Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [2019+]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

It sounds to me like the "sandwich" includes only one Archive album ("one of them will be in this thread").

2. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

The second piece of bread could also be a non-archive related Paul release, I seem to remember that being mentioned in this or one of the other Paul threads on here. Maybe we’ll finally get the Guitar Concerto? Or maybe something completely unexpected and out of left field.

3. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Re-read his post. "One of them" refers to one of the metaphorical slices of bread and could represent a dual release.

4. Beatles_Fan_98

Beatles_Fan_98 Well-Known Member

I have a hunch that with the "More disks to date" comment, it could be something like Press To Play or Flaming Pie. Both of those had a bunch of sessions.

Press To Play would have the first disc be the original 1986 CD (including Write Away, It's Not True, Tough On A Tightrope). The second CD would have all the 1984-1986 sessions that made up a majority of the Return To Pepperland bootleg, but not stuff from Oobu Joobu (so that would have Lindiana, Big Day, Peacocks, Return to Pepperland), and could fill a CD with that, and then there could be a disk full of demos and earlier takes for the songs, with highlights including the different version of Feel The Sun, Yvonne's The One, the live version of Only Love Remains, and an early version of Press. Then there would be a disk of b-sides, including the remixes, since most of the major singles from these sessions had a bunch of mixes (Press, Pretty Little Head, Talk More Talk, Spies Like Us, Once Upon A Long Ago, Tough On A Tightrope, Angry, Hanglide, Simple As That) and the DVD would probably have a documentary on the making of the album, maybe with Once Upon A Video and the Press and Pretty Little Head music videos, and the Rupert The Bear cartoon.

Flaming Pie, seeming like one of Paul's most "complete" albums, would have a bunch of sessions, with a disk of outtakes, including the original 1986 version of Beautiful Night and the orchestral overdub sessions with George Martin. There would be a second disk for B-Sides and unreleased tracks (Love Come Tumbling Down, Same Love, Broomsticks, and Looking For You are the B-Sides, and unreleased tracks would probably be Whole Life, Ballad Of The Skeletons, Soul Boy (among other tracks)), and then there would be an entire disk dedicated to the six Oobu Joobu singles, but to avoid the repetition of the "Oobu Joobu" theme (it gets pretty old fast), its one disk with a long, edited version of all six shows which also includes I Love This House, Atlantic Ocean, Squid, Don't Break The Promise, and Love Mix. The DVD Could have music videos, and the "In The World Tonight" documentary, along with the video footage for the Oobu Joobu recording (Im not sure if that's it, but it's where Paul is messing around with the mellotron in his studio)

I would've also thought the majority of the discs going towards Off The Ground, since it had sessions going back to the early 80s, then the 'Complete Works' disk, and then there was a bunch of songs that Paul made demos of, but with Paul Is Live just being released, I'm sure McCartney would want to wait a bit.

5. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Well, we know Let It Be had lots of jam(s). :shh: :D

Flaming Pie is supposed to be already finished, so it wouldn't have such a delay — methinks it will be the end of Wings first, with Let It Be hot on its heels.
    A new classical release in the fall would work too, but I think that a pop album between the DVD set of Let It Be and the re-releases of both All Things Must Pass and Plastic Ono Band would make more sense because Beatles products tend to help sell more Beatles/post-Beatles projects, as we saw post-Anthology.

6. Beatles_Fan_98

Beatles_Fan_98 Well-Known Member

LATE 80s, my bad.

longdist01 likes this.
  7. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

I have reasonable hopes for an ATMP 50 ANNIVERSARY release this fall, with POB 50 closely following.

Damn, the George album is better than some Beatles stuff itself..:hide::uhhuh:

8. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Where was the hint from MPL about "more disks to date"?
    My hunch is that MPL is seeing what's happening to his contemporaries' work and wants to compete. Look at how Pink Floyd's The Early Years led to the inclusion of DVD & blu-ray in Sgt. Pepper's, and while there isn't enough video for the next releases by The Beatles (The Beatles has a blu-ray dominated by mixes, Abbey Road has no video), Red Rose Speedway does the double video disc thing as well.

