldn’t ask any more questions. I wasn’t about to start asking her to scan U2 albums to see if they came up $$$. This seems to jive with your take on the process.

dkmonroe likes this.
  6. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

So will they stop selling LPs? I remember about 10 years ago they stopped selling LPs and the clearance prices went down to $2.

In August 2019, Elliott Management Corporation acquired the company.

Activist hedge fund Elliot Management Corporation agreed to purchase Barnes & Noble for $683 million (including debt), taking the brand private. Elliot Management already owns a U.K. bookseller, Waterstones.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  7. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Thanks for posting that Photo , been wanting a copy of Rogue one on vinyl and i was already heading to B & N tonight :edthumbs:

Ended up being almost and $80 trip but some good vinyl Deals for sure & i could have bought more .............. Thanks to everyone for the heads up on the sale & what you got :targettiphat:

I got

Rogue one - soundtrack
    Tomb Raider - soundtrack ( B & N exclusive)
    Les paul - 2-lp compilation B & N exc.
    CHVRCHES - latest album
    Cheap trick - woke up with a monster (for a friend as i have it )

and a taylor swift calendar also 50% off :winkgrin:

SJP likes this.
  8. davers

davers Forum Resident

I'm fortunate to live near a B&N that stocks a relatively large music section, including box sets. I scored the Bowie 1977-1982 vinyl box plus a couple of individual lps (Roxy Music Avalon and Rush Signals).

It was also nice to grab a handful of CDs at 30% off while I was there. The clerk mentioned that the vinyl sale goes through April, while the CD sale is only for a few days (maybe until New Years Day?).

dee and Davidmk5 like this.
  9. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

There is a master list of sale items as confirmed by another poster. The Nick Cave album I picked up didn’t have a sticker but it scanned. I knew it would because of another poster here. On the other hand, I knew the new Springsteen wasn’t as I tried at one store where it wasn’t stickered. Went back to where it was stickered and they honored the price.

dee and dkmonroe like this.
  10. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

The Bowie box was half off?? I saw it at the bigger store but it wasn’t marked

11. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

FWIW I asked this question of the store manager who mentioned that they haven't finished putting stickers on the albums. He mentioned that they're marking down albums that have sat unsold for over a year because, unlike the book industry, there is no way to remainder unsold titles back to the labels (true statements for both books and music). This tells me that they'll be carrying less back catalog going forward.

dee, PhantomStranger and hutlock like this.
  12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I had actually gone to two B&N's yesterday and what I had seen as 50% off were surprisingly consistent (plus what I've seen posted here, so far).

If this is local manager's discretion then they must all be connected to a hive mind of some kind. Although is could just be that the unsold inventory isn't as disparate by location as I'd like to think it is.

My local B&N's have been slowing shrinking their vinyl inventory over the last two years or so. Perhaps a failed experiment on their part.

dee likes this.
  13. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

The same has occurred with their in store book inventory as well. Take a look at any long term, best selling author (Stephen King, Tom Clancy & offshoots, etc.) and you’ll see fewer and fewer of their older titles. If an older title wasn’t made into a movie, the chances of it being in stock are much lower.

14. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Went to my store this morn to check out the sale and none of the vinyl was marked and there wasn't a separate 50% off section either. They did have a sign up for the 30% off cd sale though.

15. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Small selection of LPs (maybe 300) at the B&N I visited and only about 10% of the LPs were discounted 50%.

Bought; Amie Mann : Mental Illiness & Case/Lang/Vier LPs. (both of these LPs looked they had been in the bins for a long time)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  16. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Picked up...…..Nice Haul!!

