Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Sound and Fury signifying nothing

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    Haggischomper likes this.
  2. Thanks for the info. I vaguely remember something about the Showmanship part. Rings true.

As far as “Musical Chops”, sure Page plays the Sax pretty well, but as I stated earlier, I prefer Parry by a long shot. Page has good tone, but technically plays it much safer, probably so he can concentrate a bit more on “Showmanship”. Parry has little/none of that, but geesh does he ever sound good.

tedhead, mastaflatch and aphexj like this.
  3. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

petercl likes this.
  4. DrProgQuest

DrProgQuest Forum Resident

I don't know why we didn't do that, since they played 2 nights in a row in my town. I can't even remember now if we even considered it, but maybe we tried and got shut out of one show.

fishcane likes this.
  5. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Or signifying a great deal. Meanwhile, Gut Pratt struts and frets his hour upon the stage!

Haggischomper likes this.
  6. Choba b CCCP

Choba b CCCP Forum Resident

Quite erotical )))

7. DrProgQuest

:yikes:o_O:doh:

8. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Those were the days—not a cellphone in sight!

9. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Agree 100%. Dick Parry’s reappearance for TDB and the associated tour was most welcome.

10. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Listening these days to 'On the Turning Away' on The Delicate Sound of Thunder, I get a sense that it could have been a great fit on side two of The Final Cut.

JulesRules and siveld like this.
  11. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I seem to remember Parry and Floyd got in touch again around the time of TDB after him having been musically inactive for years.

Sevoflurane likes this.
  12. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Personally, I'm glad it's not. I don't like OTTA at all, but I believe I'm in a minority...

TheKevster, Frans T and MikeF63 like this.
  13. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

Going by his Wikipedia he only appeared on 1 album between 1976-1992.

Sytze likes this.
  14. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Still way overpriced, knock 150euro off that price and I might consider buying, in the meantime I'm still waiting for "other sources" 5 weeks now and still nothing, yet.

kanakaris likes this.
  15. StormCloud

StormCloud They are not artists! (shouts the 'genie')

Gilmour said (in an interview) that around that time he received a Christmas card from Parry, which led to inviting him to participate in the auditions for the TDB tour, and the rest is history.

16. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

Listening to the remix years after having last listened to this song, it struck me what a Eurovision smash hit it would now make, in 2019.

pantofis and Raziel666 like this.
  17. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

It’s only overpriced until you have it in your hands. Once you get it and dive in, it becomes worth every penny and more

18. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Ill wait a year or so for it to come waaay down in price or perhaps the Russian boot

19. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I haven't ripped and browsed the DVDs, but can confirm what others have found which is that there appear to be no surprises on the Blu Rays, having used MakeMKV to back up each one and DVD Audio Extractor to extract the audio.

20. Starship73

Starship73 Forum Resident

The video of the Earls Court rehearsal confirms why the newly-released version of Lost For Words fits so well sonically with the rest of the Pulse album, as it was performed during the latter stages of the '94 tour using the same instruments and recording set up, just without the audience. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have subsequently created my own 'definitive Pulse' by fading audience noise at the beginning and end of LFW, losslessly using Audacity. I also added Take It Back and One Of These Days by extracting the audio from the DVD, plus the 'Soundscape' intro at the beginning from the photos section of the original DVD, transitioning into SOYCD. I cross-faded OOTD into Speak To Me as well, so you get a continuous 2h 52min concert. Then you also have the three-track soundboard 'bonus track' section taken from 'Bootlegging the bootleggers' on the original DVD, adding another 20min. So I believe all tracks are represented other than the single performance of One Slip. The full running order I chose is the following (can also be presented as three CDs running at approximately 62min, 60min and 71min respectively, although this requires splitting the DSOTM section into two parts):

Soundscape
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond
    Astronomy Domine
    What Do You Want From Me
    Learning To Fly
    Keep Talking
    Take It Back
    Coming Back To Life
    Hey You
    A Great Day For Freedom
    Sorrow
    High Hopes
    Lost For Words
    Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)
    One Of These Days
    Speak To Me
    Breathe In The Air
    On The Run
    Time
    The Great Gig In The Sky
    Money
    Us And Them
    Any Colour You Like
    Brain Damage
    Eclipse
    Wish You Were Here
    Comfortably Numb
    Run Like Hell

Bonus tracks (soundboard recordings):
    On The Turning Away
    Poles Apart
    Marooned

21. DrProgQuest

I didn't spring for TEY box, but I did buy the 6 individual boxes for about $30-35 each, so I feel I got the vast majority of that content for about $200. Wasn't worth it to me to spend another $200 or so at least to get the Continuation material. So, imo, doing it that way was a bargain.

I got TLY box for under $300 new, and while disc for disc that's not as good a bargain as TEY content on the 6 boxes, looking at the big picture, $500 all told for both boxes (less Continuation) is a pretty darn good deal in the long run, especially as nice as this box is done. Also, I don't think this box will be seperately parted out like TEY was, except for possibly a blu ray or 2.

croquetlawns and fishcane like this.
  22. DrProgQuest

In the meantime, go eat some borscht Comrade.

23. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

DVD’s should have a “Rachel-Cam” Option where you can select to view only her for the entirety of each disc.

24. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I have watched enough YouTube unboxings and reviews that tell me it's not worth the money. All I am interested in is the 5.1 mixes and the recut DSOT.
    I'm happy though that many people are really happy with their boxes, we all have our favourite Floyd, but this period is my least favourite.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  25. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

You are in luck, they are in there! :p

Billy_Sunday likes this.