Do you accept the new Star Wars trilogy as canon?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by zinger_ghretzel, Jan 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Nope. Not going to happen.

2. The uncanny valley effect with the Peter Cushing sequence in a Rogue One still bugs me. It looks like he has bugs under his skin and a lack of natural motion. I still think they should have recast it as there are a couple actors that could have done it and pulled it off.

Of the spin off films I think Rogue One beats all of the new films except the second one hands down.

Vidiot and zombiemodernist like this.
  3. Oh I disagree. I think The Last Jedi was the best of the three movies. J.J. Tends to be good at taking existing material and reshaping it and the first film felt like a remake of a Star Wars and the Third felt like Return of the Jedi. The second film actually takes some signicsnt risks with the characters that pay off.

4. David Campbell

Oh for Christ sake....it didn't "destroy" anything. Stop being so over dramatic. The original films are there and still Canon. And always will be. No one has taken those films away from you or anyone and burned them.

Don't like the sequels? Don't watch them or acknowledge them. No one is forcing you to like them. Many people do, apparently to the tune of a billion dollars worth of tickets sold for each movie. A movie does not make a billion dollars plus if lots of people didn't go back and watch them over and over to the theater. You don't like them? Tough. Disney isn't going to strike them from Canon because a relatively small but vocal minority can't handle the fact that a Star Wars movie disappointed them. The phantom menace and Attack of the Clones disappointed me upon first viewing,but I got over it.

And I'm sorry,future generations, particularly the kids growing up with these films, will love and accept these films as part of the larger tapestry of Star Wars just as the kids who grew up in the early 00s see the prequels in the same light. For them there isn't PT or OT...it's just Star Wars. Such will be with the sequels. If that upsets and offends you....well that's your problem.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  5. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

6. David Campbell

Only Star Wars fans:

TFA: OMG it's too much like the original Star Wars! The next one better be different and take risks or else! F&$@ JJ Abrams!

TLJ: OMG it was too different! It took too many risks!! Also Luke drinking green milk ruined my childhood! Where's my fan service?! It ruined all of JJ's set ups! next one better be more like the old Star Wars or else!

TROS: OMG too much fan service! Why did it retcon so much of the last one!? It's worse than Last Jedi! I didn't want something like the old Star Wars! The next one better be different! F#&k JJ Abrams!!

It's like poetry. It rhymes.

7. zinger_ghretzel

zinger_ghretzel War Is Over, If You Want It. Thread Starter

I’m not a heater of what Disney did with Star Wars.
    In fact, I believe the force awakens is really good for a starting point, last Jedi visually is a master piece, but... well didn’t like it. And the rise is the best movie that they can made based on the previews two movies, a truly enjoyd it. So, it was a very good closure.
    In retrospective I wish that the all trilogy were different.

BeatleJWOL and David Campbell like this.
  8. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I didn't say that it destroyed anything.

9. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Good question.
    In a word, NO.

10. Django

Django Forum Resident

I voted not interested because my interest in Star Wars ended after return of the Jedi. I was still in single digits. I do like the original 3 films (empire being the best). Phantom was a disaster The rest I've seen were okay. I haven't seen any of them since revenge of the sith & those were on TV.

11. David Campbell

Ok I misread that quote, but you were still being over dramatic that future generations would be "suffering" if TLJ and the sequels are still canon for future generations.

I think people actually will be perplexed in 20-30 years at why TLJ was that controversial. At worst it'll be likely seen as just a mediocre episode of the Star Wars saga. I think if these posts are still out on the interwebs at that time,people will be laughing at the over the top hand wringing and hissy fits that movie caused both pro and con.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  12. David Campbell

Exactly. Very well put.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  13. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Canon is canon, it's not up to us.
    I don't enjoy the sequel trilogy for a number of reasons, but it is what it is.

BeatleJWOL and David Campbell like this.
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't agree, but that's funny.

