Yellowstone - 2018 Western series Kevin Costner

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by budwhite, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I enjoyed this show a lot

gitters likes this.
  2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I was really looking forward to this and found it, ultimately, very convoluted and boring. Suffice to say, I was pretty disappointed with it. YMMV.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  3. It starts out sluggishly, I'll grant you that. The last few episodes are far more compelling.

GodShifter and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Currently at Episode 2 but I really like this show a lot already. Pretty great cast, characters are not black/white cardboard but nuanced, awesome landscape and solid storytelling so far.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. My wife and I got through 53 minutes of the first episode and turned this garbage off. :D

Everyone was so beautiful, or very close to it, that it completely took me out of any sort of realism this show had to offer. I'm starting to thinking that the casting department of shows like these are insulting our intelligence.

And the lines. Oh my god, they read like a play, only since it's supposed to be "real" it comes off stilted.

Now, I don't mind a few strong leads here and there. Hollywood has always been full of them, but when it gets to the point that the eye candy replaces the substance, yeah, it gives me brain diabetes. :whistle:

milankey and GodShifter like this.
  6. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Anyone watch Season 2? I viewed Season 1 & thought it was Good. Not VG or VG+, just plain Good, which is really just better than much else on tv. (That's not saying much.) It's just that it is different than the usual muck that's on, which I'm watching less & less tv b/c there's less on that A) I'm finding interesting B) Is interesting enough to hold my attention C) There aren't good comedies...i.e. "funny" . I wasn't interested enough @ the time it aired to even tune into Season 2, but if I hear good reports on it, I may look into it. ~ Thank You.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. I thought season two was the best drama on television or streaming in 2019. Season one was a pretty good show. Yellowstone's second season is far, far better. There isn't any filler in the ten episodes and the drama is more compelling.

Yellowstone: Season Two Blu-ray Review with HD Screenshots

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I liked it a lot! It's your basic above average quality adult melodramatic soap opera television. I'm into westerns, the scenery's gorgeous, and it features a cast of thoroughbred heavyweights, so what's not to like!? Oh, did I forget to mention the daughter? Everybody thinks Costner's the draw, until SHE shows up!;)

mrjinks and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Is season two a continuation of season one, or is it a self contained story?

10. Matthew Tate

continues

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  11. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I really want to see this. Not available in Canada. ITunes sells season 1-2 for $40. Is it worth it?

12. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I found series 1 quite entertaining...but asking 40$ is a bit much, I think.

13. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

I do enjoy it, but $40 for 2 seasons? Pretty thin gruel...

Brenald79 likes this.
  14. Both seasons have been released on Blu-ray as well.

Yellowstone: Season 1 Blu-ray Review

Brenald79 likes this.
  15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

quite possibly the best show on TV right now.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Matthew Tate

the characters are fantastic. beth is the best character on tv right now

jlocke08, forthlin and rjp like this.
  17. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

Yeah, I'm really digging this show. Costner is just an arresting actor, and Cole Hauser has finally found his signature role.

jpelg, Matthew Tate and rjp like this.
  18. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Yeah that’s more than I’m willing to pay. But it looks like a great show.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. I think Yellowstone may be streaming on the new Peacock streaming service.

20. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Good to know! No PeacockTV yet in Canada but I read it will be down the road. I’ll wait.

21. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

I like this show. It's a big hit too, it's getting 3.5 million + live viewers which is hard to do these days.

I'm not sure why people like Rip so much though, he seems like a total monster to me. Like he was ready to kill Walker (a nice guy) over pretty much nothing.

I'm glad Paramount allows for profanity in their shows too, it makes it better IMO.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Hmmm, Rip’s a total monster? Isn’t he just a product of the culture John Dutton has developed to sustain his empire?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

Wasn't he already a problem kid when John took him under his wing?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

I think he was, but Dutton nurtured him and his hands aren’t clean.

25. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Just finished Season 3....fine series! Nothing groundbreaking, really; a sort of Dynasty with ethic questions, added violence, bad manners and Kelly Reilly:love:!
    Watching this series it's easy to get trapped in the strange and twisted morals. The cowboys from the Dutton ranch become the 'good guys', fighting off cattle thieves and thugs...until you realize (again) that is branded crew is a mafia gang of the worst kind; despite their dreams and aspirations anyone who wants to quit goes to 'the station' (a.k.a. the 'long black train')
    the ranch seems to have it's own mass grave somewhere miles
    away....