Do you accept the new Star Wars trilogy as canon?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by zinger_ghretzel, Jan 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

I know that Jabba died in #6, but what is the harm in having another Hutt? We're talking about a type of creature with great stage presence and an interesting voice. Heck, Return of the Jedi could have been all Tatooine and Jabba sequences and no one would have complained. It was the best part of the movie.

2. Sandorelli

Sandorelli Forum Resident

I’d rather dismiss the original trilogy than Accept the new, much less accept
    Them as “canon”, lol...

3. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Yes they are canon.

I've also read some of the canon books, comics, and watched Rebels. I was one of the people excited that Ashoka Tano was one of the Jedi voices in the new movie. Part of the fun IMO.

BeatleJWOL and David Campbell like this.
  4. Voted "not interested" as I haven't even seen the current (new) film, nor even the last one (episode 8, I suppose it was).

But how could they be anything other than cannon?

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  5. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

No, this is based on Bea Arthur.

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I don't really care what's considered canon. I *do* think that anything without Lucas writing the story is basically fan fic.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Darren Richardson likes this.
  7. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

I only consider the original trilogy to be canon.

8. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

It's canon until the inevitable reboot down the line.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  9. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Don't know how anyone's opinion of a film has a bearing on if they're "canon" which seems like a very nerdy and babyish alternative to just not watching movies you don't like / don't care about.

Ultimately the shared universe model was a smart one for Disney to make even if their big tentpole entries weren't the best executions of it. Lots of ST haters are big fans of The Mandalorian which is clearly building towards some ST plotlines. Would it make any sense to the average audience for it to just start telling a new story because some internet folks didn't like the movies?

10. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I know what *would* make sense - someone remaking The Last Jedi and officially eliminating the currently piece of garbage from the SW history.

Anthrax likes this.
  11. zombiemodernist

Isn't that pretty much the whole point The Rise of Skywalker?

I am a fan of TLJ and not so much of TRoS but I can just elect not to watch it, it's quite easy to do.

12. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

I don't consider them not being canon because I didn't enjoy the latest trilogy. I thoroughly enjoyed the three latest movies, and LOVED "The Rise of Skywalker"! I just don't view them as canon... I guess because Lucas wasn't involved, and also because it's been 40 years since the originals.

13. NettleBed

I don't want it destroyed just for me - but for everyone. Future generations should not be subjected to it.

twicks likes this.
  14. zombiemodernist

I get that POV, they're certainly not as legitimate or meaningful as the ones Lucas was making to me either. I think it's a shame we didn't get to see his vision for the series and instead got one delivered by a soulless studio, however good the outcome was.

I guess by "canon" I'm saying that the ST should obviously be assumed to have "happened" in all future media in the universe. Lots of the murmuring online like the post above yours seems to imply they should not have "happened" and should somehow "unhappen" in the fictional universe. That just sounds like a big mess to me.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  15. zombiemodernist

LOL, very selfless of you, but I promise they'll be fine. I was born in the 90s and grew up with the PT. The first SW film I saw was The Phantom Menace and I even had a Jar Jar action figure and LEGO set. AFAIK people said the same stuff then about that film!

People will make up their own opinions over time, and perception of films will likely change. I think TLJ will endure outside of the SW fanbase as long as Johnson keeps his strong track record up.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  16. NettleBed

??? I consider Johnson's films to be almost uniformly terrible.

17. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

ehh I guess its still canon for people who care about this stuff, its kind of like when national lampoon signed away their name, theres still some quality control, this is just the beginning...wait until the real money grab in a few years 'star wars presents lukes booty call'

[​IMG]

More Than A Feeling likes this.
  18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I lost interest in Star Wars when I saw The Phantom Menace in theater when it was released. My interest was briefly piqued when The Force Awakens came out, but after the initial adrenaline rush I concluded that there was no longer a story worth telling there. From what I understand about the last trilogy, Star Wars has got to be one of most squandered opportunities ever.

YardByrd likes this.
  19. Tim Crowley

Tim Crowley Forum Resident

Yes, I accept it- Why deny what's there? Doesn't mean I have to like it, though.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  20. zombiemodernist

Key word there is "I". Believe it or not people have differing opinions on films and filmmakers.

Not to harp on this very tired point, but your opinion is also in the minority here. His films been well received critically since Brick came out (besides perhaps Brothers Bloom), and his episodes of Breaking Bad are regularly considered to be some of the best of all time by TV fans and critics. Most of his reputation was built up far before the ridiculous TLJ controversy and one divisive film doesn't tend to undo a director's reputation.

BeatleJWOL and Zoot Marimba like this.
  21. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Rian didn't write those Breaking Bad episodes. Crucial, crucial difference.

FACE OF BOE likes this.
  22. NettleBed

He's a hack director of little talent, though he has pretensions (the very w0rst kind of hack). Brick was one of the worst films of the 2000s that I saw; just real garbage that was literally uncomfortable to watch. It made me feel embarrassed for the people acting in it.

Ozymandias was easily the worst breaking bad episode in the series, notable mostly for having characters behave in ways that were completely undermining what had been established. Par for the course, though, for a director who ignores established precedent and just does whatever he wants.

FACE OF BOE likes this.
  23. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

Yeah, I completely agree with you. I know everyone is different, but I don't get the extreme hate for "Rise". I think it's just a sign of the times and how everything is completely polarized and extreme these days. It's like the internet (and social media especially) creates this narrative and everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and runs with it... "Oh, "The Rise of Skywalker" must be bad... Youtube is full of videos of people screaming about it so it must be so." I'm not saying people here are doing that, but it does seems like once that narrative starts and everyone runs with it, it's hard for people to stand on their own and disagree with the masses.

I grew up on the original trilogy... At 11 years old, I rode my bike to the quad-plex seven times to see "Empire" in the theater the summer of 1980. I'm not saying any of the most recent trilogy even come close to the originals (maybe "ROTJ"), but I thought they were decent entertaining movies. Sure they were kind of rehashes of the originals, but they still hold up on their own. Kevin Smith is a huge Star Wars fan and if you have a couple of hours to watch, his review of the TROS is pretty much how I feel about it...

24. zombiemodernist

I wasn't a big fan of TRoS, mostly due the the breakneck pace which didn't sit well with me, but I still liked it more than I disliked it. I read a few of the professional reviews of the film after I got out on opening day and wasn't surprised to find most of the critique was around the pacing / editing, because that was what bothered me.

I think state of online fan "reviews" comes from a complete lack of film literacy and skill at critiquing in which few can see nuance. Most old school film critics write paragraphs if not more before giving a rating which often feels like a cheap distillation of their deeper point just to appease the skimmers. In films like these there are so many creators and collaborators its silly to throw the whole thing in the garbage because you didn't like some aspects. At the very least all three have amazing music, set design, character design, cinematography and performances. That's why I keep watching Star Wars even if I don't love the plot or editing of a particular film, there's just so much there, its hard to not enjoy any of it.

25. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Contains Baby Yoda it does not
    ...canonical it is not.

delmonaco and Vidiot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.