It's interesting to ponder that in the decades after Star Wars, Lucasfilm approved hundreds of novelizations and comic books that continued various storylines in the "Extended Universe," but once Disney bought the rights in 2012, they sterilized all of those stories, said they were no longer canon, and then literally rewrote the book as to what happened before and after the classic original films.

Star Wars: Why Lucasfilm ditched the Expanded Universe

If you asked me if all the movies were "canon," I'd say, "ya know, it's all a bunch of bullspit that people made up. It's just a movie. It's not life. It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. But I still bought into it when I was in the theater watching it. It was basically, 'OK, so then that happened.' It didn't bother me that much, because my life didn't depend on it."

Let's face it: even George Lucas himself wrote and made crappy movies at one point, so it's not like there's any consistency or any high quality level being maintained. There's a degree of "fling crap at the wall and see if it sticks" with a lot of ongoing film series. Some of it works, some of it doesn't, but at some point you gotta just move on and let it go.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  15. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

While not my favorite trilogy, I accept it for what it’s worth.

I’ve been rewatching the entire saga on Disney+ and about to retread the sequels. I-VI has been satisfying and it makes for a complete story. While the sequels aren’t my favorite, I still enjoy them.

David Campbell likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ah, but are you watching it in release order, or in episode order? Even that is hotly debated among fans.

I have to say, for people who weren't around in the 1980s, some of the ones I know don't have as many problems as I did with the prequels. They just accept them as different movies, whereas I was completely appalled. I think the recent sequels were actually better than George Lucas' prequels, but that's me. If I say they suck, a younger viewer will dismiss me with "OK, boomer," and that's that.

Will anybody give a crap in 50 years? That's a good question.

David Campbell and wayneklein like this.
  17. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

The true original films - as in the versions initially released back in '77, '80, and '83 respectively - have been taken away from us... does that count?

18. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

The original trilogy as shown in the cinema at the time is Star Wars to me. Along with the toys I played with as a child in the 80s and that's it.

Luckily the original Star Wars and Return of the Jedi are now available in 4K through bittorrent (4K77, 4K83). The Empire Strikes Back will follow in time.

19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Surely it just is.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  20. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Star Wars is just a work of fiction. Regarding certain works of fiction in isolation, possibly in relation to how they were experienced at the time by those alive, is not denying reality.

21. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

What does matter in the grand scheme of things, and, by the way, what is the grand scheme of things?

22. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

I watch it in episode order. I didn’t know that was a hot topic.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  23. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Episodes 7, 8, and 9 are a billion times better than Episodes 1, 2, and 3. Those are just hard to watch.

24. David Campbell

Sort of. However that can only be laid at George Lucas' feet,not Disney.

Even through with the special Editions,the story told remains unchanged. So technically the movies remain there. Just with stuff that one can take or leave. Frankly the only special edition changes I can't abide were the ones made to JEDI ( Jedi Rocks? Ugh ) I actually mostly prefer the special edition to Empire,so make of that what you will.

However,even so, there are ways to go obtain those initial cuts.

Still,the easiest way Disney can unite the fandom is release the original cuts in the near future officially. I have no doubt it'll eventually happen. Just a matter of when.

Actually I'll take it back. I will bet money that the Fandom Menace will find some way to spin a release of the originals as evil and bad, because" Disney always bad". They'll try and label it as being disrespectful to George by going against his wishes that the special Editions are the only ones commercially available. I can almost see the spin now percolating in the either.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  25. David Campbell

From a technical movie making standpoint,no question. The sequels are better made films from an acting, cinematography, editing, dialogue...etc

Story wise,that's far more objective.

I'd say the prequels have a potentially fantastic story which is undermined by execution. The sequels are the opposite as a trilogy. A haphazardly put together storyline that is mostly saved by it's execution.

The originals have their flaws (particularly ROTJ),but it's a more consistent balance between both story and execution.

delmonaco, nosliw and The Hermit like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.