The Kinks - Lola vs Powerman & The Moneygoround 50th anniversary... predictions, suggestions, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by slop101, Jan 3, 2020.

1. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek Thread Starter

Well, we're finally at this album's 50th anniversary, and I hope they're working on something, as this is the only truly classic, rock album I can think of that doesn't have a readily available vinyl release.

I know there's a ton of material out there that they could do a box set that would put Arthur's to shame.
    Honestly though, I just want a really well-mastered AAA vinyl re-issue.

Odds of a proper release this year? And if so, what would the release contain?

2. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Andrew Sandoval pretty much confirmed a box is coming in 2020 in a couple of interviews he did last year.

I’ve got to admit, at this stage I’m not that excited about a Lola vs P etc box in the same way I was about an Arthur one.. I’m not sure where the definite ‘ton of material that would put Arthur to shame’ you refer to would be coming from... the SE from about 5 or so years back already unearthed unknown contemporary songs (Anytime, Good Good Life) that would’ve otherwise have been highlights of such a box and with that SE already filling out proceedings with the Percy material it doesn’t fill me with confidence that there’s much more content from this era to be uncovered. I didn’t realise until the last time this was discussed that there apparently isn’t even a true mono version of the album so again I’m wondering how they’re gonna fill up a full box. Going on the past 2 boxes, a 1970 demos medley and 21st century Ray Davies solo reworkings of songs are likely to feature but surely they would have to pull out a bit more to fill 4 or so discs, even with the Percy stuff.

Still these boxes so far have offered some surprises so I’ll still be watching developments with interest. Just speaking as a fan with my own preferences, I don’t feel there’s as many unanswered questions about this era as there was about Arthur so I don’t see how this phase gets ‘filled out’ by a box in the same way but I’d love to be proved wrong. Apparently recordings did begin for a volume 2 (though details are thin on the ground) so maybe there’s some mileage there for unknown stuff. I always suspected the Vol 2 stuff bled over into Percy recordings but who knows. They could also go the DVD route on this one and bung songs clips, Long Distance Piano Player and even (dare to dream) the Percy film itself on there. That would definitely get me interested!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  3. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

There never was a Something Else or a Face to Face box was there? I wouldn't mind seeing either of those one day as well.

4. TimeWarper

TimeWarper A Well Respected Man

We didn't know about the session tapes (remixes) and demos for the Village Green album. I'm sure they'll find something.

Brettlowden, Surferghost and ajsmith like this.
  5. TimeWarper

TimeWarper A Well Respected Man

I don't think we will unless The Beatles go back to Rubber Soul and Revolver.

tug_of_war likes this.
  6. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

Mostly stuff we have heard before, a few new mixes, a medley comprised of snippets of demos and 6 newly recorded tracks featuring Ray singing with a children’s choir.

bpmd1962, croquetlawns and ajsmith like this.
  7. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

What's the best single-disc CD reissue to date?

8. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I'm hoping there's live material available. They must have been gigging to support their #1 single, but I've never seen a list of shows during this period. John Gosling was in the band by then, so they certainly could have toured.

I'd be in for 6-10 discs of Kinks live shows in a 50th box.

bpmd1962 and joeym3 like this.
  9. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

This one came out in 2014 which I purchased already owning the Essential/Castle Communications releases of Lola and Percy. I only gained a couple
    songs I didn't have but thought it was worth it. Until the next anniversary release it's a good addition to your Kink's Kollection.
    [​IMG]

The Hud, Carlox, malco49 and 7 others like this.
  10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

After the desasterous "Village Green" box set I'm done with The Kinks anniversary releases. They should do a nice AAA vinyl reissue. To get this album in stores again. Not going to happen.

Lachezar likes this.
  11. Mikey471

Mikey471 Forum Resident

Do the tapes exist to allow the full album to be remixed? If so I suspect this would account for 1 extra disc.

12. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

‘Disasterous’? I remember it being pretty well received by most fans who got it and it performed well in the press. Or do you mean you didn’t like it personally? I had issues with it (oversized nothingy book, gigantic package loaded with vinyl and ephemera in general causing me guilt) but I thought the actual musical content on the CDs was pretty strong. Even total nerds like me got several discs of fascinating all new content to pore over and to a casual fan I imagine it would have been mind blowing. It might not have had everything on my wish list but the musical side was clearly assembled with much care and boasted loads of new content.

tedg65, Mazzy, Surferghost and 8 others like this.
  13. Neonbeam

I thought it looked shoddy, really cheap. I'm also not a fan of reissue vinyl that has that plastic "Record Store Day" look. The sleeves looked like counterfeits and the missing photo was the final straw. The whole set just had "F.A.K.E." written all over it. Returned it instantly.

An album like that would have deserved a more sympathetic authentic treatment. But... hey... people loved it. "Boxset of the year", my a**! :evil:

Sci-Fi Kid likes this.
  14. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Fair enough. I'm not much into reissue vinyl (of any kind) either but I thought the actual content on the CDs was very good stuff in the main. The 7 inch sized Arthur box weighed less heavily on my existential soul as a package.

tedg65, Cervelo and Syscrusher like this.
  15. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Good point, I should have noted remembered that in my post above. The last 2 boxes featured remixes from the multis of most of and half the album respectively, so a similar representation for LVPATM would seem like a safe bet.

Mikey471 likes this.
  16. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

They toured a lot in the US in 197o, and there are audience tapes out there, but after the Arthur set didn't make any use of the 1969 audience tapes, I wouldn't bet on the Lola box having any of this kind of live content. The Arthur book even had a whole section written by Doug Hinman on their 1969 US tour, which you'd think would have tied in nicely with a live disc on the set. My guess is that Ray wasn't happy with releasing the variable quality (both in performance and fidelity) live evidence of the tour.

Surferghost likes this.
  17. Neonbeam

Wasn't a fan of those hybrid boxes but the last two I bought - "Origin Of Muse" & "G Stands For Go-Betweens Vol.2" - convinced me that they can be done tastefully. Even if they are digitally sourced.

ajsmith likes this.
  18. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek Thread Starter

Yeah, I got that back when it came out.
    In fact, Lola's been one of my favorite albums of all time, so I have a bunch of different versions of it - a few CDs and even a couple cassette tapes somewhere.
    Back in the '80s, I had a vinyl, but it's long gone. And that's why I really just want a nice all-analog vinyl (hopefully mastered by someone like Kevin Gray like they did with the mono set).

Brettlowden and polchik like this.
  19. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Looked fine to me, not cheap at all. Masses of vinyl, loads of CDs, nice printed content, but a missing photo? *The horror.

* which they replaced very quickly anyway

20. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

I’d like to see Ray and Dave write and release Lola vs. Powerman & the Moneygoround VOL. 2! We’ve been waiting 50 years! ;)

21. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Or at least call the 50th anniversary edition Part II.

ajsmith likes this.
  22. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I know I am probably on my own, but I would love some Kinks in 5.1. This album would be an excellent place to start

23. Neonbeam

So we've all got different tastes. Good for you if you were happy with it. I'm glad I got rid of it because - and I'll stand by that - it was one of the cheapest looking "deluxe" sets I've ever seen. Those sleeves, please! :help:

24. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

I asked Andrew Sandoval two days ago if there was going to be a Lola box. He said he wasn't sure yet.

25. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Agree. This box is still out on my coffee table so I can look at it and play the magic within.

Cervelo, croquetlawns and adm62 like this.