CHANGESNOWBOWIE. New RSD Live CD & Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by edenofflowers, Jan 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular! Thread Starter

JoeF., TonyCzar, Maurice and 4 others like this.
  2. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

blastfurniss likes this.
  3. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

The music is really good, but the whole radio show was the thing to have, which included for example David talking with Siouxsie Sioux, and Scott Walker moving him to almost tears with his birthday tribute to the Dave.

But yeah, the music is very good if you like 1990s dB, as everybody sane surely does lol whatever. :)

4. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

This is more in line with a RSD release IMO. There has been too many rereleases of albums that are easy to find original pressings, not desirable or both. I'm anxious to get in line for this on vinyl. This is great news!

5. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

Good material, horrible title. But it could signal that '90s Bowie is ready to be (semi-)properly curated and boxed in some fashion, right?

chickendinna and Rooster_Ties like this.
  6. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

7. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

LADY STARDUST!

Free hint: Make the Youtube play in fullscreen mode, and you can read the tracklisting...

8. EduM

EduM Well-Known Member

And what about the Is it any wonder EP? Does anyone has any inside information about what are these tracks?
    It seems to me that the ChangesNowBowie is just a prequel of the 50th anniversary concert....

9. kevimetal

kevimetal Forum Resident

10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Parlophone/Warner's/Columbia are ringing every last cent out of the Bowie dollar. The 7" boxes last year should have scrapped the bottom of the barrel but these guys are experts for shaking down fans.

joeislive likes this.
  11. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

I remember Bowie in the 90's and no bugger was listening even though there were some great creative albums during that period. Post death I suspect that this period may get a positive re-evaluation....and a lot of people will forget they hated it at the time.:)

CBackley, joeislive and Rooster_Ties like this.
  12. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

For CNB expect to pay probably 30-40 bucks, euros, pounds since it's RSD and limited, maybe more if they box it up with prints. Quick buck for a show that was ready, mixed and already broadcast.
    I expect the streaming EP to be like last year's stuff. Warner Music's poor old Nigel Reeve is probably struggling to keep at least a hair ahead of the copyright extension deadlines for unreleased stuff approaching 50 years.
    [​IMG]
    All this work for him so soon after the Christmas holidays, with Bill Zysblat telling what he found in 2020's letter from Bowie to have released. He must've been too exhausted to even invent fake artist names to put the copyright stuff on streaming services. Then having to work with his design department to work on all the artwork (knowing they always leave some misspellings in there that their project manager will oversee). At least they didn't have to come up with a title for the rehearsal stuff.

13. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

These little releases make me happy. If it's anything like the acoustic performance of Dead Man Walking sign me up. I'd love an official release of the birthday concert but probably tough to make that happen given the contractual issues related to all the guests. Much more interested in this than Spying thru a Keyhole or Conversation Piece. As someone else mentioned this Bowie period didn't receive a lot of attention at the time but I think history will judge it very kindly. Some really great material, a cracking band and the man himself seemed to be confident and engaged in a way he hadn't been since Let's Dance/Serious Moonlight.

vlad676 likes this.
  14. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I welcome this but in keeping with the Changes theme, the ChangesNowBowie title should have been used for a new compilation rather than a live album. Gosh knows the world is due for a new Bowie comp!

EduM and CBackley like this.
  15. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Yeah I don’t understand the naming of this album. Surely they were better off swapping the names of the love album and rarities EP?

EduM likes this.
  16. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

ChangesNowBowie was apparently the name of the radio show these songs are from.
    Changesnowbowie - BBC Radio 1 England - 8 January 1997 - BBC Genome

I'm mildly interested in this release. Finally a nice collection of rare(r) stuff on CD for Record Store Day!

TonyCzar and Rooster_Ties like this.
  17. So, is the CD of 'ChangesNowBowie' a limited RSD-only release?

I've never bothered to go on Record Store Day, because I've only ever read what a fiasco it is (and I really never buy vinyl hardly, least of all 'new' vinyl).

But I would REALLY want this new 'ChangesNowBowie' CD, and I'm hoping I don't have to mess with all the RSD nonsense to get it. Surely it isn't an exclusive CD, is it? (I guess nobody probably knows, and only time will tell.)

You all might recall that 90% of my favorite Bowie is all 90's and 2000's Bowie -- almost everything AFTER Tin Machine. And I pretty much only buy music on CD (especially new music), if at all possible.

TonyCzar likes this.
  18. Tullhead

Tullhead Forum Resident

Well the 'Now' part made some sense in 1997, it's daft now. Changes1997Bowie might be a better title.

19. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

No inside info. I expected it to be the 1997 WBCN tracks - or some of the many other radio-station appearances from '97 when Scary Monsters was played as a "Country Version", but to make the title of the EP make sense they'd need to include Little Wonder - maybe from SNL 1997-02-08. Maybe 1997-09-26 CFNY 102.1 Toronto, Canada plus the two SNL songs?

pablo fanques likes this.
  20. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

That one SUCKED.

CBackley likes this.
  21. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

lol corrected

CBackley likes this.
  22. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

Studio tracks please

CBackley likes this.
  23. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Is It Any Wonder has nothing to do with Little Wonder. Is It Any Wonder was the almost unrecognizable live drum and bass version of Fame from some of the '97 shows:

fishyboots, obi, RAZORMADE and 4 others like this.
  24. EduM

EduM Well-Known Member

I have a bootleg from that time, 1996 or 1997, with the complete radio show and it is called ChangesNowBowie. Perhaps that was the name of the radio show.

vlad676 likes this.
  25. Don't entirely disagree, but historically "ChangesNowBowie" did mean something at the time, and the 'Now' part did refer to a place in time.

I'm pretty ok with the title, especially since it was so early in Bowie's mid-90's rebirth (still relatively close to when Outside came out in late 1995 -- so this radio broadcast was barely 15 months later, literally).

Certainly Bowie was experiencing a rebirth of sorts, starting with Outside. And Earthling was barely one month away from when this broadcast happened (released on Feb 3, 1997). So the 'Now' made perfect sense, as in here's what Bowie's up to NOW -- and, oh my gosh, there's been some new 'Changes' again!

I like preserving the names of things. They are what they are, and if the name was meaningful then, then the name helps refer to a place and time in someone's life. 'Changes1997Bowie' is looking back, whereas 'ChangesNowBowie' seems like more of an active voice. Just my 2 cents.

ARK and Tullhead like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.