Barnes & Noble in-store Bl. Fri. music deals?

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Black Elk, Nov 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

Before NYE I called and got a guy who said no vinyl were on sale. God will judge him.

Called today and a nice lady said there was. I went by after work and got:

* The Kinks- Kink Kontroversy (Kevin Grey mono)

* Singles OST

* Van Morrison- It's Too Late To Stop Now Vol. 1

* Sleater-Kinney s/t

*Elliott Smith- XO (that will probably be going back because apparently the mastering is trash)

I put back a lot of stuff. Some stuff I saw I already had, like that amazing RTI pressed Dusty In Memphis. Maybe we should set up a B/N clearance swap meet lol

Gaslight, dee, longdist01 and 2 others like this.
  2. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

The register is the ultimate arbiter; much of what's 50% has no sticker. Just take it to checkout and have them confirm.

Bloom likes this.
  3. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Damn it, I am weak: killed my lunch hour grabbing these (the one on top is Radiohead "I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings"

[​IMG]

4. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

And some that isn’t supposed to be 50% off has the sticker. Picked up one of those just now, Bruce Springsteen Greatest Hits. Cashier honors the discount, as they should. And the 10% members discount works on the mis-marks where it doesn’t on those in the system. $13.49, good times!

dee, black sheriff and superstar19 like this.
  5. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

That happened to me with the Wilco - Star Wars. It rang up full price at the register. I don’t think the B&N exclusive red vinyl was supposed to be discounted. The cashier honored the 50% off.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    dee, hutlock and SJP like this.
  6. dee

dee Senior Member

I asked about 1 title that wasn't stickered and not part of the 50% off grouping - U2s Achtung Baby. Not 50% off.

I have wondered about some 'store display' titles where I saw the 2LP Imagine, a few Ramones, Patti Smith's Horses, a Wes Montgomery single LP from Resonance label...

Have seen much Floyd, Macca, Krall, Rush, all the Dylan sings Sinatra LPs, Beck, Replacements, Sinatra...

7. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

i had one store that refused to honor it, was actually a CD box set (sgt peppers) mixed in with the vinyl clearance had the sticker the cashier called the manager and he ripped that sticker off fast tried to apologize but passive aggressively acted like i might have swapped the stickers saying "some people swap them" and its super obvious. i just said thanks and left, i was fairly sure it was a mistake but i thought i'd try.

2 other stores had vinyl marked half off that wasnt and they immediately looked at the sticker called the manager on the radio who said honor it and problem solved.

as a heads up to people if you're looking for a title mentioned here but dont see it in the half off section, check the stacks. some stocks been missed from being marked, i think maybe when they find more in the back or things that were misplaced.

8. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

A week later the stickers were on. I couldn't resist picking up a short stack on Tuesday.

Kurt Vile & Courtney Barnett - Lotta Sea Lice
    Beck - Mutations
    Joe Bonamassa - Different Shades of Blue
    Joe Bonamassa - Redemption
    Jet - Get Born
    Spoon - Hot Thoughts
    Jack White - Boarding House Reach

Trying to resist the urge to stop in again tonight.

superstar19 and black sheriff like this.
  9. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

In California, a retailer is obligated by law to honor the posted price. Unsure if this would include a discount sticker but it stands to reason that would be a dispute most retailers would want to avoid.

The Pepper box was clearly mismarked as it was CDs and the sale is on vinyl but a snarky cashier who suggests tag switching could have been met with “prove that I switched it and if you cannot, you shall honor the discount.”

10. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

I was eyeing some Joe Bonamassa and Beck records. I may go back for a few more.

Kyhl likes this.
  11. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I was eyeing the Joe records for a while but couldn't take the pain of the prices. This made it easier to afford what were a couple $35 doubles.

Note, the Beck - Mutations came with a hi-res download code, that expired on 12/31/2019. I tried it last night. No download for me.

superstar19 and black sheriff like this.
  12. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

The store that I went to didn’t have a 50% off section, they had them all mixed in with the regular priced stuff. So I had to go through EVERYTHING. It was fun though.

superstar19 and Kyhl like this.
  13. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

Completely off topic of the Barnes and Noble sale but relevant to the discussion of pricing, a few years ago I was in Best Buy and they had a huge sign on their display of CD box sets that read “CD Box Sets at $29”. Not “from” or “starting at” or “as low as” but “AT”.

