Recordshops in New York (Manhattan)

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by drum_cas, Nov 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello there,

This Christmas my family and I will be visiting New York. Really looking forward to this! Beside the tourist-must-go-spots, I would like to browse in some record stores. In the thread about the New York Meetup, there were soms shops mentioned, but also that some of them are already closed.
    My question; what stores are left in Manhattan? Which would be interesting for someone with a taste for progrock and Beatles? We stay in a hotel near Times Square, so in that neighbourhood would be great!

Greetz,
    Cas

2. Not all that many left. Some good new ones in Brooklyn so be familiar with the subway. In Manhattan, I did really like Downtown Music Gallery and also the store near NYU (can't remember the name just now).

drum_cas likes this.
  3. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

There are too many to list. My two cents is to search on Google maps and avoid stores with less than 4.5 rating.. Those tend to be overpriced..

drum_cas likes this.
  4. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Lots of threads on this subject:

Best record stores in New York City?

NYC(and boroughs) Record Stores

New York and Boston Record Store Recommendations

Record Store In New York

I don't know how much you're going to find to your liking in that area. Most of the better stores (for rock) seem to be in the East Village or Brooklyn.

There's a record store in the Times Square subway station, but I think they specialize in dance and Latin music. The Jazz Record Center on 26th Street is supposed to be awesome, but I've never been there.

drum_cas likes this.
  5. drum_cas

Thanks all!

6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Have a wonderful time in my old hometown!

drum_cas likes this.
  7. drum_cas

uzn007 likes this.
  8. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

No prob. As with many websites, I often find it easier to go to Google and search rather than using the built-in search engine. If you add "site:stevehoffman.tv" to your google search, it will restrict results to this website only.

zphage and drum_cas like this.
  9. drum_cas

So, in 4 hours my flight takes off and in another 8 hours I'll be in New York! A familydream come true, christmasnuts that we are. Thanks again for the info, I'll let you know which ones I was able to visit!
    Greetz, Cas

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  10. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I'd run out of money in '80 in NYC at Disc-O-Mat, Downstairs Records in the subway arcade at 6th and 42nd, Jimmy's Music World $1 store, Record Hunter, Golden Disc at Bleeker and 6th. E.J. Korvettes for $1.99 albums.....to name a few.

uzn007 and drum_cas like this.
  11. drum_cas

Just visited Downstairs Record, cool shop, noticed a box of Miles Davids but resisted till now......

12. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Academy Records is on 18th or 19th street right by Union Square (which should have a nice range of holiday pop-up shops right now). Check them out.

drum_cas likes this.
  13. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

Welcome to New York and fully expect that you will have a wonderful stay. Don’t know how much stuff will be open on Christmas Day, um other than Chinese restaurants, but Central Park is open always. I think the pop up Holiday shops at Union Square are today, on Christmas Day, might already be in tear down mode and are not open and will soon be gone. Stuff happens fast in this town.

Have a great time in a great city.

drum_cas and uzn007 like this.
  14. drum_cas

Strolled thru the park, visited Imagine and Dakota, had breakfast at a diner, tonight Radio City with the Rockettes, my family and I are having the time of out lives!

uzn007 and AlmanacZinger like this.
  15. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Take a walk to Carnegie Hall and check out Central Park from there if you can. I think the Alice statue is near by that part. The Natural History Museum is the best spot in town (now that CBGBs is gone) but it is a time eater.

drum_cas likes this.
  16. enginedr

enginedr Its all good

Academy Records 415 east 12th street & A1 Records 439 east 6th street in the east village . They are in walking distance of each other

uzn007 and drum_cas like this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member

Does A1 have used CDs? Never heard of that store before.

18. enginedr

enginedr Its all good

A1 and Academy in the east village only have vinyl

uzn007, drum_cas and George P like this.
  19. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I thought Downstairs went under decades ago. Junior Vasquez (Ron at the time) ran the 12" department. All the old Italians buying the doo-wop in the back room and Ron was blasting extended Donna Summer 12"ers in the front.....1979 was a crazy year. Farfels' 45rpm room downstairs in the Village was amazing....a quick trip over to Tower and Jerry Ohlinger's movie store and I'd be broke by 4 P.M..

drum_cas and George P like this.
  20. George P

George P Notable Member

Great memories...I would browse at Tower (the room Lincoln Center was a serenity haven for me) and buy at JandR.

drum_cas likes this.
  21. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

And the pizza at that famous place on 6th up from Bleeker across from legendary hoop court that I saw "The Destroyer" go nuclear dropping from all over in '74......the greatest ball player I've ever seen. Wish I saw him uptown at Rucker.

22. drum_cas

So yesterday I went to A1 and Academy. Great experience to see a shop with so much hiphop and house related music. Totally not my genre but always amazing to see how much music is out there. My wife overheard 2 other women, whilst sitting in the chairs outside A1, also waiting for their husband, saying: as if we don't have any records at home....These women were about in their 60's so she got a glimpse of what it will be 20 years from now!
    Got me Yes - Tormato, Bozz Scags - down two then left, Men at work - business as usual and Dire Straits - S/T.
    Now off to skating in the park!

Thanks all for your recommandations!!!!!!

uzn007 and George P like this.
  23. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Went in September and was saying it would be nice to come around Xmas time. Lucky you!

drum_cas likes this.
  24. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Yes Tormato was such a bargain-binner Jimmy's Music World $1 store on 5th had a thousand copies at 49 cents and it still sat. Just, think, all those $1 or less cut-outs by the thousands are gold these days.

drum_cas likes this.
  25. drum_cas

And wow! From a streetvender, George Harrison, All things must pass, no scratches, but of old dust, original poster. Happy me!
    Today I'll be heading back home, it's been a great experience being in New York, and may I say, also because of your info!

enginedr, uzn007 and George P like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.