Pro-ject NEW 2019 record cleaning machines VC-S2 ALU and VC-E

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stenway, Dec 25, 2019.

1. stenway

stenway Forum Resident Thread Starter

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    The FRiNgE and Rolltide like this.
  2. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

The FRiNgE and stenway like this.
  3. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Yeah. I will have the VC-S2-ALU delivered to me on Monday.

Rolltide likes this.
  4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I received the VC-S2 ALU yesterday. So far I'm pretty amazed by it. Even straight out of the box my Okki Nokki was never half this good. The metal arm is fantastic, and the platter spins so fast its startling at first. Five rotations occur in about five seconds. Using the supplied cleaning fluid records are coming off completely clean and dry, but best of all static-free. After all the frustration with the Okki, this thing feels like moving from a flint spear to an F-16 jetfighter.

5. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

Where did you order it from?

6. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

This may be the one I need :cheers:

7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

MusicDirect.

IGD Positive likes this.
  8. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Im wondering what's the difference in the 2 other than the size? I'm now wondering if they have the same motor? If so the smaller one is $100 less. Its about the same size as my Record Doctor V. What I do now is spin clean and vac with Record Dr. V.

Calling MusicDirect to see....ok made a quick call to MD. Said they have the same motor but the bigger one has a more stable platform. Said its better for scrubbing records.

9. Slippers-on

So the real difference beside the size is the smaller VC-E has a plastic clamp.

10. Slippers-on

So Ordered the smaller VC-E and a 5 box vinyl set of "The Stan Getz Bossa Nova Years"....both for same price of the bigger machine.

Catcher10 likes this.
  11. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

Got to admit the small one tempts me, I dont have a cleaner yet and rely on using my dads from time to time and getting my own is preferable. His is the mk1 Project vac cleaner and has done a stellar job so buying a later model doesn't worry me at all.

12. Slippers-on

I j
    Just couldn't think of a reason to need the bigger machine. The cat at MD said the bigger one has a more stable platform for scrubbing but that made no sense to me. Its not like the record is actually rest or is laying flat on the metal platform as you scrub. I guess he felt the extra $100 was better for his commission, but he would have still got it I suppose.....I ordered the last 5 box set of Stan Getz "The Bossa Nova years" on sale for $97....$31 bucks off. The cat was also rude when I challenged him on his logic. So I told him I'd call back. I did that to get another cat, so his rudeness wouldn't get a commission from me. The smaller machine takes up the same foot print as my Record Dr V. So i'm cool with that.

13. Sedwards

Sedwards Senior Member

Good to hear your assessment. Looking to replace my 16.5. I've had my eye on the VC-S2 ALU since I first saw it a couple of months ago. It can be had for $100+ cheaper from Amazon.UK than from MD even with the overseas shipping, but returns would be difficult and costly. S0 was waiting on some reviews.

14. TheOtherGalen

TheOtherGalen Well-Known Member

Slippers,
    I signed up just to give some input on the Pro-Ject VC-E. I picked mine up in the middle of November from Upscale Audio and have been thrilled with it. I love the small footprint, and it's not too noisy (subjective, of course).

As far a differences between the VC-S2 and the VC-E, the main ones, as far as I can tell, are overall size and the size of the tank (2.5L vs 0.5L). I have spent hours at a time cleaning records and haven't had any problems with the tank size. And like I said, I love the smaller footprint. I call BS on your contact at Music Direct as I don't see stability being an issue to begin with, or at least not a selling point.

A couple of items of note:
    - Yes, it is fast, and according to Pro-Ject, will completely dry a record in one or two rotations. I can say this is true IF the record is just the right thickness. Generally, I found it to be closer to a half dozen revolutions, or about ten to fifteen seconds to dry. I can certainly live with that.
    - One thing that's not obvious from any of their promotional photos is the fact that - unlike the VC-S2 and their prior models, which vent from the side of the cabinet - the vent on the VC-E is on the top of the cabinet, between the spindle and the cabinet edge, and vents upward, directly onto the bottom of the record. Accordingly, there were times that I removed a record from the cleaner and noticed condensation on the bottom of the record. It took me a while to figure out that the vent was the source of the condensation. I have since made a diverter to direct the exhaust outward, rather than upward, but before doing that I had a couple of records "sticking" to my MoFi inner sleeves while inserting them because one side was no longer entirely dry due to the slight condensation on one side. After discovering the problem and before making the diverter I would have to remove the record and if there was any condensation on the bottom, hold and shake the record until I could see the condensation disappear.

Those are the only two things that I've noticed as potential negatives - the first because they advertise as if every record can be cleaned within two revolutions and the second I see as a minor and correctable design flaw.

