Do you accept the new Star Wars trilogy as canon?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by zinger_ghretzel, Jan 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Somebody asked either Abrams or Favreau, "hey, who came up with the idea that powerful Jedis could heal people, Rise of Skywalker or Mandalorian?" And I think the answer came back, "the idea was floating around and it was decided to use it in both." It wasn't clear where the idea came from, but it was clearly new crap they were flinging at the wall. I'm very curious what Lucas thought of that.

If you want to extend the idea further, I'm sure there are "rules" about how powerful the Jedi would have to be to pull it off, how extensive the injuries could be, whether they could heal themselves or only others, how long you could wait before attempting to heal somebody, and so on. It does open the story up to a lot of scrutiny, where you could say, "wait a minute! If they could heal people, then why didn't they heal so-and-so?" So it's messy. The moment you reduce a threat in a drama, particularly a fantasy, then it starts screwing with story logic. I liked it with Baby Yoda, but seeing it in Rise of Skywalker made me wince a bit, especially when they bring back dead characters.

I think that's close enough when you include reshoots and second unit shoots that it could be considered six months. In a way, it didn't matter because it was Lucas' money, but trust me, they still counted every penny. It's been said that George has never acknowledged what the "real" budget of the movies was, since he didn't have to answer to anybody except producer Rick McCallum and his own bank account. The point is that schedules are always very nebulous: I know of films where a shot or two was literally photographed just days before release, like in the editor's office or in the studio parking lot, and we were dropping it into the final master the day before the premiere or (in the case of TV) air date. Schedules these days are very fuzzy, particularly when the edit changes, and digital workflows give some people the impression you can alter anything at any time without regard to schedules. (Like Cats.)

I will say this: Lucas enjoyed being frugal during production in terms of not having to build bigger sets and so on. He truly believed he was inventing new ways to shoot that were faster and more efficient than what Hollywood had been doing, and he was proud of that idea. Famously, years later he walked onto the set of one of the recent Star Wars films and was kind of appalled that they had taken up tons of space and spent an enormous amount money on actual sets, and he kind of shook his head at what he thought was waste. He felt that using green screen was far better. I'd counter that there's value in having a physical set right there so that the director and actors can ad-lib and come up with new ideas and unplanned shots and angles not in the script. There's no surefire paint-by-numbers formula for filmmaking, and sometimes you have to do whatever it takes in terms of time and trouble to do it right.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  2. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

I don’t think you can argue the new trilogy is anything but canon, as it comes direct from Lucasfilms.

Now is it any good and is it worth watching - that is an entirely different issue. All I will say is that I have heard non-canon “fan fiction” Star Wars stories that I enjoyed more than this trilogy.

In the end you can piece together any story you like (it just won’t be canon is all).

David Campbell likes this.
  3. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Re. the healing, the way I see it Rey probably read about it in one of the "sacred Jedi texts". I would imagine that in the days of the Republic they didn't bother with them or even the island/planet Luke went to as they had everything they "needed" in the archives (Just an assumption). I've also speculated that the whole thing about the "midichlorians" is that the Jedi order had begun to move away from the more spiritual side of the force. I suspect with "Baby Yoda" that his use of it is much more intuitive, I think Rey is the same way actually.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Of course they are canon.

I wouldn't mind seeing an animated series though which was a bit like the Kelvin timeline is Trek where Palpatine does actually die in ROTJ (when the Death Star is blown to atoms that is what would happen), Ben never goes dark, Rey is never discovered and we see a whole different story play out.

5. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I have yet to see the latest film, but I of course view them as canon. The main characters from the old films (Han, Leia and Luke) never appeared anywhere else, so I take this as the definitive continuation / ending for their stories.

That said, I can't say I love what I've seen of the latest trilogy so far. Some good moments and a few new good characters, but not my favorite movies. Still better than the terrible prequels.

The Mandelorian
    has captured the vintage Star Wars vibe better than anything else that's come out since Return Of The Jedi, IMHO.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    David Campbell and BeatleJWOL like this.
  6. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

they're movies, not the bible, of course they're canon.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  7. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Not at all. It’s just not clicking with me, maybe I’m just getting old. I am so grateful that I was around to appreciate the first two films when they came out, now THAT was going to the movies:)

8. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I suppose they should be considered canon - but they're easily ignored :)

9. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Yeah, Lucas could really throw some s*** at the screen and low and behold, much of it stuck.

