Do you accept the new Star Wars trilogy as canon?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by zinger_ghretzel, Jan 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zinger_ghretzel

zinger_ghretzel War Is Over, If You Want It. Thread Starter

Do you accept the new Star Wars trilogy as a canon?

Do do you consider only George Lucas’s work like something canonical (talking about movies) ?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Of course it’s canon. That’s not to say there isn’t some great non-canonical items like the Dark Horse Star Wars comics etc.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Impressed — “canon” spelled correctly every time thus far.

We’ll see what happens with “role” if it comes up.

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

The last three movies have been Star Wars films produced by Lucasfilm. They're canon. There is no arguing this, there is no alternative, there is no middle of the road.

They are canon. You don't have to enjoy them, like them, think they're any good, or even resist (or give in to!) the urge to buy them on physical media and defecate on them in your front yard for all to see.

They are absolutely canon, until the rights owners at some point in the future say otherwise.*

*Gene Roddenberry thinking Star Trek V: The Final Frontier was purely apocryphal for a host of reasons mainly revolving around the fact that he did not like the final product also did not magically make that film non-canon.

5. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

Star Wars ended in 1983

6. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

7. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Yes. They are officially Canon.

Now ,as a fan if you simply want to ignore these films,that works too. The Star Wars trilogy of trilogies make that easy to do. Each sort of stands on their own individually but together tell a larger story.

I mean,it's all imaginary stories anyway,does it really matter if it is or isn't canon?

Although if you are a member of the you know what menace who foolishly think if they whine and complain and stomp their feet and threaten boycotts that they will be able to bully Lucasfilm to strike the newest films from the official Canon ...ain't gonna happen. The sequel trilogy has made nearly 4 billion dollars combined to date. Like em or not ,they are now a part of the official canon and will forever be.

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

100% canon. Lucas gave his approval to more canonical "Star Wars" when he sold the property to Disney...

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  9. Everything but the darned Star Wars Xmas special is canon...

mmars982 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

From Twitter today:
    [​IMG]
    So not only does it matter, but apparently you have to be knee-deep in all the NON-canon too to be a "real" fan. :crazy:

Needless to say this guy got soundly roasted by everybody from Michael Okuda to Chuck Wendig and other published Star Wars authors.

Stormrider77 and LivingForever like this.
  11. Yeah he’s kind of...obsesssed.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I vote that only the "Star Wars Holiday Special" is canon!

wrappedinsky, Exotiki and wayneklein like this.
  13. Yeah Bea Arthur is what makes it canon.

Frozensoda and Oatsdad like this.
  14. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Isn't C3PO based on Bea Arthur?

S. P. Honeybunch and wayneklein like this.
  15. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

I did not vote, as the option of “Shooting all known copies of Star Wars movies made after 1983 out of a cannon towards the nearest nebula” was not listed.

Edit: The Han Solo “I know” and the end scene in TRoS were great scenes. And the Darth Vader end scene in Rogue One was phenomenal.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  16. As soon as Grand Moff Tarkin gets off the toilet, the Death Star will be targeting your home.

17. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I mean, why do I have to go to Europe to read the books?

18. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I thought EU stood for Ewok Universe?

Frozensoda likes this.
  19. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

The Ewoks are becoming a real pest in Germany.

20. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

True fans can recite the dialog of all the shows in Klingon.

21. David Campbell

Well since by this guy's definition I am a fan (yes,I have done some of all the above back in the day and I'm currently going through clone wars and enjoying it on Disney +), I guess I'm qualified enough to call him an idiot.

If you've ever enjoyed any piece of Star Wars media whether one ,two ,three or more of the movies whether newer or older or a novel or a comic or cartoon,whatever you are a "real fan". This is not a phallic measuring contest.

The elitism and gatekeeping of some of these guys is insulting and grids my gears. Of course,the worst of these types are the ones who believe your level of fandom is dictated about how loud and obnoxious one can be about dislike of whatever is in Vogue to hate within the fandom heirarcy. In the early to mid 2000's it was the Prequels. Now it's the sequels.

I.E. "if you don't hate the sequel trilogy with a passion and hate Disney for making them you aren't a TRUE FAN"

I mean get a life,Nerd. *

*I can say that because I'm 2/4s nerdish.

Phil147 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  22. David Campbell

I think it was some evil scheme by George Lucas gone wrong. Ever notice they all sorta look like him? Obviously some sick cloning experiments there.

23. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

There really is nothing more annoying than hardcore fans...

(Of anything!)

I used to enjoy hanging out on specific forums talking about the minutiae of certain bands/movies/TV shows but these days, give me this forum any day.

24. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Well, I fell asleep halfway through the first one, so would have to say 'not interested.'

I enjoyed Rogue One when it was on telly the other day, though.

Jimmy Disco D likes this.
  25. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

I voted for non-canon (purely from my own personal perspective)... I accept that they exist but I literally have no interest in watching any of them again (and in the case of TRoS, even making the effort to go see it at all!)... Disney have wrung out SW like a damp rag in less than a decade; the idea of me not being excited about a new 'Wars film was unthinkable even during the prequels era, but the Mouse House is such an avaricious beast, and their approach to the new films so haphazard - if Kathleen Kennedy worked for a normal corporate division, she'd likely be fired by now for terrible management despite the money made under her tenure - it all feels just so... I don't know, so corporate... that it just leaves a sour taste in my mouth... and that's not even taking into account my own humble opinion that new trilogy simply has/had no story of any substance to tell, no sense of myth and/or resonance being imparted, no original and/or memorable setpieces (of which the prequels had in spades!), and was so grossly over-reliant on the iconography and overall nostalgia for the OT that it forgot to be a different and distinct thing in it's own right. And note to Disney; a Mary Sue character simply isn't interesting as the main protagonist... you need things at stake, painful sacrifices to be had, mistakes made and lessons learned for proper dramatic effect, none of which happened in this new trilogy from it's central lead character.

OT theatrical versions for the win... after that, I'm done with SW... I really, really want to love the prequels, but with the exception of Episode III, they're interminable for the most part, alas...

End transmission.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Regginold31, nosliw, Kyhl and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.