What am I buying? Barcode strike though...*

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Victor Martell, Jan 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sounds funny, but hear me out. There is a local record shop that carry a combination of used and new records, probably mostly used... maybe 80/20 percent. I like it; always something interesting, and very often they carry the new releases I am interested in getting.

I also like the fact is that often, the new records are slightly cheaper than other stores... even amazon... For whatever reason, I started to wonder why. I noticed that without exception, those records seem to have a barcode that is written over (as in scribble to distort the barcode so is unusable) by a sharpie. So, put together with them being sometimes a good 30% cheaper than other places got me thinking... What am I buying? Knockoffs (I don't think so, but well)? Records from rejected lots? Other situations?

To be fair, I haven't had too many issues... I mean, one record had a ton of gunk that made it unplayable and in another instance, a double album had one wrong record..... but also to be fair, both things have happened to me when buying from amazon...

So any idea? Thanks in advance!

v

Crimson Witch likes this.
  2. Mr.Mustache

Mr.Mustache Forum Resident

Those aren't records bro, they are alien eggs!!! Don't spin them at 45rpm or they will hatch and then you'll be up a creek. Also don't leave them alone in daylight. It's going to be best if you put them in the freezer.

Ed the Dog likes this.
  3. Victor Martell

So you mean they are overstock? I would be ok with that - my worry is that we are talking about QC reject stock...

v

lightbulb likes this.
  4. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

In the 90’s, I would have guessed that the records that you’re buying were commercial stock that was surreptitiously sequestered as promo copies, perhaps by a record label office insider.
    With a baseball cap worn low, with jacket collar pulled high, he’d haul a box or two of such contraband into a local record store for a few extra bucks.

I’m not too certain if this type of backdoor dealing is possible in 2019.

5. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I've no clue, but perhaps they're customer returns that can't be resealed and sold as new again for full price, so, like the record store equivalent of the grocer's "reduced for quick sale" items shelf.

6. drpep

drpep Whizzing and pasting and pooting through the day

You could always ask at the counter.

7. Victor Martell

Did occur to me, but was afraid of insulting them or made them think they were being accused of something... have to think of how to properly phrase the questions... thnx!

v

8. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Could be either promos, or returns...or overstocks from somewhere. I've seen CDs and LPs with the barcode struck out with ink occasionally.

My main issue with it is how it spoils the item visually.

EG.

9. Victor Martell

Not a lot of replies that it looks like some agreeing that might they might promos or overstock - like I said before, my fear was that they were QC rejects - thnx so much

v

Eric_Generic likes this.
  10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Are these sealed records in their original shrinkwrap (so the markings would only be on the shrinkwrap) or are they open / not in shrink?

11. Victor Martell

It seems to be original shrinkwrap - many of them include stickers and such. The scribble in over the barcode sometimes is directly on the cover, sometimes over the shrinkwrap... The store does have a shrinkwrap machine and they claim that their machine always only does loose shrinkwrap, not the factory really tight one. But I think the presence of the record label stickers (you, know, the one that say New Master, pressed by so and so, or something like that) points to original shrinkwrap.

v

12. Humbler

Humbler Forum Resident

Sorry for the derail but your Avatar....Money Heist?

13. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

But are they sealed? Perhaps these are returns that they are reselling.

My local store even sells sealed returns this way. Always figured they could just put it back on the shelf as new but they don't do that.

14. Victor Martell

YES! :D - Best show in the world.

v

Humbler likes this.
  15. Victor Martell

ah - true - could be that, makes total sense.

v

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.