Target's Heydey $99 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jmobrien68, Dec 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylfilmaholic

vinylfilmaholic Forum Resident

My stereo rig is nothing special but I shall try!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. vinylfilmaholic

vinylfilmaholic Forum Resident

So I’ve decided that the table is going back to Target. Now hear me out first...

If you want to get your kids into collecting records or what not for a decent price, this is a good turntable. But for me, some things I didn’t like. The tonearm is very wobbly, lot of play in this one. Off center records sound even more off pitch with it. Any sound the table makes will be transferred into the Bluetooth signal. I didn’t test it with the RCA outs though. Also, the table does have an auto stop but it’s similar to the ones suitcase tables have. Not a fan of that.

So for me, it didn’t suit my needs but I’m telling you guys don’t poopoo it, because its a pretty decent table for teens, kids and college students for sure.

SpeedMorris and 2trackmind like this.
  3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

A wobbly tonearm is a bad sign, and pitch issues is something not even young people should put up with. After all, if they are just getting started, they should have better representation of what the format can give them, lest they eventually just move back to digital.

vinylfilmaholic, PhilBiker and nosliw like this.
  4. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

U-Turn's starting to look better and better, isn't it? :bdance:

5. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

I wonder how this 'table compares to the Sony PS-LX350H that was on sale on Amazon a few years back for $63.00.

6. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Best Buy is selling that model right now for $79. It's the same basic design as the AT-LP60 and numerous other turntables that have been around since 1993, just in a larger chassis. Opinions vary, but most people are happy with them, and even audiophiles like Michael Fremer and Steve Guttenberg say they're good beginner turntables.

As for the Heyday turntable, I think it gives you all the hassle of a fully adjustable tonearm with none of the benefits, because while it's not bad for a $99 turntable, it's apparently not really worth putting a better phono cartridge on, even if it's capable of it. Also, some of the reviews on Target's web site indicate that people buying it don't really grasp the concept of zero-balancing the tonearm, and are just blindly twiddling with the counterweight until it can play their records without sounding horrible or skipping. I think beginners like that would be better served with turntables like the Sony and AT-LP60 which come with a tonearm that is pre-adjusted at the factory.

rischa, Dan C and vinylfilmaholic like this.
  7. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

My older daughter has been hinting for a turntable for a while now. I was considering the cheap Sony at Best Buy (I actually have one as a backup, and it sounds better than it ever should at that price...I particularly enjoy playing 45s on it).

After seeing this thread I looked into the Heyday. It's the Bluetooth that eventually convinced me this is the one for her, as well as its simple, modern looks.

We gave it to her for Xmas along with a few LPs I knew she'd like. My old copy of The Beatles "1", an old Greek copy of Queen's Greatest Hits (it's a little too well loved for me, I'm going to buy a new one) and The Killers "Hot Fuss". The Killers is like catnip to every white Millennial ever. Seriously, ever been in a bar with a much of Millennials when "Mr. Brightside" comes on the TouchTunes? It's hilarious.

Anyway, she absolutely loves the turntable. I did coach her on how to balance the tonearm, and the above post is totally correct about newbies just setting it up until it doesn't skip. Yikes! But she's got it set up properly.

She's wired it into an older little Sony CD dorm system and also uses the Bluetooth to play it through the Alexa in their kitchen that her mom gave her. She sent me some Snapchats of it running.

She's in Denver, and yesterday she told me she and her boyfriend were going to Wax Trax in Denver to buy more LPs. This is the kid who used to HATE when I'd slip into a record store when she was little. Now she's a new fan. :righton:

dan c

8. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I read this as great for kids or even the want to be audiophile with very little friends. Time for new glasses...

9. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Thanks for ruining your daughter's life. Ha ha ha, no seriously, nice work, Dad. You'll have only yourself to blame when you're helping her move them all from apartment to apartment.

PhilBiker, bever70 and Dan C like this.
  10. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Maybe it should read; "great for kids or even the want to be audiophile with very little real audiophile friends." :laugh:

11. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Love reading stories like this.

71 years running and the appeal of LPs goes on and on and on. . .

PhilBiker, SpeedMorris, Dan C and 2 others like this.
  12. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Bought it for my 13 year old daughter. I’m going to hook it up tonight

PhilBiker, SJP, Dan C and 5 others like this.
  13. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

I discovered the Heyday turntable is manufactured by Leetac, the company which also makes the turntable mechanisms used in antique-style all-in-one systems (Crosley, Victrola, etc.). Its model number is E-E490.

[​IMG]

14. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Somehow, I am not shocked. :sigh:

This is as I guessed way back in post #18.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    beat_truck, Aftermath and uzn007 like this.
  15. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

16. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

So I know I kind of shat on the Heyday a few months ago, but I bought a new receiver for my 10-year old and the Heyday actually sounds pretty good through it for for 99 bucks.

Here's a clip of Three Dog Night (and just for fun I'll post a couple more below):

The receiver is a Sony STR-DH190, $150, speakers are Andrew Jones Pioneer bookshelf speakers, $99. The Heyday is playing through the phono-stage in the Sony. Not a bad little starter system and the kids can even play their iTunes playlists through the Sony via bluetooth.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Dan C, PhilBiker, superstar19 and 2 others like this.
  17. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Alan Parsons (and my 3-year old daughter in the background):

Dan C, PhilBiker and superstar19 like this.
  18. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Queen:

Dan C, PhilBiker and superstar19 like this.
  19. hifitommy

hifitommy Forum Resident

for a HUNDRED? not bad with a counterweight and antiskate. i can see gettng a skeptical person agreeing to see if this works well enough and then going on UP from there to a serious tt like a used technics or pio which can really lead someone into the hobby with a hands on approach.

20. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Forgot about this thread...

The Heydey I got for my kids (as seen upthread) ended up not holding speed and had tracking issues. I swapped it out for the $100 Sony (can't remember model number), and overall it's been working well, though it doesn't always hold the correct speed either.

regore beltomes and PhilBiker like this.
  21. MKHopkins

MKHopkins Break out the Hats and Hooters

Picked up one of these yesterday so I can listen to my vinyl while working upstairs (main system is downstairs).

Apparent problem with power to the motor- once belt was hooked up, turntable didn't turn although it did connect to bluetooth. Drive spindle wasn't doing anything. Took it back but they only had the one. Bought a replacement online and will try again.

PhilBiker likes this.
  22. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

The platter won’t move until you move the tonearm.

PhilBiker and Bill like this.
  23. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

A couple of challengers in the approximate price range.

Our OP did a vid on the fraudulent claims of this one re: the location of the company HQ and fake reviews. They feature Chinese knockoffs of Pro-Ject type arm and platter, along with a fish hook anti-skate. They have BT and non-BT. $120 shipped on eBay, though.

Angels Horn Record Player Vintage Turntable Two-Speed 33 1/3 & 45 Rpm Stereo | eBay

Angels Horn Turntable Vinyl Record Player Bluetooth 2-Speed with Stereo Speaker | eBay

Saw the other one at Amazon. It's a whopping $130. Features auto-return, AT95E, S-shaped tonearm with detachable head, rotary speed control. What could go wrong? The tonearm counterweight and maybe the internal preamp may be iffy. Looks like they're about out, though.

https://www.amazon.com/TCP4530-Turntable-Pre-amplifier-Auto-Return-Audio-Technicas/dp/B077YW5S1Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=techplay+turntable&qid=1593325085&sprefix=techplay&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1

PhilBiker likes this.
  24. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

At least it shouldn’t be a Yugo

25. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

With an "Audio Technical" cartridge, no less! :D

PhilBiker and superstar19 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.