POLL: Favorite Moody Blues singles (1964-1973)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Two Sheds, Dec 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deekmon

deekmon Amateur Audio Consumer

• Watching and Waiting/Out and In
    • Question/Candle of Life
    • The Story in Your Eyes/My Song
    • Isn't Life Strange/After You Came
    • Never Comes the Day/So Deep Within You

I just changed my mind, and replaced "Nights in White Satin" with "Never Comes the Day/So Deep Within You"
    after reconsidering how much I like the b-side.

Two Sheds likes this.
  2. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

That 'classic' Moodies version of 'I've Got A Dream' along with 'Bye Bye Bird', 'Really Haven't Got The Time', 'A Beautiful Dream' , 'Leave This Man Alone', 'Love And Beauty' and 'Fly Me High' plus more well known core seven album tracks from BBC sessions, The Tom Jones Show', 'Beat Club' (two tracks from 1966), 'Colour Me Pop' and the French TV show 'Ce Soir On Danse' over 1966-1968 can be found on the 2CD set;
    'Transmissions 1966-1968' Audio Vaults AV201811 available on Amazon

Two Sheds likes this.
  3. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Thanks for the tip about this set! Just ordered it. The videos I found on YouTube from this period (the French show and I think one other source) were a real revelation. I'm looking forward to hearing the BBC and other material.

Two Sheds likes this.
  4. John54

John54 Senior Member

I'm not going to change my vote but I'd like to put in a good word for Everyday (or sometimes Every Day), which I had never heard until it popped up in the charts in the UK no. 1 singles of the '60s thread. Very good song! Give it a listen, it will only take up 1:47 of your time -

MikeM and Two Sheds like this.
  5. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Definitely in my Top 5 of Laine-era songs. I've loved it since the first time I heard it in the early 70s.

Two Sheds and John54 like this.
  6. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Good song...
    That lineup had a lotta good uns..

Two Sheds likes this.
  7. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I don't think I've heard Denny's "I Don't Believe In Miracles." What's that on? At first, I thought maybe he wrote another song Colin Blunstone did so well, ala "Say You Don't Mind" but his "Miracles" is by Russ Ballard.

Two Sheds likes this.
  8. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Correct. Our friend Billo misspoke.

Denny Laine is the composer of "Say You Don't Mind." I've heard his single version, and it's OK, but Colin really made that song his own.

Two Sheds and cwitt1980 like this.
  9. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

It was also in Wings’ live set during their 1972 and 1973 tours, and a nice version if I remember aright.

Two Sheds likes this.
  10. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

I did mean Denny's 'Say You Don't Mind' not the Russ Ballard number tho' they are both in the same 'moody' style - Justin could have sung them both as say his covers on the 'Classic Blue' album

Colin Blunstone's band The Zombies were in a similar style to both original and classic Moodies too - tracks on 'Odyssey and Oracle' like 'Changes' and their song 'Walking in The Sun' feature Rod Argent's haunting and subliminal mellotron work very much like Mike's in The Moodies and Stuart 'Woolly' Wolstenholme in Barclay James Harvest

Two Sheds likes this.
  11. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Nights in White Satin

Two Sheds likes this.
  12. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager

My votes:
    Love And Beauty (and the flip) are really great deep tracks.
    Tuesday Afternoon is good and Another Morning is even better!
    Voices In The Sky and Doctor Livingstone are two of my favorites from Lost Chord.
    Ride My See Saw is very nice. I'm surprised that Simple Game didn't get on the album. It should've taken the place of Visions Of Paradise. I like the Hayward vocal mix even better.
    Story In Your Eyes and My Song are the two best songs on EGBDF and is a great single.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.