Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. ropiyas

ropiyas Forum Resident

Thanks a lot for that one, man. A truly thing of beauty.

Hattipper likes this.
  2. Chains

Chains Forum Resident

And where could someone hear these edited loops of yours?

3. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

You may certainly enjoy the highlights CD (listen to samples) but -- this is the twilight period of a mighty band. Either get the best-of collection (Echoes) as previously suggested or dive right into a classic album like Dark Side of the Moon if you haven't already (I'm not sure how much of a newbie you be).

If you're totally new, allow me -- Pink Floyd is a monolith and there's certainly a lot of stories and mystique around their existence. My sincere recommendation for anyone new would be to get something like Dark Side while reading about their strange, mad history. The rest will reveal itself if there's anything there for you. But yes, a highlights CD from this box set would be totally fine and enjoyable. They were a good and accessible band during this period. Sophisticated, dark, and mysterious -- but very accessible for a wide audience.

4. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

I can't believe how many times I have listened to Delicate Sound of Thunder since I got my box set. It has replaced PULSE and the 88 soundboards as my favourite live recording from their later period.

5. Tiago Fernandes

Tiago Fernandes Forum Resident

Sound advise right here. Although Pink Floyd isn't a Greatest Hits type of band, they really translated well in Echoes by cobwebbing all the songs into a unified "Greatest Hits" album. Although a gimmick, can't get more closer to the real deal without diving into the albums.

Pink Floyd are all about concept albums, with main themes. Their albums work as a single song/listen.

This latest CD is only a sampler.

6. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

THIS^

7. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I’m not regretting buying the box at all. I have watched and enjoyed the video content and will watch DSOT again soon, and the music, especially DSOT, is on constantly.

8. chav

chav Active Member

Well, I supose that proves my point, the original films have more image on the bottom, the top, or both.
    I wonder how they dealt with the cinema 4k version...

hiterss likes this.
  9. chav

chav Active Member

By the way, I recommend a visualization of the DVD version of DSOT 2019. The movement was re-worked, it looks like a 60fps video, not a 23.976fps film.
    And the grain and dirt has gone.
    If you're watching on a PC, I recommend using the latest version of VLC, with "deinterlacing" set to "automatic".

Lost In The Flood and hiterss like this.
  10. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

^^ Uhhh okay
    Do NOT pay $24 for Honk unless it's the 3CD version with the recent live stuff on it... there are some good tracks there on the 3rd disc with various guest artists from this decade of Stones tours. But on all versions the sound is very loud and compressed. If you want a single audiophile CD of that period of the Stones, which is enjoyable to listen to loudly, and actually worth that much money, look for the original (non-remastered) editions of Rewind or maybe the Virgin CD Jump Back (again, the UMe 2009 remaster contains loud and squashed sound like Honk has)... you'll probably only find them second-hand

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    croquetlawns likes this.
  11. tcj

tcj Senior Member

That's... um... interesting logic there. You're still out the money for the set. Couldn't this logic be applied to anything? And, by the way, consider that anyone working salary is not going to have this "luxury." To work that out, they'd have to get a second job. It's fine if you're happy and it worked for you, but you are in no way not out the $350~ for the box. I saw someone else say that it looks like many who passed on the box are coming up with justifications to make themselves feel better for that choice, but I'm seeing the same thing coming from those who bought the box. The only justification necessary for buying it is "I wanted it and I could swing it." I won't begrudge anyone who can do that, even though I can't personally justify spending $350 on this set. I wish it was a more reasonable price but that's Pink Floyd for you.

12. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

My bank account disagrees...
    My logic is my own whether u agree or not, I answered a question and my account is reflecting a net gain after the purchase regardless of how it occurred. To be fair in reporting, I purchased during the 3 for one deals with 2 others so it was 1/3 less then the 350 you indicated
    Justify your own purchase or non purchase as you wish, I promise not to judge.

There were many of my friends who thought the $20 dollar tickets on the momentary lapse tour were priced too high and passed on attending. I went to 3 shows without regret or looking back.

Gimme the next box....

LivingForever, Geordiepete and chav like this.
  13. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

I am actually pleased that they offered a decent download option for those of us who wanted the music.

I personally do not have a 5.1 set up, I only ever watch concert videos once, if that and while I do appreciate the books and goodies, they sit on my shelf and I rarely look at them.

So hi-res downloads for me are the perfect option and I have been enjoying them a lot.

14. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Go for "Echoes", and get "Grrrrr" or "Forty Licks" which cover The Stones later years more than adequately
    It's not logic. You didn't get the box free. You worked extra hours for it. You're entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts.

15. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Everyone rationalizes things differently. If that's what works for him and makes him feel at ease with the purchase, good for him. Enjoy your set without worrying about the justification!

16. silvina

silvina Forum Resident

One of the reasons I've buying the single CD is that, I enjoy Gilmour voice more than Water's.

17. silvina

silvina Forum Resident

I've heard DSOTM, WYWH and The Wall. The one I enjoyed the most was WYWH.

As for the Stones, the only GH I've seen at the local shops here in Montevideo is Honk (I bought Singles Collection in Buenos AIres). Well, I bought Past Masters here, but I don't know if that counts as a proper comp

Anthrax likes this.
  18. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

The facts are just how I stated. It has nothing to do with logic really. I was asked how the “money was already back in my acct” I answered the question . Not sure why it’s hard for some to understand

Geordiepete likes this.
  19. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

"Honk" or "Grrrr" are largely interchangable in my opinion : If you like Gilmours voice "Momentary Lapse" and "Division Bell" are, understandably, the more accessible ones.

silvina likes this.
  20. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

It isn't hard to understand how you think that way. The money is back in your account, but you had to work for it. You chose to spend the £ on the set, and you chose to work extra hours to pay for it. Your statement that it is a "freebie" isn't correct though. It cost you time, which, as you were paid for it, isn't free.

21. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I did say in a “sense” which is correct. I’m not disputing the facts since I’m the one who offered them

Anyway, looking forward....

Geordiepete likes this.
  22. nedison

nedison Peter Blegvad's #1 Fan

I’ve just dropped in to register an observation that the main theme of ‘Slippery Guitar’ is melodically reminiscent of ‘Go To The Mirror’.

Perhaps evidence of a Gilmour/Townshend scheme to reform Deep End and mount a mid-90s ‘Ambient Tommy’ tour? :shh:

Billy_Sunday and fishcane like this.
  23. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I'll be more than happy to post a link, but I'll have to do it when I'm home and have a moment.

24. Chains

Chains Forum Resident

Thanks, no hurry!

25. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

I don't understand comments like this. If you're here merely to mock purchasers of the Later Years box I suggest you keep your posts to yourself mate. With due respect.