Favorite photos of the WHO. Do we have a thread like this? My fave pic of Pete...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

[​IMG]

Anaheim 1970- LA Times press photo

2. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Joe Walsh and Keith Moon backstage at Detroit's Cobo Arena on July 5th, 1970. Walsh's band the James Gang opened for The Who. Photo, as noted by Frank Pettis.

[​IMG]

Chris M, parman, Stones Blah and 14 others like this.
  3. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

On this date 51 years ago, The Who performed at the Marquee Club in London, UK on December 17th, 1968. This would end up being their last performance at the Marquee. Supporting by the band Yes.

The lineup of Yes at this time were singer Jon Anderson, bassist Chris Squire, guitarist Peter Banks, keyboardist Tony Kaye, and drummer Bill Bruford. The Who had played on the same bill with Yes 5 times between October 25th and December 17th, 1968. While The Who had some days off prior to the Marquee Christmas Party gig, Pete Townshend and Peter Banks ran into each other at a club called Revolution in Mayfair where Yes were playing the previous night.

Peter Banks said:

"I was always pleased to play on the same building as The Who and actually I was such a fan of Who that I was intimidated by the band. When I used to go and see them play, because there was a regular crowd and sometimes there were too many people in the crowd, and occasionally Pete Townshend would kind of nod at me, and I didn’t nod back , I felt too shy. I kind of knew Keith Moon, but once again I was in the same pub as him but I never said much to him. But I was such a big fan of the whole band. Actually I didn’t meet Townshend until Yes played a club in Mayfair. A horrible, typical late 60’s after club, snobbish ‘in’ club called The Revolution. And at the end of the first set I remember walking downstairs to get a drink at the bar and somebody hit me very hard over the head and when I turned around to hit the person back thinking ‘Who’s the ?’ and it was Pete Townshend! And he said: ‘You guys are great, come and have a drink!’ And I was just amazed cause I didn’t even know he was there for a start and he said: ‘Why are you playing here? This place is horrible!’ So we had a couple of drinks together and he was raving about how much he liked the band, particularly about my guitar playing, and I was very flattered."

"During our gigs together Pete would announce us and say: ‘This is the best band I’ve heard for a long time’. And he would say: ‘Watch out the guitar player, he’s very good’ (laugh). Of course I loved this, ’cause I was still playing the Rickenbacker and the early days I used to throw the thing around in the air and catch it and all that kind of stuff. So that was great! For me particularly, one of my real heroes saying how much he liked my playing, that was quite something." ~ From 'Peter Banks Archives:The Marquee Club interview' January 2007, originally appearing on the Marquee Club's official website.

[​IMG]

4. Jon H.

Jon H. Forum Resident

Can I LOVE a post instead of just "like" it?

I love early Yes, and of course I adore The Who! The Peter Banks story is amazing. Oh, to be in London in that golden age (1965 - 1970). The good old Marquee stage - bet the mighty Who boys were LOUD!

This photo, along with the "Ronnie Scott's" club gig of the UK Tommy launch for the press, makes me want to reach for the earplugs!

petem1966, marmalade166 and slipkid like this.
  5. Jon H.

Jon H. Forum Resident

Incredible photo.

Incredible musicians, in their prime. Wonder if Joe has seen this photo?

Two great bands on the same bill. Take me back, time machine!!!

parman, keifspoon and slipkid like this.
  6. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow, never saw that, great shot!

reb and keifspoon like this.
  8. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

9. Radagast

Radagast Forum Resident

I didn't know the Who and Yes had this direct connection, and I've been a fan of both for... about 50 years. But I heard a long time ago that Bill Bruford "hated" Keith Moon. If so, why?

PS - I am a big fan of both of those guys as drummers.

10. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

It sounds like his opinion on Moon changed over the years. Here's a question a fan asked Bill back in 2011 on that very subject.

Fabian Broicher – Date: 24.09.2011 – I’ve read somewhere, Bill, I just can’t remember where, that you once wrote “Moon” on one and “Go Home” on the other shoe. Probably in some Yes-related article. Is that a true story? Ever since I read that, I am doing it too, though I’m always getting weird questions regarding why I don’t like the moon as such and/or the night.

Fabian. It’s true! We were all kids once. When I was about 15 I was a jazz snob. The ‘moon’ refers to Keith Moon of the Who, whose drumming I didn’t like. I’ve since revised my opinion in this area, as in many other areas!

Radagast, marmalade166 and slipkid like this.
  11. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I loved Roger's stories about his estate from his autobiography. Especially the chamois rag vest.

12. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I need to read that book.

mdm08033 likes this.
  13. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

It’s good but it IS photoshopped...

All Down The Line likes this.
  14. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yes I'd love to see the shot with Townshend's A-frame ladder returned from it's air brushing!

15. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I suggest the audio book, read by Roger. It's like a long chat down at the pub.

16. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Keith Moon with the Beachcombers, Kodak theatre Wealdstone 1963. Notice the weight to secure the bass drum in the first picture. Obviously this was not enough, as there were five in the second!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Herman Schultz, Zack, slipkid and 9 others like this.
  17. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I always wondered where Moon got the idea of playing cymbals across the front of his kit rather than riding on a single cymbal. I'm guessing it was just the amount of energy he had.

Zack and All Down The Line like this.
  18. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Dear Boy!

19. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

20. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

He did use the bell on the ride cymbal early on when he had the smaller kit. Later on as his kit got bigger, he seemed to lose interest in it and seemed to use it just like another crash cymbal.

21. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Hamhead likes this.
  22. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

On this date 50 years ago, The Who perform at the Theater des Westens in Berlin, Germany on January 28th, 1970 -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

The Who perform at the Isle of Wight Festival in England on Aug. 30th, 1969.

[​IMG]

24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Has there ever been a guitar player more animated, more fun to watch, than Pete? Just look at those photos above, or others in this thread. I can't think of anyone...

beatleswho and parman like this.
  25. parman

parman Music Junkie

What's the real story about this pic? I read they fell asleep during a photo shoot but I think it's staged :shrug:

mdm08033 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.