The Beatles Star-Club tapes - Mark Lewisohn (I am the EggPod Podcast)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Critter, Dec 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Critter

Critter Hyperactive! Thread Starter

2. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Have to work later today and needed something to listen to, this will do nicely indeed.

tedkul, Critter and Exotiki like this.
  3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks for posting!

Maranatha5585, Critter and Exotiki like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

THANKS!

Critter likes this.
  5. Critter

Critter Hyperactive! Thread Starter

Here is the interview by Bernard Falk with Alan Williams and Teddy 'Kingsize' Taylor that is mentioned in the Podcast:

6. TheOrangeApple

TheOrangeApple Well-Known Member

Thanks, cant wait to listen to it tomorrow.

Critter likes this.
  7. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

Enjoying this right now. Thanks for posting.

Question: It’s probably been discussed elsewhere, but do we know why Mark is “out of favor” with the principals?

Critter likes this.
  8. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

I still own that LP Mark holds in his hands in the photo. Never understood the Fabs' wish to suppress this stuff, especially since it emerged in '77 and showed they were a sort of proto-Ramones. Thanks for posting. Always look forward to anything Lewisohn.

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Mark has to be independent if he wants to be considered as an unbiased biographer. And since he is writing an unauthorized book, he inevitably brings up topics that the principals may not want discussed.

For example, his revealing of George Martin's affair with his secretary (later to be his wife, Judy), and the subsequent true story about how George Martin was "forced" to sign the band as a form of retaliation from EMI, probably touched a bad nerve of the Martin family, and may have been troubling to even Paul and Ringo.

Also, in the past, he made George and Yoko upset over an indiscretion of revealing too much to a journalist during the Anthology years. Paul though smoothed things over, and Mark was able to finish his work for Apple at that time.
    Paul also had Mark work on Wingspan a few years later. And Paul has answered the occasional email from Mark even when he (Mark) was writing his Tune In book. It was also mentioned that Mark did do some type of small bit of research for Paul in the past few years, although I am not sure if this was verified. At least for Paul, then, I would not say that he (Mark) had a falling out.

However, Mark needs to keep his distance to stay on the safe side.

10. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

Thanks Arnold. I guess I still think of Mark as being part of the Apple family, but as he points out in this podcast it’s been over thirty years since he wrote the Recording Sessions book.

11. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

I Am the Eggpod is one of the best Beatle podcasts out there. I'd recommend anyone to check it out, this and older episodes as well.

12. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Kevin Howlett appears to have taken his place.

ChriTur, DK Pete and Brother Maynard like this.
  13. Celebrated Summer

"Also, in the past, he made George and Yoko upset over an indiscretion of revealing too much to a journalist during the Anthology years. "

Anything to do with these?

[​IMG]

14. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

There are some interesting insights about the Hamburg tapes. However the music does the real talking. I recommend every Beatles fan to get past the sound quality issues and listen to the available recordings. The Star Club recordings are a unique look into the Beatles early years.

The podcast interviewees didn’t mention that Adrian Barber was the actual recordist of the Star Club tapes.

15. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

What version of "Love Me Do" is played at 31:43 during the podcast? Never heard that before

Edit: It's Pete Best's version from Anthology.

16. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

I can't get this podcast to play. It keeps coming up as error. Are there any alternate places to link to for listening to it? Thanks.

17. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

you can play them from their website: I am the EggPod

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Kevin Howlett is more of an analyst; Lewisohn's a detective. Both are valuable for a well rounded scope of information; while I *do* find Lewisohn the more indispensable of the two (if I had to choose), the writings of each very nicely complement each other.

Hep Alien, longdist01 and Darrin L. like this.
  19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

What did he say that bothered George and Yoko??

Hamhead and AppleCorp3 like this.
  20. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

Great podcast!

21. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

In a interview, Mark said that George had looked him square in the eyes on 2 separate occasions and said " how can you write about us, you weren't there". Also I believe he said also, that they felt he was working more for Paul's interest, than theirs.

22. Just been listening to the first section (it's a long podcast, so I'll be digesting it in bits and pieces), and was glad to hear Lewisohn give Ringo so much credit for his outstanding drumming during the gigs, in essence "binding them together" as a band. I agree - Ringo is in many ways the star of the show, and with probably little prior experience playing a lot of these gig's actual repertoire prior...

jas621, Hep Alien, kozy814 and 11 others like this.
  23. Celebrated Summer

"I recommend every Beatles fan to get past the sound quality issues and listen to the available recordings."

I'll take it a step further: I recommend every Beatles fan EMBRACE the sound quality. These recordings show the group didn't need fancy production to come across. The production was a nice touch, but the band had power to burn without it.

Plus, back in the late '70s, it was sort of a test of mettle to get into this stuff. After all, anyone could listen to Boston's pristine-sounding albums. That's easy to do. But we went for the hard stuff, baby. No Dolby, limiters, effects, or name brand microphones. Just an old tape recorder sitting on a table in a club. Makes Hasil Atkins seem like Steely Dan by comparison. Deal with it, people!! Go big or go home!

24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Leave it to ccc!
    I actually LISTENED to this yesterday!
    The 'recordings', not the podcast!
    After this, I'm gonna go back, and listen to the Neil Innes one!

25. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Wow...I had never heard that before. Very interesting.

Spadeygrove likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.