McCartney/ Flowers in the Dirt 2 lp set
    Best of Booker T/Friday Music lp
    Cars/Heartbeat City 2 lp colored
    Cars/Shake It Up 2 lp colored
    David Bowie/Scary Monsters lp
    Pink Floyd/Dark Side of Moon lp
    Air/Moon Safari
    Graham Nash/This Path Tonight SIGNED COPY
    Jimi Hendrix/Both Side of the Sky 2 lp
    Joni Mitchell/Court and Spark Embossed cover Chris Bellman
    ZZ Top/ First Album
    Roxy Music/Avalon

Total......159.84

Kyhl, RubenH, Davidmk5 and 2 others like this.
  17. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

can confirm the bowie a new career a new town box set is half off as well, got one for $125 :goodie:
    says one other location has Who can i Be now, might see if thats half off too since its a year older than this.

I'm spending entirely too much money on this sale! now i have to return what are dupes from the box set i got

dee, slashdot87 and superstar19 like this.
  18. davers

davers Forum Resident

Yes, A New Career... was $125 after the discount. Ironically after holding out for a long time I finally purchased the Loving The Alien box just prior to the sale. It's still sealed so I'm going to see if I can return and repurchase it at the 50% discount as well. The manager told me to bring it in and he'll give it a try. Stay tuned!

Edit: I just saw your post above...congrats on snagging a great deal!

19. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

The alien was half off too? Oh man I might have to bite I saw that in store too

20. davers

davers Forum Resident

Not sure...the manager told me to bring my sealed copy in and he'll check, which I'll do sometime today.

21. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

How long is this sale supposed to last?

22. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

...the biggest deals may be on those massive Bowie boxes -- "A New Career in a New Town" and "Who Can I Be Now" are both 50% off. With a membership, you can get them each for about $115, as opposed to the list price of $250...

23. BigDave

BigDave Forum Resident

I went a little crazy with the sale as I've gotten into vinyl for the first time this year.

In total, I went to 7 different locations to get these the last couple days. Most of them have a lot of overlap in terms of selection, but there are definitely some differences as you'll see by what I picked up.

Titles that I picked up that I saw at multiple locations
    Ryan Adams & The Cardinals: Cold Roses
    Adele: 19
    Beck: Modern Guilt
    David Bowie: The Man Who Sold The World
    Leonard: Cohen: You Want It Darker
    Crosby, Stills & Nash: Crosby, Stills & Nash
    Marvin Gaye: Here, My Dear
    Michael Giacchino: Rogue One - A Star Wars Story
    Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings: Soul of a Woman
    Aimee Mann: Mental Illness
    Lou Reed: Berlin
    A Tribe Called Quest: We Got It From Here... Thank You 4 Your Service

Titles that I only saw at one location (it's possible some of these were at other locations I went to, but not in the designated 50% section)
    Air: Moon Safari
    The Beach Boys: The Smile Sessions
    Andrew Bird: Armchair Apocrypha
    David Bowie: Stage
    Neko Case: The Tigers Have Spoken
    Chic: Risque
    Bill Conti: Rocky
    First Aid Kit: Stay Gold
    FKA twigs: LP1
    Serge Gainsbourg: Histoire De Melody Nelson
    Elton John: Tumbleweed Connection
    The Meat Puppets: The Meat Puppets II
    Bruce Springsteen: We Shall Overcome - The Seeger Sessions
    Tom Waits: Real Gone
    Gillian Welch: The Harrow & The Harvest
    The White Stripes: Get Behind Me Satan
    The Who: Live At Leeds
    Thom Yorke: The Eraser
    Various Artists: Rushmore soundtrack

Titles that were stickered at 50%, but did not ring up that way (but they still gave me at 50% off)
    Kendrick Lamar: Untitled Unmastered
    The Raconteurs: Consolers of the Lonely
    Vampire Weekend: Vampire Weekend

There was definitely some more I could have picked up, in some cases they were too beat up or I just wasn't sure I wanted it at the moment.

I may check in on my local one once a week or so, but otherwise should be done unless they move to an even bigger discount.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  24. slashdot87

slashdot87 Forum Resident

I love these sales and hate them at the same time. It's like getting a moth to go to the light. Went a little crazy too...

Kyhl, Tjazz, Gaslight and 2 others like this.
  25. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

I’m sitting today looking at all I’ve bought thinking I don’t have room for all this!
    I’m so weak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.