Galen

15. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your thoughts on the Pro-Ject VC-E. Venting onto the record doesn't seem like a great design especially if it producers condensation on a clean record. Glad you were able to engineer a fix. Any more details or photos of the fix would be appreciated!

McLover and IGD Positive like this.
  16. TheOtherGalen

Joe,
    I'll to snap a picture of it tonight if I remember and if I'm able to post an image. Basically, I went down to the auto parts store and hunted for something packaged in that clear molded plastic with cardboard backing, keeping in mind the maximum allowable profile in order to fit between the record and the cabinet top. Found a cheap tube of adhesive something like this packaged just right, dumped the adhesive and the cardboard, and cut off the nozzle end of the plastic to create a "duct" of sorts. Stuck that on with some rubber cement and sealed it with thin strips of matching duct tape. ;) Works like a charm and doesn't seem to be bothered by moisture while operating or emptying.

Galen

Joe Spivey and Slippers-on like this.
  17. Slippers-on

Thanks Galen. Care to share how you modified it?

18. TheOtherGalen

Slippers,
    See the post just above yours, for now. If I can, I'll post a photo later.

Galen

Slippers-on likes this.
  19. Slippers-on

Thanks again, Galen. After almost purchasing the larger machine I thought the smaller one would give me the same results...so why not get the smaller one and a bunch of albums? So that's what I did. I was able to snatch the last Stan Getz box set and the smaller machine for about .50 cheaper than just buying the bigger machine...and because it was the last Stan Getz box collection I got it at a deal of a price. And after reading your review I'm sure I made the correct choice. Thanks again.

20. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

One of the reasons I went with the ALU is I didn't fully understand all of the differences, and in buying my third vacuum-powered RCM didn't want to take any chances. In addition to what is mentioned here, it appears the arm is different as well. I think I do prefer the larger size as its nice to not have the records hanging over nothing for non-quantifiable reasons, but I will say it's huge. If I weren't using it on a workbench in the garage more or less set aside for the purpose, it could be a problem.

I'm doing five revolutions vs. the prescribed two at the moment, but because unlike every other RCM I've used there's no fear of static, there's no real reason to hold back. I too had the issue Galen describes where a seemingly dry record reveals moisture once put in the sleeve - I'm thinking in my case the culprit is a small "dead zone" between the clamp/label cover and the deadwax at the end of a record that doesn't get vacuumed as well. I'm making a point to avoid this area when I'm spreading on fluids and am getting better results.

izgoblin, Joe Spivey and IGD Positive like this.
  21. TheOtherGalen

If it wasn't for the smaller footprint of the VC-E, I don't know that I would have purchased a motorized record cleaning machine so readily. I didn't want it to have to be something that is left out, and whether left out or stored the larger versions are, like you said, huge.

You mention the "dead zone" as a possible culprit - I actually watch that area while drying to determine the dryness of the overall record. If I don't see any moisture there, I'm more confident that the rest of the record is dry. I don't worry about fluid going that far in, and haven't had any problems with drying or with the label getting wet (as long as I tighten the clamp enough).

Galen

Joe Spivey and Rolltide like this.
  22. Sedwards

Sedwards Senior Member

I'm glad you mentioned this. Prompted me to look up the footprint since I keep my RCM in my listening room and my 16.5 just fits perfectly on the table I use for it. The S2 is a couple of inches wider than the 16.5, meaning it wouldn't fit.

Looks like I'm going to have to go with the E because of size issues, which isn't a big deal except I hate the idea of that top vent! In your experience was the condensation there on the first record you cleaned or after cleaning multiple LPs? I typically only clean 2-3 records at a time, at most, so wondering if the condensation issue arises after a more prolonged use. Thanks!

Slippers-on likes this.
  23. TheOtherGalen

I definitely didn't notice it until after I had cleaned quite a few records. Could be that the motor warms up the inside of the cabinet? Could be affected by the temperature and humidity of the room? I don't know - I just don't see why they chose to vent upward, considering how well the rest of it is designed. BTW, until I created the diverter I'm using now I simply formed a piece of aluminum foil into a duct and taped it to the top in order to direct the exhaust outward. Worked just as well - just doesn't look as good and isn't at all durable.

Slippers-on likes this.
  24. Sedwards

Sedwards Senior Member

Thanks. Maybe I'll just stick a piece of sponge in the vent when using to absorb any condensation (or maybe just cap it) and take it out when the machine is just sitting there to allow for evaporation.

Slippers-on likes this.
  25. Slippers-on

Besides what you mentioned, the only other issue is a little fluid dropping off record.... besides the machine rather than ON the bigger machine. But no biggie.....I keep it on a table and I can put a town underneath the machine if it is a problem...but I don't see that being really a problem.