Barnes & Noble in-store Bl. Fri. music deals?

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Black Elk, Nov 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I went and took a trip just now. I had Moon Safari and The Man Who Sold the World in my hands. I ended up walking out empty. I'm taking a very hard line on what I buy. If I'm about to buy something I otherwise wouldn't have mainly because it's cheap, then I'm just accumulating stuff.

I'll be just fine with the CDs I have of those albums. I'll save this money to go towards something I already wanted. Was nice to have an excuse to get out and browse records though!

2. slashdot87

slashdot87 Forum Resident

Glad to know that it is possible. Some of what I bought I had sitting in my Amazon wish list for vinyl and other items were things I wanted to buy but they were too pricey.

While others were albums I just gave a shot to because it was half-price.

musictoad likes this.
  3. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

Well, here’s the damage after multiple local stops.

Ryan Adams - Gold
    Beck - Sea Change
    Big Star - The Best Of
    Black Crowes - The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion
    David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World
    David Bowie -Live Nassau Coliseum ‘76
    David Bowie - ChangesTwoBowie
    David Bowie - The Next Day
    The Cars - Shake It Up (Red Vinyl)
    The Clash - Sandinista
    Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bayou Country
    Crosby Stills & Nash - S/T
    Dead Weather - Dodge and Burn
    Bob Dylan - Greatest Hits (Sundazed Mono)
    Electric Light Orchestra - Eldorado
    Grateful Dead - Cornell 77 Box
    George Harrison - Cloud Nine
    Jimi Hendrix - Freedom (Atlanta Pop)
    Jimi Hendrix - Both Sides Of The Sky
    High Fidelity - OST
    Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy
    Led Zeppelin - Coda
    Tove Lo - Queen of the Clouds
    Love - S/T (Rhino mono)
    National - Sleep Well Beast (white vinyl)
    New Order - Music Complete
    Ted Nugent - Great Gonzos (orange vinyl)
    Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz
    Pearl Jam - Yield
    Pearl Jam - Riot Act
    Pearl Jam - Backspacer
    Wilson Pickett - Drop the Needle (Rhino)
    Pink Floyd - Relics
    Radiohead - The King Of Limbs
    Ramones - Rocket To Russia
    Rolling Stones - Blue and Lonesome
    Roxy Music - Avalon
    Shins - Oh Inverted World
    Spoon - Hot Thoughts
    St. Vincent - S.T.
    U2 - Pop
    U2 - The Best of 1990 - 2000
    White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan
    Who - Hits 50!
    Neil Young - Decade
    Zombies - Odyssey and Oracle

oops

dee, shnaggletooth, Kyhl and 11 others like this.
  4. slashdot87

Well, you're not alone... When I feel brave enough, I'll throw together my list, which started off at Best Buy looking to see if they had anything. Then, I found out about the B & N extortion plan. Damn these sales...

Gaslight likes this.
  5. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Thank you dkmonroe for your detailed comments on this; I went back to another BN last night looking for it (not there) but came away with these instead:

Big Star - The Best Of (2 LP @ 45 rpm)
    Springsteen - Magic (I will return unopened due to the bad reviews on the sonics).
    Sting - Brand New Day (2 LP)
    White Stripes - De Stijl

I had most of the Bowie releases, but for those of you who do not, these are terrific at their full price, and all the more when discounted to $11 or so. The same for the 1960's Kinks. By the way, I saw the recent McCartney Venus and Mars 2-LP, Pipes of Peace and Band on the Run also 50% off. I asked the staff manning the music section what was going on (year-end sale, cutting back on vinyl, or something else) and she said that an outside vendor or service decides on pricing. This particular store was unsure as to what to do with vinyl as it's in a mostly suburban/family area; stores in college towns and "hipper" urban areas likely sell more.
    Also, as has been mentioned before but worth repeating: an album without the 50% sticker may very well still be discounted by 50%, so ask for a price check.

dee and dkmonroe like this.
  6. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

In two different Atlanta-area BNs, some of the non-stickered albums indeed were 50% off, while others were not. The ultimate arbiter is the price that comes up on the register. If the BN employees don't want to do their jobs (unless there's a long line of customers) just take your stack of LPs to be checked out and just agree to buy the discounted items as they get scanned.

Thesmellofvinyl and dkmonroe like this.
  7. Gianni Ovalsand

Gianni Ovalsand Forum Resident

I visited my local B&N this afternoon after reading this thread. I spoke to one of managers and he told me that the 50% clearance sale will go on for a couple more months (which confirms what another member posted already on this forum thread).

My point is that if you see an album which someone on the thread has bought but your local store doesn't have it, simply request from someone at the store to order it for in-store pickup. It usually takes about 2 days for them to receive it from their warehouse. They will ask you for your phone number and/or email to contact you when it arrives. You don't pay for it until you pick it up.