My thoughts exactly. I did like Natalie Portman, Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson's performance. Liam was one of the best Star Wars "actors" ever.

I think the prequels are every bit as good as Plan 9, they just benefitted from a larger budget and more marketing dollars.

Where is Ed Wood, when we could have really used him?

That and the annoying kid.

They really were bad!

Prequels were Springtime for Hitler BAD! Good ole George deserves an Ed Wood award for gifting these to humanity.

B'Awful should be fired out of a cannon, a BIG cannon!

10. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I used to think D&D was called roll playing because of all the funky dice.

BeatleJWOL and Madness like this.
  11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm not sure whether the many instances I've seen lately of "roll" used instead of "role" are due to people not knowing how to spell, or autocorrect.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  12. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I think it's fitting that Disney now owns Episode 1, since Jar Jar was obviously a Goofy rip off.

jeroemba likes this.
  13. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I enjoy the Sequel Trilogy more than the Prequel Trilogy, so yes.

While I am a fan of Star Wars in general, I am not a hardcore enough fan to worry about if something is canon or not.

14. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

No I consider them garbage and a disgrace (As most of us do :))

Motorcity supernaut likes this.
  15. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

oh yeah...so how come now there are all these pieces of it? o_O And why does it look so much SMALLER than it seemed to be??? Inquiring minds want to know!

I'm waiting for it to be revealed that Jar-Jar actually IS Emperor Palpatine in disguise :eek:

16. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Really bad writing

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Lucas has said for years that Jar Jar Binks was not only an original character, but that it was his favorite character of all time.

George Lucas still loves Jar Jar Binks

20 Years Later, George Lucas Still Names Jar Jar Binks His Favorite ‘Star Wars’ Character

George Lucas' Favorite Star Wars Character Is the One Everyone Hates

You can't make this **** up. I hated Jar Jar, hated the Ewoks, hated the robot soldiers ("Roger-Roger!"), and really disliked a lot of the forced humor in the show. The snappy one-liners were fine. And for the record, I really, really hated "Yub Nub."

The 1983 audience I was with for Jedi went into a state of shock with this song. A whole lotta "WTF?" BTW, note that it's the 78-year-old Sebastian Shaw playing Anakin Skywalker at the end of this version. Just sayin'.

SandAndGlass and seed_drill like this.
  18. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Not that I am a big fan of the Mouse, but it was definitely time for Lucas to exit the franchise? From the first three prequels, it was long past the time for George to make a graceful exit.

Maybe Disney could consider remaking the first three prequels and pretending that the original prequels did not exist?

I for one, would go to see them. Just imagine, no Jar Jar and no annoying Anakin.

Oh, and for my money, they can keep Darth Maul, he was pretty lame also.

[​IMG]

rnranimal likes this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And then there's this...

[​IMG]

20. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Literally the only thing the Special Edition revisions did right that bettered the original theatrical versions was the quite beautiful new music cue John Williams wrote for the end scene of Jedi... a beautifully poignant little piece of music that perfectly fit the scene... a lot better than the above!!!

Oatsdad likes this.
  21. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

I voted for 'I'm not interested' in the OP's poll - but this has me worried. If I care enough to vote, and read the ensuing thread discussion, does that qualify as 'interested'?

Because God help me if I'm interested in Star Wars! Some angry online uber-fan is going to seek me out to determine if I'm truly interested or just, you know, casually predisposed and therefore unqualified to speak about the series in anything other than a very general and uninformed way.

22. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Dont be afraid to say your not interested.... In my opinion ONLY TRUE STAR WARS FANS LIKE ONLY THE ORIGINAL 3 MOVIES!! (Everyone else doesnt care about quality/purity which is sad)

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I did laugh at the new music, because it's basically like "Greensleeves," some kind of folk instrumental with a lute and a mandolin, while there's a crowd of thousand of Ewoks and a few humans rocking out and clapping their hands to disco music that isn't there. It's an odd moment.

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

We're not supposed to think the Ewoks and Rebels can hear the music. Yes, that was the case with "Yub Nub", but the new music is clearly non-diagetic...

25. Nope, I don't,it's a substitute just like Lumpus eggs are a substitute of real Beluga caviar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.