Recordshops in New York (Manhattan)

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by drum_cas, Nov 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

That sounds like a quintessentially New York experience. Do you remember where the guy was? Was it like a flea market or just one guy set up somewhere?

Safe travels.

2. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks!
    This guy was set up on the corner of Broadway and Houston. Got a great story too about how he went to the concert for Bangladesh.

uzn007 likes this.
  3. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Yikes. All Things Must Pass in '19. Beatles Christmas Album stacked in 25 count unopened boxes at Beatlefest '74 NYC at $20 each. Beatles Fan Club remains on 2 tables.

drum_cas likes this.
  4. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Just got back myself from 4 days in Manhattan and I used this thread and others to get some much needed tips. Didn't end up getting away to shop as much as I had hoped, but I did hit Jazz Record Center, Stranded, A1 and Academy.

For anyone in New York, if you are into vintage jazz, now would be a good time to pay Academy (E 12th) a visit, as they apparently just bought a very large collection of nice stuff. Only a small portion had been put out when I was there. I picked up a few '70s Blue Notes in excellent condition and a second label Sonny Rollins East Broadway Rundown. I wish more of the Impulse titles had been out when I was there, but more for the rest of you!

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread and the others linked from here! Hopefully, with my kids really enjoying the trip as well, it won't be so long until my next visit, and I'll be able to use more of this intel.

uzn007, drum_cas and George P like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.