As I see the potential numbers:
    • Give My Regards To Broad Street
      1. original CD
      2. demos ("No More Lonely Nights," "We All Stand Together," "On The Wings Of A Nightingale," " "), film cuts (full version of "Corridor Music," bunkered "Yesterday," longer guitar solo after "No Values" and longer "Ballroom Dancing," unused "Fool On The Hill" and "Give My Regards To Broad Street"), vinyl edits ("Wanderlust," "Eleanor's Dream"), singles (both sides of "We All Stand Together," some remixes of "No More Lonely Nights")
      3. video disc of behind-the-scenes footage, music videos
      4. if Disney allows it: DVD of Give My Regards To Broad Street with commentary by Paul and the Rupert short
      5. blu-ray of disc 4
    • Press To Play
      1. original 13 track CD
      2. bonus material: "Spies Like Us," original 1987 mixes of most of the Pepperland material – not "Peacocks," "Lindiana" or "Beautiful Night", "Simple As That," "Hanglide," "Yvonne," "Once Upon A Long Ago (long version)"
      3. remixes part 1: multiples of "Spies Like Us," a remix of "My Carnival," both Suzy & The Red Stripes remixes, two mixes of "Press," two of "Pretty Little Head," one of "Talk More Talk," "It's Not True," "Angry," "Tough On A Tightrope," "Once Upon A Long Ago" [the extended one], "Only Love Remains" — plus the original long version of "Good Times Coming/Feel The Sun"
      4. remixes part 2 (completes the previous disc)
      5. video disc with both The Paul McCartney Special and the videos that appeared on Once Upon A Video (including both adverts for All The Best!), and throw in a live performance of "Only Love Remains"
    • Choba B CCCP
      1. original 14 track CD
      2. bonus material: single mix of "Once Upon a Long Ago," b-side "I Wanna Cry," given away "It's Now Or Never," missing tracks including "I Saw Her Standing There," "PS Love Me Do," the new version of "Jet" and "Listen To What The Man Said" that were mimed to, and maybe the Prince's Trust performance
      3. DVD with the Prince's Trust performance and Live Aid's "Let It Be"
    • Tripping The Live Fantastic
      1. original CD 1
      2. original CD 2
      3. "All My Trials" from Highlights!, all the b-sides, the two rehearsals from the Flowers singles, some more soundchecks
      4. DVD of Get Back with the videos for "Birthday" and "All My Trials"
      5. blu-ray of disc 4
    • Unplugged
      1. original CD
      2. two cuts from the b-sides, one promo cut, two missing cuts, two alternate performances, rehearsals
      3. DVD of the TV performance including the interview component
    • Off The Ground
      1. original CD
      2. b-sides
      3. unused recordings, any remaining b-sides, Saturday Night Live performance(s), "Deliverance" mixes
      4. Strawberries Oceans Ships Forest CD
      5. DVD with Movin' On and all the associated videos
      6. DVD of Up Close
    • Paul Is Live
      1. present remaster of original CD
      2. songs performed that were missed on the CD
      3. extended version of the DVD
    • Flaming Pie
      1. original CD
      2. b-sides & tracks from the period (including "A Room With A View" but not "Ballad Of The Skeletons") and not "Appaloosa"
      3. DVD of In The World Tonight with all the videos – both versions of the first two – and the two mimed performances
    • Rushes
      1. original CD
      2. existing remixes plus a few more
      3. DVD of the Internet broadcast
    • Run Devil Run
      1. original CD
      2. three mono mixes joined by the rest of the CD in mono
      3. both versions of "Fabulous," the missing cuts, the tribute album covers (for Sun Records, Ian Dury) and the PETA concert tracks
      4. blu-ray of Live At The Cavern
    • Driving Rain
      1. original CD
      2. unused tracks, tracks given out between 1998 and 2002, "Tropic Island Hum"
      3. DVD of the documentary about being in New York, with added music videos
    • Back In The World
      1. Back In The US disc 1 (not remastered)
      2. Back In The World disc 2 (not remastered)
      3. live recordings from New York 2001, Super Bowl, missing cuts from disc 2 including alternate performance of "Hey Jude," 2002 Palace performances, "All Things Must Pass" from the Nobel show, 2003 live performances of "Birthday" and "Two Of Us"
      4. soundchecks, the secret performance, and maybe some more live cuts
      5. blu-ray of Back In The US
    • Twin Freaks
      1. original double LP now on CD
      2. the Wingspan remixes which were also used to introduce the tour
    • Chaos And Creation In The Backyard
      1. original CD (not remastered)
      2. b-sides, Japanese-only cut and unused cuts
      3. Abbey Road acoustic performances
      4. reissue of the DVD from the special edition
    Then Memory Almost Full may be last [(1) original CD, (2) deluxe tracks, acoustic "Dance Tonight," remixes of "Nod Your Head" + unused material, (3) interview + Electric Ballroom performance, (4) videos, (5) either Electric Proms or Paris 2007].

Live At The Amoeba adds the video for disc 2.
    Electric Arguments, Good Evening New York, etc. are pretty much set as to what can be added, with maybe the odd b-side here or there.

9. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Well, since this is a guess on existing information, if there is a “new” album then I would say that would be a soundtrack for “High in the Clouds”. While we know Netflix is involved now, we don’t have a timeline and

I think it was in the Egypt Station forum that one of our members spoke about a CD floating around the industry that was being used by animators putting together the film. My memory is that there were 12 songs or more but don’t remember exactly.

So that could be likely. I would highly doubt that a brand new studio album is in the mix for this year but I would love that to be true

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Forgive me if this has been addressed - whether here or elsewhere - but what do people hope to get from a Super Deluxe "ATMP"?

Remixed version of the album?

Copious studio outtakes?

More Apple Jam? :hurl:

???

11. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Maybe the soundtrack/cast recording to the Broadway musical would be the new studio release. But I wonder how much Paul would actually feature on such an album, apart from writing and some instrumentation. I can’t imagine he will actually be singing .It might wind up in the same category as the classical albums if thats the case, I doubt it would be considered the followup to Egypt Station.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  12. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

remix/remaster (obligatory at this point with these releases, but always fun to have a different version)

Generous helping of bonus tracks/outtakes demos

version of the album stripped down (either via a new mix, or using demos to create an alternate version of the album)

nice book.

Use the Ultimate Imagine box set as a starting point, and go even bigger!

vinylbeat, Wingsfan2012, Sean and 3 others like this.
  13. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I found the post I was talking about from @cb70

So I spoke to the person again last night who has heard most of the new songs back in June and gave me the titles "Back In Brazil" & "Who Cares" before they were known (plus the other 6 unverified titles??). Anyway, she mentioned that there is an 11 track sampler going around with all new music for the High In The Clouds film. It's not a soundtrack (yet...?) but only reference music for use during production. There are 9 original songs, 1 slow alternate version of one of those 9 and a reprise of another one.

14. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

While anything can happen, one of those last interviews with Paul, he spoke of the musical starting in 2021 in London. I would doubt we’d get a soundtrack before that and I agree, just how much would Paul have to do with it other than writing

augustboy, longdist01 and joeislive like this.
  15. Oatsdad

Yeah, I'd love something akin to the "Imagine" set from 2018.

Don't expect it, but would love it!

longdist01 and joeislive like this.
  16. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Has it been verified that 20th Century Fox (or, now, Disney) still holds exclusive rights to the film and as such would control its inclusion in an Archive? I can't imagine Paul and MPL willingly giving up all control of potential home video distribution when they signed the contracts in 82/83/84.

On that note, hopefully Broad Street gets back out there with a DVD/Blu-Ray cover close to the original VHS:
    [​IMG]

The 2004 DVD cover is good, but nothing compared to that.
    [​IMG]

17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Hmmm. Time to put on my Sherlock Holmes cap...

A Sandwich is NOT a pie. Nor is a pie considered to be a sandwich.
    So NOT Flaming Pie.

Let It Be is the ham. What goes with ham? Ask Dr Seuss: Green Eggs and Ham.
    So Back To The Egg is a strong possibility.

Sandwiches have 2 pieces of bread. Bread is also slang for $$$. Two pieces of bread means twice the $$$.
    So any Sandwich or Sandwiches will be EXPENSIVE.

;)

18. Henrik Jutbring

Henrik Jutbring Forum Resident

19. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

There are tons of outtakes.

augustboy and longdist01 like this.
  20. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

yeah, with the Harrison estate, I don’t expect anything, but would love to be surprised.
    I also wish they would continue with the Ultimate sets for Lennon. There are only 8 studio albums ( 7 if you combine Double Fantasy and Milk and Honey) and Imagine is already done. It would be great if they all got the Ultimate treatment, sort of the definitive word on each album from one of the most important musical figures of the 20th century (of course I would apply that to the other 3 Beatles as well, but only Paul seems interested in continuously curating his catalog and trying to give fans what they want)

Oyster Boy and augustboy like this.
  21. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Dhani Harrisons has spoken of "troves of stuff Bootleggers don't have!" so even if a ATMP Anniversary Boxset arrives in 2020 or after we have no idea what will be offered. George only put a few bits on 2001 reissue....

22. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Remember, Mike also said in the upcoming releases there are more than one "Anniversary edition". I expect ATMP and/ or Plastic Ono Band, or Double Fantasy (apart from Let It Be 50 and the next McCartney Archive).

23. Oatsdad

Yeah, I'd be all over SDEs for all of the Lennon albums...

...except "STINYC". That one's too long as it is! :D

longdist01 and joeislive like this.
  24. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

:drool:

Sean and longdist01 like this.
  25. Oatsdad

Given this year would've been John's 80th birthday, ya gotta expect something from the Lennon camp.

Sad to say, but it's probably the last Lennon milestone birthday for which Yoko will still be around. I hope she makes it to 97, though!