LP Mailers--best type and source?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by gov, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gov

gov Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm going to be selling a bunch of LPs and figured I'd start here first since I've had mostly good experiences buying from SHF.

My question is on mailers--I've seen my LPs bought here and elsewhere arrive with a gamut of mailers--some good and some left much to be desired. Can someone recommend a type and source to buy said type (ideally Amazon if possible)? I'd probably start with 25-50 if that helps.

I'll mostly be selling single LPs but some are of the Analogue Productions and Music Matters gatefold type so if possible, I'd like to make sure both standard LPs and those can fit in whatever I buy. Also, aside from taking the LP out of the sleeve, I was thinking of doing those 12x12 pieces of cardboard for padding. Or is bubble wrap better?

I'd like to be very systematized since bandwidth is low so looking for the best reasonably priced options--I do NOT want to have dissatisfied purchasers because I saved $0.25 per mailer. I appreciate any other tips/guidance from the pros here.

Patrick

2. My Home Townes

My Home Townes Forum Resident

Matt Starr and gov like this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

4. gov

cdash99 and Myke like this.
  5. gov

no issue with the glue? Some reviewers noted it didn’t hold up so they had to use tape anyways.

Is there an easy way to manage shipping labels through PayPal?

I’m total noob to this so trying to figure out the economics of packing shipping and postage.

had no idea the boxes were as expensive as they are! With pads at my volume selling 25 it’s about $3.50 before shipping.

6. My Home Townes

My last order of boxes had no problem with glue. Prior they did, but it seems to be fixed.

I usually buy 50 so it lowers the cost a bit. But I think it’s fair to build some of the cost into shipping. Media mail is @ $3.27. It’s fair to charge $5 for shipping. It’s very convenient to pay for and print shipping labels on PayPal and it’s no extra cost.

I’m glad to see you’re making the effort to ship well. These boxes virtually guarantee that corners won’t get damaged.

gov likes this.
  7. gov

Thanks to you both. I think I’ll go that route plus pads and just tape them.

final question @My Home Townes — are the pads to just add space to snugly fit them? Meaning if I sell say a music matters 45 plus another standard lp and pack it in one of these boxes will that work without pads since they hold up to three? Or do I not want them to be tight AND have no pads?

Huge thanks—want to do this right because I know how I feel as previously only a buyer ;)

8. My Home Townes

Pads aren’t necessary as long as everything is snug to avoid the records from moving. This also avoids seam splits if you are not removing the records and shipping them outside the jacket. I ship most of my records outside the jacket (mostly single vintage records) and always include a pad against the side with the record for extra protection. Hope all this is helpful.

gov and Matt Starr like this.
  9. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034PU6Y8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I buy these in groups of 50 from The Boxery, I also buy their pads. You can get them in 25 or 100 also.

I was waiting for some of their pads on a recent order. Evidently a UPS truck got stuck in the flooding on Hwy 84 near Pendleton OR. My pads are on that truck. I bought a small group of 25 from Royal Mailers in CA to try and get something in my hands as I'm all out.

Whiplash mailers are nice but you need to buy a 125 minimum. They are way too pricey for me. I have a nearby friend that buys them and lets me have 10-15 when I need some. I over pay for them but only use them on high priced vinyl or lots.

Nothing wrong with recycling mailers from purchases you have made. I save all of mine for that exact purpose. No cost!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    black sheriff likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.