For example, heepsterandrey posted that he bought the David Gilmour's Rattle That Lock. My store didn't have in stock so the manager confirmed that it was 50% off and order it for me. Should have it by the end of the week. In other words, thanks to everyone for posting so I can buy more albums that I don't need ;)

Here are some of the other albums that I bought:
    REM - Green
    U2 - Best of 1990-2000
    Diana Krall - Turn Up the Quiet
    Diana Krall - All For You
    Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
    Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds
    Paul McCartney - Egypt Station

I tried to order the Sgt Pepper Picture Disc but the manager said it wasn't on the clearance list.

Good luck. Happy hunting.

8. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

I'm right there with you musictoad: I bought 6 LPs (some double discs) mid-day yesterday, then went to another location in the evening for 4 more. Had I been weaker, I would have wound up with 20 or 25. The constraints were: Money (of course), but also having to check DRs and reviews on my phone before deciding 'yes.' If anyone's seen Paul Simon's Surprise on sale, please chime in. Thanks!

musictoad likes this.
  9. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Nice! Can I ask which ATL location/s ? I've been to the Perimeter and the Norcross branches.

10. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

About half the LPs at my one and only B&N were 50% off. Lots of big names: solo Beatles (PG&R), Stones, Sinatra, REM, U2, Dylan, Bowie, Floyd, Springsteen, Van M, Who. More modern stuff: Shins, Lake Street Dive, Modest Mouse, St. Vincent...

I just grabbed a few: Jim James’ George Harrison tribute, a Joe Bonamussa live set (there were many different titles by Joe), and a Thorogood best of compilation. Thanks to those who’ve posted here, which encouraged me to head out on a Sunday evening!

Gaslight, Tjazz and RubenH like this.
  11. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Now that I know the sale is going on a while longer I am going to take my time getting to it... sounds like I’m gonna leave a giant pile of money behind, and I go by 3 different stores routinely (one by my house, one by my work, one by my ex-wife’s house) so it could get ugly!

Kyhl and boboquisp like this.
  12. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Picked up the Dylan Triplicate box set, signed Graham Nash This Path Tonight, and Paul Simon Stranger to Stranger on orange vinyl. Plus a few CDs at 30% off. They also had some box sets that were 20-50% off.

13. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Not sure if it's been mentioned here, but aside from the $ savings, a really nice "bonus," if you can call it that, is that the sleeve and seam splits I get on most of the vinyl I buy online are not an issue with store-bought product.

dkmonroe likes this.
  14. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Hmm, I still see a few hear and there. Sometimes I've seen an LP at B&N with a big burgeoning seam split and I think, "Yeah, that one's not selling at THAT price." But at 50% off, maybe they will! :laugh:

15. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I walked out empty handed for the same reason.

Yankeefan01 and musictoad like this.
  16. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

One of the stores near me had that Bowie Glastonbury 2000 3LP set in stock a couple months ago. I’d love to find that one 50% off. Unfortunately nobody seems to have it in stock around here now.

17. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Forum Resident

Knew nothing of the sale until I wandered into the nearest B&N Friday evening. I picked up:
    Neil Young - Zuma
    Neil Young - Decade
    Iron Maiden - The Book of Souls Tour
    Beastie Boys - Ill Communication, Hot Sauce Committee, and To The 5 Boroughs

I plan on heading to a local store today that generally has a larger selection (In other words, the more affluent side of town ;)

18. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

In case anyone is planning to check the store near the Danbury Fair (mall) in Connecticut, their vinyl section is tiny in the first place. Last night, I happened to pull into a mall in West Nyack, NY that has a Barnes & Noble, but that store was closed. Probably not a bad thing.

19. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

See above—you can ask them to order it in for you.

jason202 likes this.
  20. slashdot87

That's great and horrible at the same time. I've already spent way too much... Ugh...

hutlock likes this.
  21. DLD

DLD Senior Member

A little damage (~$104) from 2 Dallas area stores today (for Metroplixicans, the Plano store on 15th had a much better "marked" discount selection than the Firewheel town center store in Garland). Headed to another couple ones later in the day

Big Star, Best of, 45rpm 2Lp, $15
    U2, All That You Can't Leave Behind, $12.50$
    St. Vincent, $11.50
    Eagles, Deperado, $12.50
    Neko Case, Hell-On, $16.50
    Decemberists, What A Terrible World, What A Beautiful World, $11.50
    Flaming Lips, Soft Bulletin, $15

22. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Seems all the Bowie boxes are half off, got who can I be now and a new career in a new town.
    Passed on loving the alien, cheaper at amazon even with the half off
    Reality tour is also half off

davers, superstar19 and slashdot87 like this.
  23. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Were these the LP boxes? I know my local had some CDs discounted too.

24. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Yes lp boxes

jlf and slashdot87 like this.
  25. slashdot87

When you get a chance to listen to the Bowie boxes, could you give a little review/assessment of the set?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.