I asked the clerk which ones are $29. He said based on the sign all of them.

So I grabbed Grateful Dead So Many Roads and the purple Hendrix box and went to the counter. Of course they rung up at $89 and $69 or something. I politely showed them the sign. It had been placed in front of the wrong box sets. It should have been on an end cap with Billy Joel, Simon and Garfunkel, and Aerosmith Pandora Box.

They were not real happy but they price adjusted accordingly.

14. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

yeah, it was midly annoying and i felt it was a mistake anyway so i didnt argue but had he been a little bit less snarky i would have told him other cd box sets also were in the section and had 50% off stickers :)

15. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

i had the same thing with a NIN i bought before the 31 but only opened on new years...code was invalid. several of the codes have been expired but most have worked.

DaleClark and slashdot87 like this.
  16. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Interestingly, the Roswell (Atlanta suburb) BN did not ring up the Crosby, Stills & Nash (couch) at 50%. I asked them to please check with another are store (Perimeter); they called them and that store also had it at full price. I mentioned that this was discounted at many other BNs around the city and country, and that it's curious there are differences if they all use (I assume) the same computer system. I am guessing that there might be an algorithm that changes the price based on day of the week / time of day / how much demand for a particular title, etc.
    I picked it up anyway since it was a bit out of my way and the SHF reviews are mostly very good.

passion4music likes this.
  17. AdamChanSiuLung

AdamChanSiuLung Forum Resident

After visiting about 6 different B&Ns here in New York City over the past week, I ended up getting:

Wings at the Speed of Sound 2 LP
    One of the Lonely Ones - Roy Orbison
    Pipes of Peace 2 LP - Paul McCartney
    A Day Without Rain - Enya
    Flowers in the Dirt 2 LP - Paul McCartney

I was tempted to get the George Harrison albums I saw (Cloud Nine, Brainwashed, and Living in the Material World), a few other Enya albums, and Playback: The Brian Wilson Anthology but decided to pass. I also passed on The Rutles soundtrack because I picked that up from Amazon UK last year and felt that it should go to someone else.

black sheriff and slashdot87 like this.
  18. smarone313

smarone313 Forum Resident

Last year, during the BN 50% off CD sale, I tried the purchase the Fleetwood Mac Super Deluxe. To my disappointment, They would not honor the discount, though admittedly it had a vinyl album along with 3 CDs and a DVD. This year, the same store still had that item in stock and had it tagged at 50%. Happy ending for me!

davers and black sheriff like this.
  19. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Given what I’ve read in the thread, it looks like they are discounting everything that was brought in before a certain date and hasn’t sold. So it stands to reason that it would go store by store rather than a national master list. Different stores in different areas sell different numbers of different titles. Makes total sense to me why a title might be half price at one store and not at another. Maybe one store got one and never sold it, while another sold out of it initially, got more, and just happens to still have stock on hand.

dkmonroe likes this.
  20. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

yeah one worker who was pricing them who was super nice was telling me they had just suddenly been told to check every vinyl and anything they've had for like a year or more was being flagged half off

dkmonroe, hutlock and dee like this.
  21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Just to be clear: the sale's only stuff with vinyl, not pure CD sets, right?

22. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Ahhh
    Ahhh, that explains why I saw two of the same title with only one of them tagged 50% off.

I got Laura Nyro’s “Eli ...” (the Analog Spark pressing), ZZ Top’s first, Jim James George Harrison Tribute and Rhiannon Gidden’s “Freedom Highway”.
    Had to stop because my wife was with me ... yes, I’m going back by myself.

Whoever gave the initial heads up thank YOU!

dee likes this.
  23. smarone313

smarone313 Forum Resident

The 50% off sale is selected vinyl only. There is a concurrent 30% off all CDs sale.

24. atlantasteven

atlantasteven Mercy Mercy Me

Any word if cd’s will go 50% off again?

25. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

You're just trying to get me back into the store.

Dammit

RubenH and hutlock like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.