The SugarCube Is Here At Last...Clicks & Pops R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DigMyGroove, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Wow, thank you! 2 years in and this is the actual first feedback on it that I've ever read anywhere!

How about the automatic album identification and tagging?

SamtheMan likes this.
  2. SamtheMan

SamtheMan Forum Resident

That has also improved. I am not 100% sure of the original process but I think it used to try and identify albums from the actual audio and the results were very hit and miss.
    It now works on a look-up feature where you have to type in the exact catalogue number of the LP and then you get a dropdown of choices to choose from.
    I believe the look-up is from Discogs. So once you choose your album the software tags it and if the source of the look-up also has track times it will insert the breaks.
    I have mentioned this in the past that the track break times are not perfect - nor can they be since some recordings may start spot on with the music and some may delay by a number of seconds.
    So track breaks almost always require some repositioning which is very easy to do by moving the track markers around.

Strat-Mangler and Hogues like this.
  3. I’m waiting for this kind of technology to incorporate neural networks so that while the music is playing, the software would analyze the output in real time and be able to adjust the strength and type of the noise suppression as both/either the music and/or the noise changes. As everyone plays more and more records, the algorithm would become smarter. Crowdsourced AI, essentially. Of course, this would require cloud based processing but this kind of approach is certainly within the limits of current technology. I wonder if anything like this is in the works?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    WDeranged likes this.
  4. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

Thank you Sam for the very detailed and informative posts. You are indeed the man!

SamtheMan and Strat-Mangler like this.
  5. SamtheMan

SamtheMan Forum Resident

Unfortunately I have to revise this. I recorded 3 albums yesterday and only got around to processing/saving them today. The artefacts were much more common, but again, frustratingly totally random.
    The artefacts were always presented as a slight tick at the very end of the track. The 3 LPs worked out like this:

LP1 - 10 tracks - 2 tracks required remediation, 1 & 9 (This was an old album so I used Click Repair Level 5)
    LP2 - 6 tracks - no remediation required (New album using Click Repair Level 2)
    LP3 - 5 tracks - all tracks required remediation (New album using Click Repair Level 2)

Fixing an album with discreet tracks, with silence between them, is very straightforward as I just fade out the last 1/2 second or so in Audacity and that works well at effectively silencing the offending small tick.

I haven't recorded any gapless albums lately but I am pretty much resigned to just recording and saving those as full album sides or by grouping gapless tracks together as 1 track to save the aggravation.

So it looks like there is still a bit of work for SV to do here.

6. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

Thanks for the update.

7. While I nhaven't done a ton of ripping, the auto splitting worked fine for me on those occasions where I recorded a few LP sides.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

How about the auto-tagging? Did you have to do anything for the album to be detected?

9. The limited times I did it there wasn't a problem. At first, it might tag a song as being on a greatest hits LP but then would change it as soon as it determined it was a non-greatest hits LP.

10. frans callebaut

frans callebaut Well-Known Member

when will the vinyl surface noise reduction software upgrade for the sc-1 be available ?

11. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

It won't. That's only on SC-2 models or SC-1 Plus as far as I know. This has been explained here several times.

12. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

I ordered and received an SC-1 mini a few weeks back. It seems to be working as described in this thread and elsewhere, more or less. I am curious about "calibration," however. The app asks me to play 33 1/3, 7" disk to accomplish this. The documentation for the SC-1 mini does not mention anything about a 7" disc or calibration, so I am assuming it is not an option for this model. Does anyone know if that's correct?

Also, if anyone is interested, I am using it via the tape loop on my integrated. I believe that's the only way to set it up with my particular configuration. I leave it in "repair" mode and use the tape loop to enable/disable repair, rather than using the SC-1 bypass.

Thanks!

Chris

13. frans callebaut

in june last year i have received a message (from Dan from sweetvinyl) that there would be a vinyl surface noise upgrade for the sc-1 in the fall of 2019.

14. marblesmike

My SC-1 Mini didn't come with a calibration disc either, as I think that was something only used with earlier models and isn't necessary anymore.

Subagent and Strat-Mangler like this.
  15. marblesmike

Are you confusing "surface noise removal" with "click removal"?

The click removal tool's algorithm has been updated for some users, depending on their model. The surface noise tool (a lossy noise reducing feature designed for noisy LPs or 78s) was never intended for the SC-1 base models.

16. frans callebaut

no, i am not. Dan definiyely mentioned an upgrade for surface noise removal(especially for 78's). the price would be 500 dollars.

17. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

That requires a hardware retrofit, so you would probably have to send your unit to Sweet Vinyl

marblesmike likes this.
  18. marblesmike

I misunderstood you. There is a hardware upgrade but that requires you sending in your device to SweetVinyl for the upgrade. You should contact them directly to ask about that.

19. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The calibration record has been entirely phased out. Do NOT use it even though the option still appears on the app.

Dane Argentini and Subagent like this.
  20. frans callebaut

that's gonna cost me a fortune on shipping and customs.

21. marblesmike

Don't shoot the messenger. This isn't anything new. I believe Dan mentioned this previously in this thread.

Hogues, Dane Argentini and Ben Adams like this.
  22. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

It is not the small company’s fault where you live Neither is it yours. It is what it is

Dane Argentini and Strat-Mangler like this.
  23. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Do you use 78's? If not, then the SVNR is likely of no use anyway...?

24. frans callebaut

yes, i have many 78's.

25. frans callebaut

why do you think when somebody doesn't use 78's that SVNR is of no use ? vinyl records do have surface noise too and sometimes hiss from the tapes they where made of , don't they ?