Barnes & Noble in-store Bl. Fri. music deals?

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Black Elk, Nov 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Is it me or B&N can’t give away any albums by Diana Krall and Don Henley.

Davidmk5, slashdot87 and superstar19 like this.
  2. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

If you buy vinyl you owe yourself a trip to your local Barnes and Noble. The titles at 50% off are not stems and seeds by any stretch. I could not pass up Iron Maiden's Book of Souls for $17.50. I mean 3 lps for that little c'mon. I'm not even that big of a fan. Finally got The Stones Blue and Lonesome, and for less than $20. Fun trip to the store. Gonna hit a few more locations tomorrow.

dee and Jspmike like this.
  3. japes

japes Senior Member

Saw something interesting today...my local indie shop bringing in bags of half priced records from Barnes and Noble to supplement their own stock. I even found a few B&N exclusives already in the new arrivals bin.

A good sale indeed...

jeffsab, JasonA, Davidmk5 and 3 others like this.
  4. dee

dee Senior Member

Not surprised, but interesting all the same...looks like that shop wasn't alone in doing so!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    Jspmike likes this.
  5. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

From my experience, you can pull off the 50% off sticker easy, but at least at my local B&N stores, they stick on those theft deterrent RFID-type things that stick like crazy to the shrink wrap, so not easy to remove without damaging the shrink. I guess they can just paste over it.

But it's interesting that apparently 50% off B&N pricing (plus tax) is cheaper than whatever wholesale pricing your indie shop gets. Anyway, sounds like a win/win for both stores.

superstar19 and Davidmk5 like this.
  6. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

My local Barnes & Noble stocks WalMart exclusives! What’s up with that?!

[​IMG]

7. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

My store in Temecula seems to be putting out some more vinyl (not a lot) at 50%.
    Just picked up the 2015 Then Play On by Fleetwood Mac for $12.50.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    superstar19 likes this.
  8. coolcreek

coolcreek Forum Resident

I hope not! That crud has been circulating around town since November - I’ve already had it twice! I’ve just finally stopped sounding like a combo frog & goose...

9. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

That is a great version. It was at the B & N I went to tonight. I almost bought it........even though I already have it......I may have a problem.

10. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Well me too...
    There is a silver-colored Tusk at my Walmart I might snag tomorrow lol if it is still there....

11. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I say they use the same distributer

12. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

You messed up. It's wonderful

13. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Got a 15% off one item coupon via email. Wonder if that stacks?

14. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

The fine print states that it cannot be used with other sales... but it’s always worth it to try. Btw, my coupon is for 20%.

I miss the olden days of Borders where they stacked virtually every coupon you could throw at them! I remember buying box sets at 70% off. It was a glorious time!

slashdot87, davers and superstar19 like this.
  15. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

...I've made repeat trips to the four Manhattan B&N's that stock vinyl, and the sale definitely appears to be working: Lots of stock has been moved over the past two weeks. Haven't seen new items added to the sale bins, though...I may check out a few stores over the weekend and see -- it's been nearly a week since my last visit. Be curious to see if their vinyl selection becomes more conservative in the future.

For me, I only really bought LPs at Barnes & Noble when I had good (20% off or more) coupons...it's a great place to get decent deals on Run Out Groove titles...

16. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Right, just read the fine print, and there's a LOT of it. Too bad. If I'm passing by a store, I'll stop in and see if they'll take it, but I picked up pretty much what I really wanted on my last two trips.

17. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Yeah, I found it to be a nice backup to grab any of the Rhino special series (SYEOR, Summer Of Love, Rocktober) titles that I couldn't find at the local. The coupons/sales seemed to be frequent enough that I could get them for a pretty decent price.

18. coolcreek

coolcreek Forum Resident

Was checking out the stock in Rockville, MD this afternoon and a gentleman scanning in new LPs asked if he could answer any questions for me. Why YES.... I learned that, as pages earlier, the sale is 50% off albums that haven't sold in X amount of time and can't be returned to the distributor. He hadn't seen any new 50% off titles added to their stock since the sale started, nor had any sold titles been replenished. But new vinyl that isn't a part of the sale had come in during that time. Which leads one to conclude they're clearing out stock on hand - though it's likely there are more of those titles warehoused somewhere.

dee and Jspmike like this.
  19. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

Even though the stores aren't ordering any more of the sale vinyl into the stores there is still stock of some titles in warehouses. Stores will be happy to order it for you. In the stores computer system it tells booksellers how many copies are in the warehouses and which stores have stock too!

superstar19, jlf, dee and 1 other person like this.
  20. wynnwikman

wynnwikman Senior Member

My local store didn't have much selection, but I was able to order some from the warehouse. I just found out today that some of the ones I ordered won't be coming, including the one I wanted the most - David Rawlings - Poor Davids Alminack. I got to another B&N tonight and they didn't have a copy either, though I found Gillian Welch - The Harrow and The Harvest.
    Does anyone out there who can find a David Rawlings want to trade for the Gillian Welch? Its sealed, but has a bit of wear to one of the stickers on the front.

21. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

And this also provides some insight as to why they are no longer in business. It’s been proven many a time that you can’t lose money on each transaction in hopes of making up for it in volume!

mrjinks and Jspmike like this.
  22. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

I've noticed that since Barnes & Noble got new owners the amount of coupons they send out has decreased dramatically - although they did send me a 20% off coupon this weekend. Pink Floyd's "Momentary Lapse of Reason" purchased!

Kym and keithdylan like this.
  23. dee

dee Senior Member

I'll be hitting a few more stores in the area this weekend to buy a few more titles I want at these bargain prices for tbose titles and to bring a few UPC codes with me to ask to order a few titles these local stores don't have. I think I've bought over 20 records so far and none have been a dud. Only a few I didn't care for the sound of, but primarily not 1 bad pressing or damaged vinyl out of the whole bunch. Also sampled some online audio of some titles I hadn't heard before and was happy to then find out I didn't need or want those lol. Hard to believe I passed on the Hendrix Atlanta Pop Festival. By the time I decided today why not just get it, the one local copy had finally sold. I do have the cd's fwtw.

Fingers crossed with these final few LP purchases this month.

Jspmike likes this.
  24. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Seems the new owners have also decided to phase out vinyl over time.

25. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Disagree. Moving out dead stock that hasn’t sold in a year and is not returnable does NOT mean they are phasing out vinyl. It means they are trying to keep their stock fresh.

Bloom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.